Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BullShooter
[
Shaman-
I appreciate your dissertation that my query somehow prompted.

I suspect that as a spiteful response to the 270, a 256 Newton would have exceeded the 270. Based on a slightly modified 30-06 case, Newton's cartridge was introduced about the same time (1913) that the 270's long gestation began. At true 6.5mm cartridge, it's what the 270 wants to be when it grows up and loses 0.013" of baby fat. Admittedly, because one can't buy cartridges for the Newton at the local Mart, it's not quite as practical as the 270.

I'm uncertain what role practicality may play in a shamanesque environment.

--Bob

What role? I would say as little as possible. I once had a college professor who had "Through Absurdity, Truth." written in Latin up on the wall of his office. One of the chief purposes of the shaman is to do just that.

Or as one of my colleagues once said: "I provide comfort to the disquieted, while disquieting the comfortable." The trick is to stay on that ragged edge; you don't want them putting you on IGNORE, just enough to keep them tuning in to see what the crazy bugger is going to write next.

.256 Newton is rather neutral in my book, and I'm quite well disposed to 280 Remington. I suspect the 270 thing was due to reading too many magazines in the barbershop, and doing so at such an impressionable age left me with lasting scars.

They're not necessarily permanent either. I was similarly vitriolic about 308 Winchester until about 15 years ago and now a 308 WIN rifle is my favorite deer gun. I suppose if someone went back and researched it , they could find the issues of Outdoor Life that did this too me-- probably starting the summer of '64 or thereabouts.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

In 2007 Randy Marsh missed the word "nagger" on TV he had to find Jesse Jackson the head of all blacks to apologize.

In 2007 Zumbo dissed AR15 ownership rights, he had to find Ted Nugent, the head of all hunters to apologize.

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And BY IN LARGE, a FUDD is a Conservative Yankee, also known as a liberal.

Just because you're the leper with the most fingers doesn't mean you're not a leper.

And I've quickly learned conservative "rebels" are no more conservative than conservative "yankees" are. I'm more socially conservative than the vast majority of them. But back to Zumbo. I could care less if he said Remington 700's need banned. One mans opinions don't move me that deeply. My grandfathers were both war veterans and hunters and they both felt "assault" rifles should be banned. I never hated them because of it.

Family can be cull too. If you don't fight stupid where you find it, then what the hell are you doing to help? Obviously not a damned thing.

Congrats?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Originally Posted by shaman
... As reported here recently, I even bought a 25-06 rifle just to spite the concept of the 270 Winchester and I bought a bunch of 270 brass and resized them to 25-06. I get a very gratifying feeling as I "knock the queer" out of that 270 brass. ...

Shaman-
I appreciate your dissertation that my query somehow prompted.

I suspect that as a spiteful response to the 270, a 256 Newton would have exceeded the 270. Based on a slightly modified 30-06 case, Newton's cartridge was introduced about the same time (1913) that the 270's long gestation began. At true 6.5mm cartridge, it's what the 270 wants to be when it grows up and loses 0.013" of baby fat. Admittedly, because one can't buy cartridges for the Newton at the local Mart, it's not quite as practical as the 270.

I'm uncertain what role practicality may play in a shamanesque environment.

--Bob

You guys really need to go kill some stuff. Bunch of whack jobs..... grin

You really sit around thinking about this shidt? LMAO.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just because you're the leper with the most fingers doesn't mean you're not a leper.

And I've quickly learned conservative "rebels" are no more conservative than conservative "yankees" are. I'm more socially conservative than the vast majority of them. But back to Zumbo. I could care less if he said Remington 700's need banned. One mans opinions don't move me that deeply. My grandfathers were both war veterans and hunters and they both felt "assault" rifles should be banned. I never hated them because of it.

Family can be cull too. If you don't fight stupid where you find it, then what the hell are you doing to help? Obviously not a damned thing.

Congrats?

These are WWII and a Korean war veteran that you are referring to as "culls". I thought the Conservative way was to honor our vets?

Last edited by moosemike; 02/06/16.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Someone's service does not give them a pass to support the removal of rights.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if anybody else picked up on this but I think Jim Zumbo posted in this thread.............Twice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if anybody else picked up on this but I think Jim Zumbo posted in this thread.............Twice.

That thought crossed my mind with one suspective post...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Congrats?

These are WWII and a Korean war veteran that you are referring to as "culls". I thought the Conservative way was to honor our vets?

Voting for the likes of Obama and Bernie is the greatest disservice one can do to Veterans. Men that fought and died to protect the Constitution and people elect people that want to destroy it.

You ain't the smart one in the family, are you

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never voted for Obama and I'm sure not voting for Sanders, azzhat.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
As far as needing a guide, sorta like JOC.
I liked his articles on elk hunting.
I understand why his dislike for AR-15's and hunting too. My cousins started out with semi-auto 22's. We had single shots. We would end up with the rabbits and squirrels. They'd end up with empty boxes of shells.
As far as fat men go... Hey

Good post.

Not a Zumbo fan...not a Zumbo hater.

Not a fan of the AR for hunting anything but what they were originally designed for, and yes, I have/shoot ARs.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The often used term "Fudd," while somewhat annoying, is apparent when viewing threads like this.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Someone's service does not give them a pass to support the removal of rights.
This

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Bugger
As far as needing a guide, sorta like JOC.
I liked his articles on elk hunting.
I understand why his dislike for AR-15's and hunting too. My cousins started out with semi-auto 22's. We had single shots. We would end up with the rabbits and squirrels. They'd end up with empty boxes of shells.
As far as fat men go... Hey

Good post.

Not a Zumbo fan...not a Zumbo hater.

Not a fan of the AR for hunting anything but what they were originally designed for, and yes, I have/shoot ARs.

But bet you hunt with bolt guns.... lets see now... 1903 springfield ring any bells....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Liking or not liking a certain gun, tool, car, etc. is everyone's right..where that right becomes offensive is when the dislike is an affront to my rights. Zumbo made this mistake. At least he had the balls to say what many feel, including many on this very site.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by liliysdad
The often used term "Fudd," while somewhat annoying, is apparent when viewing threads like this.

I have zero interest in AR's so perhaps I'm a Fudd. Of course there are few things I enjoy more than an AK-47 and a couple magazines of x39's. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
9mm handguns and 223 ARs are the biggest sellers.

Go to the range and that is what young people are shooting.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Clarkm
9mm handguns and 223 ARs are the biggest sellers.

Go to the range and that is what young people are shooting.

Thanks Clark -

My S-W 6906, 9 mil is my fav self defense weapon. grin
Guess that makes me "young". laugh

B T W - I am 66. frown

Actually -- I wish I had gotten it in S-W 40 but I am too well stocked on components to even consider swapping. Oh Well.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fudd
Slang term for a "casual" gun owner; eg; a person who typically only owns guns for hunting or shotgun sports and does not truly believe in the true premise of the second amendment. These people also generally treat owners/users of so called "non sporting" firearms like handguns or semiautomatic rifles with unwarranted scorn or contempt.
"See sonny, all those pistols in that cabinet... all thems is good for is killin people." -Example of ignorant comment from a fudd at a local gun shop. See also: Zumbo.

Zumbo
1.) A person who speaks from ignorance.

2.) A person who has his head buried so far up his ass he can't see the truth.

See that Zumbo over there, he used to be a well known outdoor writer until he pissed off the masses with some ignorant statement about banning guns.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I blame people more who should know better.
I can't think of any examples that are worse than a gun writer that writes the 2nd should be infringed.

I'm thinking.... a child protective officer that rapes toddlers.

Ok, that's worse.
Zumbo should get out of jail before THAT guy.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

614 members (204guy, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,260
Posts18,448,161
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.