Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10937778 02/07/16
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Decided I need to scratch an itch, a longer range hunting rifle. 7X64 or 280. What rifle? Sauer 101, Sako Grizzly, Cooper, Steyr, or Kimber? I read JB's article in American rifleman about the Sauer 101 and Mauser 12. Wonder if JB bought one? I have owned Steyr's and Sako's, but do not know Sauer's or Coopers. Kimbers I am mixed on, seems they are really good or really poor. Any will be in the $2500 range, and for that money I am looking for some feedback and recommendations from those who own any of these rifles.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I have owned ... Sako's...

You know all you need to know.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+one on the sako!

Ed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What Sako model?

Is the Sako CRF?

Does the Sako safety control the firing pin?

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The Mauser M 12 7x64.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you stretch the wallet a bit more, you can get a NULA made just as you want it--caliber, barrel length, color.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The Sako is the Model 85 Arctos/Grizzy, a sort of a CRF, I believe that it does control the firing pin with a bolt release to unload with safety on. The Sako is a bit porky, weighs more than the others. NULA is a 700 action I believe, not a fan of those in general but a NULA should be sorted. The Mauser appears to be the same as the Sauer 101 except for the safety. The Steyr is also a bit on the heavy side, will have to decide just how important the extra 3/4# is..

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I know people love and hate Kimbers, but I LOVE mine. They shoot and feel great!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What do you consider longer range?

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Always thought a Weatherby in .257 would be a good LR rifle. Of course I never pulled the trigger as LR where I hunt is mostly 150 yards! If I lived where I could use the rifle that would be my huckleberry.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I own a Sauer 202 & it is a much better rifle that the 101, I'd recommend you try one. They are in your price range.

I recently bought a Nosler M48 and for the money it is an in creditable buy. I personally don't like it's grip but you might like it. They are available for $1,000 under your price.

To me the SAKO 85 is just too heavy but they sure shoot.

At your price point you can build a very good custom on a M700/70 action.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
NULA is a 700 action I believe...
NULA actions are proprietary, not 700s. Shape is the same, but they are engineered for strength and lightness. Superb rifles, from all I've read and heard, but out of my price range. Mule Deer has a couple at home, and he wouldn't keep them if they weren't top notch.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The NULA is a redesign of the Rem M700 that removes all the stuff that does not need to be there, and is smaller and lighter. The NULA stock and bedding produce a rifle that will shoot everything to the same point of impact. You would be looking at the M24 NULA for a .280 or 7X64. I sure do like my NULA M24 (which is a .30-'06)...

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
While the NULA shares some design features of the Rem 700, such as tubular receiver, separate recoil plate, it has many design differences. The NULA is much lighter and very strong--ask Nosler who used it for millions of test rounds. NULA uses a "real" extractor, not the little Rem clip, and has somewhat different breeching. Tolerances are so tight that every bolt of a given model (20, 24, etc.) is the same and interchangeable. NULA uses a Timney or Jewell trigger, not the Rem which has been subject to unintended discharges, according to many critics. Once you try a NULA, which is a custom made piece from Melvin, not a production piece, you will come back--71% buy another within a year (watch the youtube videos).

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The Sako is the Model 85 Arctos/Grizzy, a sort of a CRF, I believe that it does control the firing pin with a bolt release to unload with safety on. The Sako is a bit porky, weighs more than the others. NULA is a 700 action I believe, not a fan of those in general but a NULA should be sorted. The Mauser appears to be the same as the Sauer 101 except for the safety. The Steyr is also a bit on the heavy side, will have to decide just how important the extra 3/4# is..

NULA makes their own action based on a Mo.700.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
smithrjd,

I thought about buying a walnut-stocked Mauser 12 in 7x64, but eventually decided against it. They're certain very good rifles.

If I were you, I'd certainly consider a NULA as well. People often compare the action to the Remington 700, and in fact one gun writer who was sent a NULA to test sent it right back, with a note saying, "This 700 action has been turned down too much to be safe." Melvin somewhat firmly explained how mistaken he was, and after the gun writer tested the rifle, he bought one, a .284 if I recall correctly. In reality NULA actions are a unique push-feed, with several mechanical features very different from a 700. And the stock is just as unique, and finely made.

The truth is there are a BUNCH of very accurate rifles available today, in any price-range. Selection of one would depend on what other features you want.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Is the Sako CRF?

You'll have to excuse me as I'm quite obtuse (if you don't believe me just ask Big Stick); but, why is this necessary for a long range hunting rig?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Because Savage_99 has been charged by numerous whitetails, and almost died several times because push-feed rifles jammed.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Come now John. Maybe he was just holding the rifle upside down. I can, however, see how such occurrences would shake one up a bit.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 02/08/16.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Because Savage_99 has been charged by numerous whitetails, and almost died several times because push-feed rifles jammed.

Because Savage_99 had his hand slip off the end of his dick resulting in a terrible bruise on his forehead.

Jeez, do I have to fix everything!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (280shooter, 257robertsimp, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 21 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.