Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Brobee Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi Folks!

So I am in the final semester of a graduate degree right now, and I managed to set up one of my courses as a project involving my super-awesome-hobby that is gun enthusiasm! For part of the project, I want to get a bunch of folks to try "The Hunter Rifle Challenge" as per this YouTube video I put together:

http://youtu.be/jmP_MYlTtSo

The initial challenge is modelled after the awesome Cabin Fever Challenge put together by RifleChair; I've tweaked the format so it is more conducive to being done with a run-of-the-mill hunting rifle. The concept is pretty simple:

• 8 inch diameter circle target ("http://www.eclecticworks.ca/hmc/target_20cm_bull.pdf"
  • 100 meter range, either formal or informal - anyplace that's legal and safe
  • Any hunting rifle - optics/irons all good, any caliber, any action
  • 2 rounds standing
  • 2 rounds kneeling
  • 2 rounds sitting supported
  • 2 rounds sitting unsupported
  • 2 rounds prone
  • Time measured from first shot to last shot (easily accomplished if you video yourself)
  • Score = (hits x 100) / time in seconds
  • Submit your results in this thread!

If you post your results, it would also be AWESOME to read a bit about what type of rifle you use (type, caliber) and why it's the rifle you chose. Even more awesome would be a photograph of you, your rifle, your target, all in the setting where you shot the exercise.

If I can get enough folks to participate and share their results from their first couple attempts, I'll compile some statistics and share them here in this thread, including results I get from other folks on other forums. In my fantasy world, by the end of February I'd like to get a couple of hundred results to stick into my statistical model.

After we get the baseline data on our collective level of skill right now, I'll post up additional challenges that use reduced-scale targets we'll shoot from the 5 field positions (listed above) at 25 meters to see how much we can improve our positional shooting before next fall. Here's a couple of examples of the targets we'll use for phase II:

http://www.eclecticworks.ca/hmc/Target_Bull_Elk_BE001.pdf
http://www.eclecticworks.ca/hmc/target_bull_moose_BM001.pdf

Sincerely hope folks find it interesting enough to try, and would DEEPLY APPRECIATE folks posting their results here. If you are uncomfortable posting your results in a public forum, I'd also be thrilled to get them via PM and rest assured I would ensure your confidentiality.

Can't wait to see what you come back with! For the video I ran the challenge with a single shot Ruger No.1, I'll be doing it again this coming weekend with my CZ550 bolt gun.

Cheers,

Brobee

GB1

B
Brobee Offline OP
OP Offline
B
PS: Forgot to add that I'll likely be changing the scoring formula such that the square root of the time in seconds is used, not just the raw time. This will create a more even balance between hits and time.

All I would need from participants is:

Total Hits
Total Time (seconds)
Rifle (Make/Model/Caliber)
Did you have fun?
Any other observations you'd like to share?

Cheers,

Brobee

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the target was a bit bigger and shaped like the azz-end of a deer, it should inherently be much easier to hit. I know a lot of guys that can't hit a paper target worth a damn, but they are rather reliable paunch and azz-shooters from nearly any position. Funny how that happens...... grin

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JPro
If the target was a bit bigger and shaped like the azz-end of a deer, it should inherently be much easier to hit. I know a lot of guys that can't hit a paper target worth a damn, but they are rather reliable paunch and azz-shooters from nearly any position. Funny how that happens...... grin

laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm gonna use a paper plate.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I know some guys that are hell on wheels on paper but can't hit nothin alive properly worth beans..

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by las
I know some guys that are hell on wheels on paper but can't hit nothin alive properly worth beans..

Those same guys can't shoot magnum rifles for chit too huh... OP, you want to look at a hunter rifle challenge, look up the postal shoot put out by carl ross. A lot of the chit talkers that shoot 1/2 moa rifles all day long shut the fu ck up pretty damn quick on that shoot. I'm still waiting for steelhead to post up his targets... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
ya know, nothing trumps trigger time and familiarity...

learned that from a fellow campfire member recently...

we all know it and all forget it all the time...

you practice off hand a lot, any supported position suddenly becomes a lot easier...

working at 100 and then moving out to 150 and then master that, out to 200....

go to the range several times a week now, with 50 rounds that I single shoot...5 at a time at a target on an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper ran off from the internet... and keeping them in a booklet, to learn where they are hitting and what I have to do to adjust the POI from my shooting positions..

Amazing how fast one can tighten up your groups in a short time...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Jackrabbits are good for learning to shoot from field positions.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
WTF is the difference between a supported and unsupported sitting position?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
One is supported, the other isn't, duh...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Using sticks is supported, no sticks is unsupported.

Always take a rest if available.

Should be fun.

Back in the day when 4 position shooting with a sling was the norm hunters were far better prepared than those who only shoot off a bench.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks, spalding.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by doubletap

What in the earth's holy fugk does a guy from Atlanta know about shootin jackrabbits?

Dave the Conqerer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In general I like the idea, and do something similar with some tweaking.

The target is a plain 8-1/2" x 11" white piece of paper, usually over some brown background. Cheap and easy.

Shot two shots starting from hot or cold depending on how you hunt. Do this five times for a total of ten rounds. Using two makes you work the action, and can penalize you with recoil.

Use any position, but start standing.

Use any range. 50 to 300 yd. should require gear no more exotic than a scoped rifle. I haven't done this past 100 yd. with metallic sights, because the target is too small to see well.

Time the shots.

The one with the most hits wins, and time decides ties. Ideally us mighty and talented hunters would always have ten hits. If not maybe we should have taken more time.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by deflave

What in the earth's holy fugk does a guy from Atlanta know about shootin jackrabbits?

Dave the Conqerer

Clark,

He reads a lot about some guy out west who shoots the schit out of the little self propelled pop up targets.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bro,

I'm not sure how much you'll learn with 2-shots at 100y. Can you fill us in regarding the design of your experiment? I get the fact that you are trying to limit the number of shots, presumably to save time and expense for the guinea pigs.

My buds and myself were recently shooting paper plates at 100y with our hunting rifles. Offhand wasn't easy but everyone hit the plate...except for one shooter on his first shot. After that miserable performance he redeemed himself, but he was using 10x grin

Seated, kneeling, and prone were a breeze at 100y. But we didn't time anything. Or measure groups.

Personally, I'm interested in improving my 200y offhand but am struggling at the moment, as can be seen in the link below. I recall doing my best offhand shooting at 200y with a peep of all things a few years ago.

Field shooting

Jason

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Dave the Conqerer

Clark,

He reads a lot about some guy out west who shoots the schit out of the little self propelled pop up targets.

Well smart azz, I moved here from Oregon. Spent a lot of time in the high desert of eastern Oregon. Even did some hunting in Idaho. They have this new invention called an airplane that makes it possible to hunt away from home.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm gonna use a paper plate.

Travis

Pretty sure we should have some cerveza or distilled beverage involved, and the drill should begin with the seated shots fired from the front seat of a truck. grin

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Will be a week or so before I can get to the range but I'll see what I can come up with for ya.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.