Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Sounds like a plan Bob! Are you still actively working with the Mashburn ?
I always enjoy our discourse, we've explored many subtle points over the years. I am the richer for it.

To the OP : good luck with your .280 Fwt M70 quest.
Mine is a '92 NH Fwt Classic, and it has been a real gem.
Over the years I've had others ( Rem 700 Mtn, 725, 700 KS now AId ), but this is the best of the type.

I truly hope that Winchester can deliver enough of them in .280, so that all who would consider purchasing them can do so.

Waiting over a year for a Shot Show special to "arrive" is just painful.

Hard to find one any better than that. I've admired those, but figured I already have a good 270 win and 30-06...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The best reason to build a .280 on a lightweight rifle is to shoot the 180 Berger. Seems to me, anyway. If not, the .270 or .'06 have it covered.

That and to copy Bob.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by BobinNH
280 owners say the cutest things to try to make their cartridge #1 on a standard case ,especially since their pet has required artificial respiration to keep it alive since it came on the scene in 1956 smile

Like making up things about pressures, bearing surfaces, perfect powder capacity,superior killing effectiveness (LOL!), etc etc. Then, to make their case for how good it is,what do they do? Blow it out to AI and thump their chests about how great it is. If it's that good how come it needed "improvement"? LOL!

Which all gives me heartburn because the 280 is one of my 2 favorite "light" cartridges on the 06 case.

It's amusing to watch and has been going on for years.Old conversation. sick

Like Johnny B once wrote (about the 280 or something else, I can't remember), they remind you of some guy who's into collecting rare and exotic scotch from some Island off the Scottish coast and loves to lecture you on its alleged superiority over anything else coming out of a cask.... grin

Actually after maybe 6-8 or so 280's,I have found the cartridge more temperamental and stubborn as to both accuracy and velocity than the 270. Mention the 7 Rem mag to these savants and they sneer down their noses and dismiss greater powder capacity...their pet is magic and is its equal....at less pressure no lessl... laugh

It's hilarious! I never tire of it. 280 lovers enjoy picking fly shidt out of pepper..

338 I'm wintering fine thanks,loading a lot of 7 Rem mag without the need for making up stuff about 24" barrels and higher pressures.....Laffin.

I like the .280. With a grain or two extra powder, it is ballistically identical to the wonderful .270 but in .284. A Featherweight .280 would be really nifty. I have only played with 3-4 .280s, but unlike Bob, have not found the .280 temperamental. I would give that title to the old '06, though.

I respect both or your opinions. However, I've never had a finicky 30-06. Even though I've owned more than 20 of the damn things. Well, I forgot about the 30-06 I bought from DMD. It had bedding issues which was honestly disclosed upon purchase. It shot great after re-bedding: I can see where this one would appear to be finicky. Here's a quote from JB on the subject of 270 win and 280 rem:

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience the standard .270 Winchester is a great killer on a wide variety of plains game.

Apparently this is also the experience of a lot of hunters in Africa, especially South Africa, because it is quite popular there.

I have considerable experience with the .270 myself, as well as the .280 Remington and .280 AI. They are all pretty much peas in a pod. You can make arguments for the .280's with paper ballistics, but game all dies about the same when you hit them right with any of the three.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Actually thinking of getting one of these and have Douglas put on one of their "Featherweight" barrels. Then a nicely figured wood stock.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/dumoulin-mauser-action.aspx

Those actions are supposed to be a PITA to get scope mounts on. If you have a decent machinist/smith, then it's just a project.
ETA: Talley solution
http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/...ulin/Steel-Base-for-Dumoulin-Mauser.aspx
Also lots of internet chatter they are made in China.
Knew about the scope mount problem,didn't know Talley makes mounts for the Dumolin.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
The best reason to build a .280 on a lightweight rifle is to shoot the 180 Berger. Seems to me, anyway. If not, the .270 or .'06 have it covered.

That and to copy Bob.
Going to use Hornady 139 BTSP & FB in it.

Copying BobinNH,well...... whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by BobinNH
280 owners say the cutest things to try to make their cartridge #1 on a standard case ,especially since their pet has required artificial respiration to keep it alive since it came on the scene in 1956 smile

Like making up things about pressures, bearing surfaces, perfect powder capacity,superior killing effectiveness (LOL!), etc etc. Then, to make their case for how good it is,what do they do? Blow it out to AI and thump their chests about how great it is. If it's that good how come it needed "improvement"? LOL!

Which all gives me heartburn because the 280 is one of my 2 favorite "light" cartridges on the 06 case.

It's amusing to watch and has been going on for years.Old conversation. sick

Like Johnny B once wrote (about the 280 or something else, I can't remember), they remind you of some guy who's into collecting rare and exotic scotch from some Island off the Scottish coast and loves to lecture you on its alleged superiority over anything else coming out of a cask.... grin

Actually after maybe 6-8 or so 280's,I have found the cartridge more temperamental and stubborn as to both accuracy and velocity than the 270. Mention the 7 Rem mag to these savants and they sneer down their noses and dismiss greater powder capacity...their pet is magic and is its equal....at less pressure no lessl... laugh

It's hilarious! I never tire of it. 280 lovers enjoy picking fly shidt out of pepper..

338 I'm wintering fine thanks,loading a lot of 7 Rem mag without the need for making up stuff about 24" barrels and higher pressures.....Laffin.

I like the .280. With a grain or two extra powder, it is ballistically identical to the wonderful .270 but in .284. A Featherweight .280 would be really nifty. I have only played with 3-4 .280s, but unlike Bob, have not found the .280 temperamental. I would give that title to the old '06, though.

I respect both or your opinions. However, I've never had a finicky 30-06. Even though I've owned more than 20 of the damn things. Well, I forgot about the 30-06 I bought from DMD. It had bedding issues which was honestly disclosed upon purchase. It shot great after re-bedding: I can see where this one would appear to be finicky. Here's a quote from JB on the subject of 270 win and 280 rem:

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience the standard .270 Winchester is a great killer on a wide variety of plains game.

Apparently this is also the experience of a lot of hunters in Africa, especially South Africa, because it is quite popular there.

I have considerable experience with the .270 myself, as well as the .280 Remington and .280 AI. They are all pretty much peas in a pod. You can make arguments for the .280's with paper ballistics, but game all dies about the same when you hit them right with any of the three.

BSA,

Many have had great success with the '06, but it hasn't lived up to my expectations, and though I am not superstitious, it has always seemed "unlucky" for me in a variety of ways. Maybe it's mental on my part in that one good '06 could do everything well. Instead, I get to have and play with a couple of great 270s, an equally great pair of .300 Win's, a nice .280, a nice .300 Weatherby and an 8mm Mag that is superb, all of which do about the same thing as a good '06.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 02/07/16.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Also, to the OP, I say get the .280 Featherweight. Great classic rifle or slip it into an Edge and have more modern and near perfection. The 1:10 twist I believe Winchester puts in these will limit longer bullets, but a 150 Partition or NBT should stabilize and will do much!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Sounds like a plan Bob! Are you still actively working with the Mashburn ?
I always enjoy our discourse, we've explored many subtle points over the years. I am the richer for it.

To the OP : good luck with your .280 Fwt M70 quest.
Mine is a '92 NH Fwt Classic, and it has been a real gem.
Over the years I've had others ( Rem 700 Mtn, 725, 700 KS now AId ), but this is the best of the type.

I truly hope that Winchester can deliver enough of them in .280, so that all who would consider purchasing them can do so.

Waiting over a year for a Shot Show special to "arrive" is just painful.

Hard to find one any better than that. I've admired those, but figured I already have a good 270 win and 30-06...

Yup - No flies on either of those. That's why they are the King and Queen !

With my .280 Fwt Classic, and 700KS in 280 AI it is very difficult to justify anything in .270 or .30'06. My backup is a M70 SS Classic in .308

Back story on my commitment to the .280 Rem & AI, is that I had hunted with a borrowed BRNO in 7x57 w/ a low mounted 2.5x scope, and open sights. I only fired it on paper to confirm sight-in, and Dad said it was "Ok, and don't get too attached to it" Hmmm
Returning that was not easy.
It was a natural pointing wonder, that fed cartridges like greased lightning; slow or fast cycle. I can't comment on accuracy, but it was minute of cow elk accurate. Yummm

I wanted more MV, and the magic of that mauser , which led me to study on the .280.

Later, I could've stumbled into equally good .270's or .30'06 , but I persisted with my passion, and the Fwt .280 has given me much of the same thrill as that 7x57. I had a wood/blue 700 Mtn that wasn't as accurate as I wanted, and I started looking for .280 w 24" barrel to possibly punch out to Improved ( RCBS or AI ). They were scarcer than hens teeth. Many 22" .280's went through my hands until I dummied up, and realized that I really wanted a 22" .280 for Whitetail etc, and the 24" 280 AI for Mule Deer and Antelope, maybe Cariboo. Now I am happy.

Knowing what I know now about the chambering & throating variances of 7x57's, 275 Rigbys etc. I don't think I would mess with it today.
I would have to take a long hard look at a 7mm-08 first, in a Win M70
if the .280 wasn't available ;-)

I suspect that a 22" 7mm-08 120BT could do it all

Cheers

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 40 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,614
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.