Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Salt, I forgot the salt in the water/ice mixture, as noted by someone else

and if you have a kill you want to keep and are not traveling then definitely you should find a freezer to put/hang it in

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jwp475

Dry ice can evaporate in 12 hours or so, to slow this wrap in paper and then place in ice chest

The dry ice will likely never evaporate. At least not in a cooler in a car.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hatari

Carbon dioxide will not harm you. You produce plenty with each breath.

Fear not dry ice, but wear gloves!

Yep.. . But... As % CO2 goes up you could potentially displace the O2 in the air. CO2 doesnt harm you, but the lack of O2 sure can. Experience for many has proven that this wont be an issue in a cooler in a car, as it'll take a long while for the CO2 to completely sublimate and no car will be airtight for that long.

You see this with liquid nitrogen, traveling in a car or storing in a small area without a Dewar could be deadly, despite N2 being completely inert and technically as "harmless" as CO2.

Then there's the question of will the offgas even be enough to cause a problem, which is, as you said, no.

Sorry. Slow morning.

Last edited by Crockettnj; 02/05/16.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ice.....salt (1 lb per big cooler)

Done......it really is this easy

I travel and soak out all meats this way.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you do understand the co2 starts to gas at -109 degrees?

I am trying to imagine the weight of dry ice it would take to travel 6 to 7 days at even 32 degrees

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Could you describe your process a bit more please? Do you just put the raw meat in the cooler with salt water ice around it? Do you wrap the meat in anything?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you like your meat salty?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Raw....quarters
Several bags of ice to completely cover by 2 or 3"
Then take a round pour top box of salt and pour it over the ice

As the ice melts you get a ice salt water mix that is very cold and is anti bacterial

Salty meat?

Nope...not at all

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
tedthorn, I do not understand the "antibacterial" function you describe?

Salt is not antibacterial nor is water. What is the antibacterial dynamic?

I have been doing taxidermy for 40 years now. I have used salt to cure raw skins but the hundreds. Salt is a moisture removing process. Without moisture bacteria does not grow. It's not at all antibacterial it's an extreme desiccant.

With the salt mixed with melting ice it does not remove any water, it's dissolved into the water. I'm not understanding the anti bacterial process. I can say with countless experiences that folks have brought me a cape or hide to tan and mount.

They seem to have believed that they needed to salt the skin in the field. Then when they arrive home they put it into the freezer to keep it preserved until they get it to the taxidermist.

In most cases, nearly all of these cases, the skin is spoiled even with the salting and freezing. This is due to the hide not freezing because it's salted, and not dry because the moisture that the salt pulls out of the hide pools up in the folds of the skin and then begins to spoil.

I was not clear on why this could happen early on. I never believed that sub freezing temperatures could allow decomposition. However it does allow decomposition below freezing especially in the dark.

I do not think it's reasonable to assume that adding salt to the ice creates an antibacterial condition. At least not by my knowledge and experience in the taxidermy trade using freezers and plenty of salt.

In my hunting camp in Africa we do not ever reuse salt because of the bacteria that is in it after the first use. I taught the trophy handling classes at the PH school and for the skinners in Ellisrass South Africa. I very assertively insisted that salt only be used one time, regardless if it looks clean, or if it seems dry. The old salt will introduce significant bacteria to the next hide it's used on.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Many times, like this past year, space is at a premium in our coolers. We brought back ~250# of frozen fish fillets, and there was only a bit of room on top for dry ice. Sometimes a few pieces get a bit soft around the edges, but we've never had anything spoil. Wet ice seems like it would be more of a hassle and probably result in more thawing. Probably not dangerous, but dry ice works just fine.

The Yeti's are heavier and much more expensive. I've installed hardware on my boat decks to allow strapping them down securely. The one on the cockpit deck doubles as a fighting bench. We fill them with flake ice when we get to the coast and it lasts pretty much the entire week. Changing to the high dollar coolers would be a pain.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Done that with beer once.

Got cold quick.

Then froze the beer blush

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by hatari

Carbon dioxide will not harm you. You produce plenty with each breath.

Fear not dry ice, but wear gloves!

Yep.. . But... As % CO2 goes up you could potentially displace the O2 in the air. CO2 doesnt harm you, but the lack of O2 sure can. Experience for many has proven that this wont be an issue in a cooler in a car, as it'll take a long while for the CO2 to completely sublimate and no car will be airtight for that long.

You see this with liquid nitrogen, traveling in a car or storing in a small area without a Dewar could be deadly, despite N2 being completely inert and technically as "harmless" as CO2.

Then there's the question of will the offgas even be enough to cause a problem, which is, as you said, no.

Sorry. Slow morning.
You need some CO2. Hyperventilation is a lack of it. That's why you breathe into a paper bag if you lose your breath when over excited. The CO2 concentrates in the bag and you get a higher dose breathing it back in.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
...You need some CO2. Hyperventilation is a lack of it. That's why you breathe into a paper bag if you lose your breath when over excited. The CO2 concentrates in the bag and you get a higher dose breathing it back in.

Yep, somewhere down near .5-2% or something. Call it 1%?

Higher concentrations could lower o2 conc in air, which is counterproductive after a while.

Its all moot, he (OP) wont fit enough dry ice in a smll apace long enough for it to be a worry. Not like N2.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well not only that, but as I wrote in my original post, the two cool boxes will be in the bed of the pickup under the canopy. Nobody will be in the bed of the truck just some hunting gear and such.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Could a well-sealed or duct-taped cooler result in excessive pressure built up as the dry ice sublimes?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'd expect the duct tape seal to fail before an explosion.

Maybe there's a video of that on youtube.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of over thinking in this thread.
Yeti coolers are awesome. Put the frozen meat in, pack with wet or dry ice if you have room and don't open them until you get home. Meat will last that long in a fridge so why not a good cooler packed with ice? Most of it will still be frozen, some may be thawed but it will all be good.

Good luck on the hunt.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
tedthorn, I do not understand the "antibacterial" function you describe?

Salt is not antibacterial nor is water. What is the antibacterial dynamic?

I have been doing taxidermy for 40 years now. I have used salt to cure raw skins but the hundreds. Salt is a moisture removing process. Without moisture bacteria does not grow. It's not at all antibacterial it's an extreme desiccant.

With the salt mixed with melting ice it does not remove any water, it's dissolved into the water. I'm not understanding the anti bacterial process. I can say with countless experiences that folks have brought me a cape or hide to tan and mount.

They seem to have believed that they needed to salt the skin in the field. Then when they arrive home they put it into the freezer to keep it preserved until they get it to the taxidermist.

In most cases, nearly all of these cases, the skin is spoiled even with the salting and freezing. This is due to the hide not freezing because it's salted, and not dry because the moisture that the salt pulls out of the hide pools up in the folds of the skin and then begins to spoil.

I was not clear on why this could happen early on. I never believed that sub freezing temperatures could allow decomposition. However it does allow decomposition below freezing especially in the dark.

I do not think it's reasonable to assume that adding salt to the ice creates an antibacterial condition. At least not by my knowledge and experience in the taxidermy trade using freezers and plenty of salt.

In my hunting camp in Africa we do not ever reuse salt because of the bacteria that is in it after the first use. I taught the trophy handling classes at the PH school and for the skinners in Ellisrass South Africa. I very assertively insisted that salt only be used one time, regardless if it looks clean, or if it seems dry. The old salt will introduce significant bacteria to the next hide it's used on.

Well by all means please do cary on

I will do so myself....ice, salt and water

Regards
Ted

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by BossHawg
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by BossHawg
Originally Posted by renegade50
I got a yeti sticker and a yeti hat

so people will think I have a yeti cooler and be part of the yeti nation

peer pressure/social acceptance sorta thing I geuss.......

Please, it doesn't matter wtf you have. You will never be socially acceptable.

go skirt up your trailer
keep the possums and stray cats out
laugh laugh laugh
says the man that had 1 of the 4 dogs in his house piss in a outlet in the garage and almost burn the house down.

incident corrected to reflect actual events that took place
wink eek eek eek

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 1,973 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,189
Posts18,465,772
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.