Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Use in pie crusts for the best, flakiness, and most flavorful crusts. Also, use for deep frying doughnuts and rosettes- you will never be satisfied with Crisco or beef lard again.

I have nowhere near the experience as JJHack but I have shot a few. I'll agree with him regarding the thoughts going through the mind when following a bear. I haven't lost one but I often had second thoughts while crawling through the brush on hands and knees looking for blood.

I further agree on weapon choice. In MN we have only a fall season where one has to contend with thick fat and heavy fur. These prevent a lot of outside blood loss unless a large exit hole is left.

Shooting from an elevated stand is commonly done here as we mostly shoot over bait which keeps the exit low further helping with blood sign. The two bears I did not shoot from a stand left little blood and I was lucky enough the one shot with a 54 caliber muzzleloader dropped in a cornfield where he was easily seen down a row and the other fell a few yards away after being shot 5 times with a 357 mag pistol. Neither had low exit wounds and had little showing blood.

Shot placement is also key. As mentioned, a bear's vitals are a bit more forward than on a deer. I wait until the near leg is moved forward and then shoot close to it. Most times I get both lungs, the heart, and off shoulder since I wait for the bear to quarter a bit away from me. That is the best angle for an arrow from what I've been told so I figured it would be just as effective with a rifle.

That bears are mostly solid black and are shot at last light can have an affect too. It can be harder to align the sight to a vital place as sight or reticle can blend in with the bear. This makes placing the shot correctly a little tougher which further enhances the claims of a bear being hard to kill.

With a 30/06 or 300 mag, using heavily built 180 gr or heavier bullets I get full pass through and a short trail. It's not infrequently the bear dies right there as the bullet passes close enough to the spine to drop the bear immediately. This seems to occur more often with the larger bores of 35 caliber and bigger.

Bears aren't tougher than deer if hit solidly in the vitals but they can be tougher to find, both physically and mentally, afterward. Having claws and sharp teeth only add to the mystique of the bear's toughness.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've killed in the neighborhood of 30 black bears, some on bait, but mostly spot and stalk. For me, 80% of the time it's a one shot deal, but bears have seldom dropped on the spot and usually run a ways, sometimes quite a ways, even with a perfect double-lung shot.

Here and there, one really hangs on and takes a surprising amount to stop. Overall, they hang on a little longer and are tougher to stop than a similar sized deer and I've learned that if you have the opportunity for an "insurance shot", take it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
On the bear fat subject:

I use berry-fed bear fat for everything I cook, including the "butter" on my breakfast this morning. There are a couple of gallons in my fridge at the moment. If you have the opportunity to render some, don't pass it up!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
As a hunt club this year in WV we took two during rifle season. Both were with 243s using 95 nosler ballistic tips. Deer they ain't but a 95 does just fine.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well I worked at a Sporting goods store where they registered and weighed black bears. I talk to people who hunt them with dogs and shoot them out of a tree. I have seen bears that are 400 lbs or even more. I have only shot one over bait and a 225 gr Nosler Partition through the heart stopped him in his tracks. I think hunting with dogs is the way to go but it is not legal in Minnesota.
Wisconsin allows it and it is popular.
I think people who use iron sights at dusk in the woods probably think bears are hard to kill because it is hard to make a clean shot.
If you have a good scope that might make all the difference.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot them with 223, 250 Savage, 358, 375 Winchester, 300 mag. Probly others I don't remember. I don't recommend the 223. Things can get exciting.

Here's next years crawling-through-the-manzanita-thickets-bear-gun that I finished recently. It's a Savage 99 in 375 Winchester with a much shortened barrel. I swapped out the straight gripped heavy wood for curved grip featherweight wood, and the straight lever for a curved one. Now it hangs on one arm like a proper levergun should. Shoots nice little groups and handles fast. Should be perfect for calling them up close.

[Linked Image]

LOL
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wow! I didn't realize the 99 was avail in .375 Win. Cool rifle.

Guy

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
JJ - thanks once again for contributing so much to the discussion on hunting black bears!

Appreciate you sharing your experience with us.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JJHACK
As has ben mentioned here I was a damage control manager for a 360,000 acre tree farm in Wa. State. Because of the situation I was permitted to kill bears with any means needed with the exception of poison. No season, no limit for the first few years not even record keeping was required!

During this period I ran hounds in the areas that had road access, and I ran baits in the remote roadless fringe areas, or near highways where I did not want the dogs running out of sight. In some places I used culvert traps and some places Kleflock spring loaded cable snares

I think the " low heart rate" issue was addressed properly. It's a mistake to connect a hibernating heart rate with the active heart rate. A bear does not actually hibernate, they simply go into a dormant state and sleep. A hibernating animal is in a type of self induced coma. They cannot be aroused and active when hibernating. Funny the most common animal attributed to hibernation is the one that does not actually hibernate! A bear is quite easily woken up when you find them in the middle of winter! We did this frequently with radio tracking gear to tag the cubs, and change the collar of the female. ( once darted, They were fully awake and not pleased to be interupted)

I think one of the most common situations with bears seeming to be difficult to kill has little to do with the statement. It has to do with the difficulty to find them and the amount of bears that are lost after being shot. Many folks shooting a hoofed animal casually follow up the track and comfortably trail it,... and go find it, or at least look for it. Many don't even have the gun with them, just use a flashlight.

There is a point when following up a bear that has not bled much, a common situation with the heavy layer of fat and the thick underfur which absorbs quite a bit of blood. At some point as the blood is getting complicated to follow, the big soft feet not leaving any visible tracks, and the thick bush a bear will seek out.

This changes the outlook on recreational sport hunting for a lot of folks. It is no longer fun, it's no longer just a blood tracking challenge. It becomes a potential life threatening problem. This is especially true for the person alone in fading light or no light. Had one fella tracking his bear with his Cell phone "flashlight". Tracked is so slowly the battery died and then left him with no ability to call for help, and no more light!

The bear that has been shot might have only gone 100 yards, however that hundred yard radius is a lot of ground to cover when you're paranoia is creeping into your comfort level to do this. I believe this is one of the things that reflect on why some folks say they are so hard to kill. I think the statement would be more accurate, they are so difficult to find (possibly so intimidating to find as well)

I have heard grown men express that the bear must have only had a superficial wound because the blood ran out and he tracked is over 100 yards. I contend that the animal was probably killed and just ran without any blood to track and rolled under the brush out of sight. However the fella will go use the tag on another one now.

I have tracked a whole lot of big game in my career. Without exaggeration several thousand animals. Bears are without question one of the most difficult because the fur and fat have an incredible ability to stop the blood flow. In the thick forest habitat they inhabit, the forest floor is not usually good tracking with their big soft feet. They do not leave sharply dug in hoof tracks.

I have been knocked down and chewed and clawed by a bear, Their threat level is real. It may only be 1 in a 100 that will decide he's had enough of you and wants to call your bluff. When that decision is made there is a big problem to solve that will not allow much time to react to your course of action. These stories begin to haunt the recreational sportsman looking for a bear he has just shot. Just a couple years ago I was asked to track a bear that was shot the previous evening. That bear was quite difficult to track in the 6' tall thick blackberries. On hands and knees seeing just spots of blood over the course of 1/2 mile I found myself 20 feet from this bear when he decided to stop walking and call my bluff. I shot him quite hurriedly two times at near point blank under this canopy of blackberries. He died within touching distance of me.

This bear was originally shot with quite a powerful rifle, but the shot was not well placed. To far back. Cartridge power does not make up for proper placement. This past September I killed my 25th black bear with my Bow. I've never had a bear go further then 100-125 yards with an arrow. Many have died within 40-50 yards. I've seen them go further with a big powerful rifle and a great shot. The real beauty of the arrow on bears is the ease of following the blood trail. Broadheads really slice them open and the blood flows with enthusiasm! I've seen well over several hundred killed with my 44 mag revolver, many in snares, treed, or just while hunting or in other situations on the tree farm. They will run anywhere from DRT to 100 plus yards. That big .430 diameter bullet lets the blood flow very nicely as well.

Where the blood flow begins to seriously struggle is on bears shot above centerline of the body and with bullets smaller then .308 diameter. There is plenty of resolution on this to justify my strong opinion. Sub .308 bullets just do not provide the same blood flow that bullets .308 and larger do constantly. Exceptions apply to every opinion. Mine is no different. I have seen blood spraying out the entry hole when a bear was shot with a 25/06, and a 357 mag revolver. However for every one experience like that there are dozens or more that provide nothing to follow after the first 40-50 yards you have nothing.

One last experience with this. Lots of bears are shot by people in the high country across canyons or clearcuts. When the range gets to be 250-300-400 plus lots of problems are possible. Even when everything goes right with a perfect shot the bear is still lost. This can even happen with a DRT bear!

When you shoot that far and have to drop down into a low canyon and climb the opposite ridge and arrive at the location you think you were shooting at. Nothing looks the same. Looking back at where you think you shot from nothing looks familiar because you did not see it from that direction when you shot. Now you could be 50-80 yards above or below the elevation, maybe 50-75 yards right or left. Now you have a big area to search. All that while that paranoia is creeping in because it's not a deer you are looking for. It's a meat eater with canine teeth and ten powerful claws that you just perforated. This guy did not wake up happy that morning and now you went and poked a hole through him.

As this plays on your mind, the determination to continue fades and the comments about " Black bears are so tough to kill" plays on your mind. " well no blood guess I missed" yeah but it is laying 50 yards below you dead, you just never found it.

It's easy to solve this with a range finder and a couple feet of surveyors tape. Mark the tree you shot from. Range the spot you shot at with your LRF. Then when you cross the gap and range back to the tape you will be at the exact distance although it could still be to the right or left, at least you're in the ball park.

Well that's my take on this topic, it's worth what you paid for it!

A Hell of a lot of nerve you have... actually posting with experience.

And your point about how bad the guy really wants to find that wounded bear in the dark is well put.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not a bad way to use a rangefinder, either.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Art, there are a million things I can't do or have never tried.

Bears and African game fall into my sweet spot of experience and knowledge. Mostly because that's been my job.

When you love what you do you never work a day in your life!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've taken 3 bears over bait in Quebec. All dropped within sight. I use a .35 Whelen with 225 gr Accubonds. I think I would have done about as well with a .30-06 with good bullets.

I know a couple other bear hunters. One has taken 25+ with a .308 using factory 150 gr core-lokts. His shot placement is good. His rifle looks like it was "rode hard and put away wet."

The other hunter I know has taken maybe 7 or 8, but has lost a couple with poor shot placement. His first loss was shot with a .30-.378 Weatherby. So, he decided he needed a bigger gun and moved up to a .338 Lapua. Guess what! A couple years later he lost another bear with a poor hit with the Lapua.

Shot placement trumps headstamp.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have you noticed the length of hair on the very biggest bears where it hangs down below the chest? I know of one lucky 27 year old boar that I shot too low because of it. The long hair made the body look deeper than it really was. I told a young kid about him when I moved from the area and darned if he didn't go find him and shoot him with a lever action 45-70.

LOL
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by GuyM
I've heard that they have a very slow respiratory rate - don't know that - but have been told that.

And that this can give them a tremendous ability to continue running, even after taking a shot to one lung...

Concur Gerry, that shot placement is likely the biggest problem - they're kind of a big, dark, furry ball, and look different in the sights than do the deer we normally hunt.

Guy

The respiration/heart rate thing is rolled out pretty often, but that came from hibernating bears. Look at the muscle... very dark meat due to lots of myoglobin which stores oxygen in the muscle for endurance.

Take away blood and they still have enough oxygen to go a long way.

I have watched over a hundred get shot with a strong half being ones I shot. Being raised to shoot ribs, I did, but don't. I prefer to make an exit wound with an X on the far side shoulder... that stops them.

Two of my worst bear experiences came by way of smallish black bears yet Young calls them cowards...

Good bullets from today are far better than yesteryear's and that makes the shoulder shot good.

Very educational.......

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Judman
I've heard that they have a very slow respiratory rate - don't know that - but have been told that.

And that this can give them a tremendous ability to continue running, even after taking a shot to one lung...

Concur Gerry, that shot placement is likely the biggest problem - they're kind of a big, dark, furry ball, and look different in the sights than do the deer we normally hunt.

Guy

The respiration/heart rate thing is rolled out pretty often, but that came from hibernating bears. Look at the muscle... very dark meat due to lots of myoglobin which stores oxygen in the muscle for endurance.

I have watched over a hundred get shot with a strong half being ones I shot. Being raised to shoot ribs, I did, but don't. I prefer to make an exit wound with an X on the far side shoulder... that stops them.

Two of my worst bear experiences came by way of smallish black bears yet Young calls them cowards...

Good bullets from today are far better than yesteryear's and that makes the shoulder shot good.

Very educational.......

Phuqueoff! You are clueless and have zero clues about what the clued-in folks know about bears. Anything you try to pass off as enlightening to you is well known among those that actually get out after bears...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shot about a dozen when I was younger. I wouldn't say they are harder to kill. They are harder to track..............the fur soaks up blood and hunting seasons are when we have no snow.

The real difference, is when you are tracking a wounded or badly hit deer, there is no chance of dying. With bear, there is.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've killed a fair number of bears over the years, mostly in Maine and Canada. I have never considered them any harder to kill then deer of similar body weight.

I did notice, however, that they seem to travel less distance after the shot, if at all, since I started using a 45-70. I tried 425gr hardcast, 400gr JSP and 300gr X bullets and all three put them down rather handily.

Chest shots never stop any of these bullets.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Guy

Very educational.......

Phuqueoff! You are clueless and have zero clues about what the clued-in folks know about bears. Anything you try to pass off as enlightening to you is well known among those that actually get out after bears...

Laffin, dummy, bears ain't too hard to kill, if they run off, simply go find another... great talk...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great and informative post JJ.

Seriously, probably the best I've read on here in quite sometime.

Thanks for hammering it out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Guy

Very educational.......

Laffin, dummy, bears ain't too hard to kill, if they run off, simply go find another... great talk...

Cannot begin to express my level of comfort dealing with bears now that you have assured me they die easy...

Yeah, right!

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,839 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.