Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#10935901 02/06/16
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I had planned to go on my first Cape Buffalo hunt in 2016. Flights booked and deposit made. Now due to economic issues I will not be able to afford a Cape Buffalo hunt this year (possibly ever). I am not getting younger and the joints hurt more each year.

This question is for those that have been dreaming of a Cape Buffalo hunt for years, but never have.

If you were in my shoes would you 1) hold off and hope that things will get better in the future and you are still physically able, or 2) do a Cape Buffalo cow hunt? From a difficulty stand point it seems the females of the herd animals I have hunted would have been as difficult to the males. The trophy is secondary to me.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pieter will put you on a nice bull without killing yourself. Trust his judgement on this. He will do whatever is needed to create the best situation for you. No worries, wait it out and get the bull.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jim,

I am sure you are correct on that. A bigger fear for me is whether there will ever be another chance. If I am pushed into early retirement I will not be going to Africa again. If I knew that wasn't going to happen then I would go ahead and hunt for a bull this year.

Sorry, when I said that I couldn't afford it I wasn't clear. It isn't that I don't have the money. The problem is whether it is prudent to spend it.

Thanks,
Charles

Last edited by CharlesL; 02/07/16.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I am the wrong guy to ask, probably, but prudence be damned. The difference in what you will spend on shooting a buffalo and not shooting one, will be amortized into inconsequence over the remainder of your lifetime. There are plenty, plenty of still reasonable Buffalo hunts out there. As for the cow, that's tantamount to kissing your sister. GO.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I look at it like this. Assuming all the regular financial/family obligations are in order....

When you're young you usually have no money
When you gather a little disposable income, you usually have no time.
If you are blessed enough to gather some disposable income, and still have your health, I say go.
Often times when you finally get money and time, you don't have your health.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would go on the bull Cape Buffalo hunt and cut back on future hunts and maybe sell a gun or two. Good luck!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've never been a fan of prudence. I would prefer to live without regrets and have the adventures and live the dreams that have accumulated over a lifetime of work. You'll never regret doing what you want. Good luck and have a blast!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was ever that close, I'd go for the bull. Sell the damned truck and buy a used one; sell some firearms, just make it happen.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I went in 2001 on a buffalo hunt in Tanzania that was my "once in a lifetime". Took every nickel I could scrape together from working second jobs as a cop. Cost me a little over $8k. My wife was also very supportive about it and said just go! I, like you fretted over the money and should I go. It was the best money I ever spent. I have been four times since and am trying to scrounge the money together for an elephant. You will never regret going, but you could one day regret not going. We never die with toys, only memories.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Unfortunately I have a 2006 truck that I bought in 2008 and I don't collect expensive rifles. Good advice for most guys though. smile

Last edited by CharlesL; 02/07/16.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Maybe one of our favorite posters, traders, shysters of past will need another kidney. smile

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimy
Maybe one of our favorite posters, traders, shysters of past will need another kidney. smile

smile

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by CharlesL
Jim,

I am sure you are correct on that. A bigger fear for me is whether there will ever be another chance. If I am pushed into early retirement I will not be going to Africa again. If I knew that wasn't going to happen then I would go ahead and hunt for a bull this year.

Sorry, when I said that I couldn't afford it I wasn't clear. It isn't that I don't have the money. The problem is whether it is prudent to spend it.

Thanks,
Charles

Money you can always earn but no amount of it can buy back yesterday. The clock always moves clockwise and never counter clock wise. Go while you still can instead of regretting because you did not go as you lie sick and dying.

Good luck.

Jess

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If there is anyway you can go do it. It will be a lifetime experience. I always have this dilemma and when I just take the plunge the rewards come back many times over.

Almost postponed a hunt because work was slow but just on the drive back from New Mexico I got something like 13 new jobs.

Same thing on fishing trips. Sitting around waiting for work doesn't pay well and you are not your best advocate. The boost in attitude will help you deal with whatever situation arises after the trip.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano
If there is anyway you can go do it. It will be a lifetime experience. I always have this dilemma and when I just take the plunge the rewards come back many times over.

Almost postponed a hunt because work was slow but just on the drive back from New Mexico I got something like 13 new jobs.

Same thing on fishing trips. Sitting around waiting for work doesn't pay well and you are not your best advocate. The boost in attitude will help you deal with whatever situation arises after the trip.

Great advice here. Good luck, whatever you decide Charles.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It can be tough when you are torn between passion and responsibility.

If you are smart, you enter the workforce and work hard, watch your expenses, and save for later.

I occasionally need to remind myself it is now "later". I am far enough along in my career where I have saved and invested on the proper track. I can't walk away and retire anytime soon, but I'm doing the right things. I also am young and fit enough to do most any adventure without physical limitation. However, I know there are some things that will start getting culled off the list over the next 10-15 years - which goes by quickly.

Africa is not getting any cheaper, and hunting opportunities are dwindling. Some opportunities won't be there later.

Example, some 15 years ago I did a 18 day hunt in Zambia that included 1 buffalo and 1 cat. My PH had a leopard on liciense, but had sold out his few lion permits. I could have postponed a year if I really had wanted a lion, but never hunted leopard, and we decided we'd do the lion down the road.

Well, not far down the road, Zambia closed hunting for a couple of years, then reallocation came, and then a couple of more years passed and I looked again at Zambia for buff and leopard. sadly, there is no way could jusitify the expense. Now lion hunting is pretty much done. I have no regrets, but that shows that some opportunities will go and be gone forever.

An African Safari is one of life's highlights. If you can swing it and not end up in the poor farm, I am sure the experience will enrich you far more than spending the same money on almost any other indulgence.

Best of luck with whichever path you choose.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you can semi-responsibly do it, do it. We don't have a unlimited number of tomorrows and things can change in a heart-beat. Age, health, finances, politics, prices and exchange rates can take you from possible to impossible in the blink of an eye and through no fault of your own you can lose that option.

It sounds like its within your reach, you either seize it or risk losing it.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
^
I agree with what Mod70Guy posted.

Since you have already paid a deposit, and booked the flights, it would be a shame to waste that (unless you are sure you can get it all refunded).

If funds are tight, but you can still manage a more limited version of the hunt, I would either go ahead with the hunt and perhaps shoot a cow, or maybe work with your PH and see if you can't shoot a bull with a broken horn or some other defect at a much discounted price.

Not shipping the horn/hide back will save you a lot of money (as will not getting a trophy mounted). Just be sure to take plenty of pictures.

Good luck on your decision.

PS I am going back for buff this year after a 13 year hiatus. Health issues stole about 5 years of my life, and I am now trying to reclaim them before I die.

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead"

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only reason to shoot a cow is when your life is threatened as she charges you.

I just can't get my head around travel 1/2 way around the globe for that effort of time and money only to shoot a cow.

It kinda reminds me of the grade school kids getting a participant trophy instead of having winners and losers. I think it would be a let down in your future to default to a cow.

Hope this does not come off too harsh. Just don't think this is a proper decision.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 3,152 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.