Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Those are too kool for skool! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, thanks, I will check this out.. We will be in that area later in Feb. I think season is in til March, but will have to check.. That is good to know.. Again thanks..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A black squirrel would be a trophy to me. I'd mount that rascal.

GunNut, you like the 24s too I see. Are the barrels regulated good on yours? Mine were off a little and when I took it in the woods for the first time I carved a shim out of a piece of maple and wedged it between the barrels. Shoots to point of aim with both barrels now but my rear sight is at its highest setting.

Great pics, I especially like the grey and black squirrel. Are they bigger than greys?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
WCH, I have been to Michigan a couple of times but didn't hunt any. I had rather be in Wyoming any day of the week. I would however like to visit the U.P.. While I was in Michigan I did notice black squirrels. My band mates said I was grumpy I remember telling them it was nothing a few days off the road and in the woods wouldn't cure. I would have loved to hunt and fish some of the places I have been.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
ingwe, thanks, I will check this out.. We will be in that area later in Feb. I think season is in til March, but will have to check.. That is good to know.. Again thanks..

I understand there are really quite a few squirrels in there, and I know for a fact they have filtered up the waterways as far north as Bridger montana. They are considered an invasive specie here. No season and no bag limit grin
They follow the water and the deciduous trees around it.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Was hoping to get out for the last day or two of the season, but there's still 18" or so left on the ground and the access roads are likely not cleared yet.

Oh well, still a month of wabbit season left.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Weather was awesome today. 50 degrees and sunny. went for a couple hrs. Saw 2 squirrels, got a shot at one, and missed. frown I was off to a great start this year, but since late Oct. I've been out 7-8 times and haven't seen hardly any squirrels. I've shot at a couple, and missed. Tomorrow is the last day of our season. If it doesn't rain, I'm gonna hit it for a couple hrs., then hang it up til next Aug. 15th.

maddog

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
ingwe, that is good to know about squirrels in Montana.. We spend some time there each year.. Kind of depends what else we have going.. We also go to the Big Horn Basin a lot.. On those trips we make a run to Billings for shopping.. I haven't shot a tree squirrel for probably 10 years.. Did go out Fri. and shoot 5 fat cottontails with my Sako .222.. Could have shot twice that many, but 5 is about all I want to clean at one time..Naturally, my camera's battries were dead.. So no pics.

Seal, I can understand about being in Wy., but I enjoy traveling.. Mich. has some pretty great fishing.. I would much rather eat a bluegill, perch or salmon that any trout I ever caught.. Brookies are good, but nothing compared to the others.. Not to mention walleye.. The U.P. is a cool place.. Love traveling though there, but too thick and swampy for my taste.. But it was Robert Traveler's country, and he was an awesome writer.. Also Hemingway..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunted a couple of hours this afternoon but saw nothing. It was pretty windy but not cold so at least I didn't freeze from the breeze. Hunting has been frustrating since Christmas, seeing very few since then.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Wyo: If you find the squirrels, remember your limit is ten ( I checked...) I have it from a good source there are as many as you can stand to shoot in the cottonwood bottoms.
Please keep me apprised of the rabbit situation down there. If the upswing continues I will visit myself upon them again next fall. grin

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Gladly..

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seal_billy
A black squirrel would be a trophy to me. I'd mount that rascal.

GunNut, you like the 24s too I see. Are the barrels regulated good on yours? Mine were off a little and when I took it in the woods for the first time I carved a shim out of a piece of maple and wedged it between the barrels. Shoots to point of aim with both barrels now but my rear sight is at its highest setting.

Great pics, I especially like the grey and black squirrel. Are they bigger than greys?

I have four mounted at home: one of the black ones, the "panda", a brownish one and the more common silver. The other black one is on the wall of the gun store I work in. I don't kill much else worth mounting but I'm squirrel poor. And yes, the foxes are considerably bigger than our greys.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have three 24s, .22LR/.410, .22 Mag/20ga and .357 Max/20ga. Both of the rimfires are well regulated and the rifle barrels are pretty darn accurate with ammo they like. The Maximum is a bit of a pain in the arse...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Been out hunting three times since the last post, and have not seen a single squirrel. frown

Don't feel bad, I hadn't been in a couple of years and I went this morning and only saw one. It was in the biggest cluster of brushy undergrowth ever. I didn't even try. I would have never found it. I went to my favorite spot and built a small fire to warm up and relaxed for an hour or so, shot the ol savage 24 a few times and went home. It was a good morning, better than work or sitting on the couch.

Last edited by seal_billy; 01/31/16.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Today was like yesterday, warm but strong winds. I decided to just stay in and do some house chores, not worth fighting the wind traipsing around to see nothing. We have one more month to go here in Alabama, so I'll get out as much as I can.

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Yesterday was our last day of the season, for this year. Didn't go because it was cloudy, windy, and kinda rainy. Instead, I put all my hunting clothes away and cleaned my .22s.

maddog

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Won't be long til Aug.!! Ever go to some of those states with a spring season???

Molon Labe
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
No I haven't. Be honest, no more pressure than squirrels get, here in Indiana, they could extend the season from Jan. 31st to the end of Feb./Mar.

maddog

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Speaking of pressure, i wish I could say the same. But the squirrels around here have always been super skittish.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice morning in the woods today.managed a couple and missed a couple,but good fun with the .22 mag

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I went this morning against my better judgment. It was 20 degrees and very windy and snow on the ground. I had never hunted them with snow on the ground before. I figured it would be quiet, nope snow made a crunchy sounds when walking and I couldn't get close enuff to make a good shot with my open sighted .22. Shoulda took my scoped .22 mag. cause they were skittish.

Last edited by seal_billy; 02/13/16.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,509
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.