Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am VERY new to reloading and have a small delima on my hands. I am trying to develop a load for a new Kimber Pro-varmint in 22-250. I started with Lapua brass and sierra game king 55 grainers. I am planning on running Varget powder and CCI bench rest primers.
The question is....... according to my reloading manual, 2.350 is the COAL. However even loaded out to my MAX magazine length of 2.400, I am still not touching my lands.
So do I load at the standard 2.350 and play around with loads and check accuracy, or should I go ahead and push the loads out to 2.400?
Being new to reloading, I am a little nervous to push forward without some advice..........Thanks

GB1

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Also, I just finished load envelopment on my new Kimber Montana 25-06, and I hit the lands way before I reached COAL or MAX magazine length with sierra game kings. So what gives? Are Kimbers all over the place on this or what? I was actually happy with the way my 25-06 worked out as I was able to kiss the lands before I ran out of usable magazine length. Thats why I was a little shocked to see the direct opposite on my 22-250....lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shoot the load at 2.350 and see how it shoots. You do not necessarily have to be at the lands to have an accurate load. Sometimes even further away works also. When loaded to 2.400 how much bullet is still in the case neck? This may also be a limiting factor (don't forget to allow for the boattail.)

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Try making up a dummy round, and single load it direct until you see exactly where the lands are. That might give you a better idea. But, some bullets like a good jump actually better than being close, so only a paper target will tell the truth.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Billiam280AI: C.O.A.L. is NOT the be all or end all to making accurate ammunition.
Your carefully made 22-250 handloads with LaPua brass in that quality arm "SHOULD" produce accuracy at the 2.350" measurement.
Try the 2.400" cartridges on a calm day and see how they group.
If there isn't much bullet body touching the neck of the case at 2,400" then that will show up.
I have PLENTY of target, Varmint and Big game Rifles where I seat my most accurate loadings and the bullet is no where near touching the leades of the rifling.
Having said that often it is EASIER to find accuracy with a particular bullet when it has little jump to the rifling.
In the last 20 years or so the "factory" Rifle makers have been VERY hesitant (it seems to me!) to chamber their Rifles with "short throats".
I have dealt with the "short magazine box" and "long throat" issues for some time now and its NOT a terminal, condition!
Best of luck and be sure to let us know how that Pro-Varmint shoots.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Start at magazine length, with the listed minimum load.

Only change one variable at at time. First, work up with the powder charge, and if necessary, work in with your OAL.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The loading manuals typically list a round at SAAMI max OAL. Typically that has nothing to do with what will shoot best in any particular rifle. I generally start .010" off the lands OR at the max magazine length and work from there. You've already determined that you can't touch the lands at your magazine length of 2.400", that's where I would start. Since you're at max magazine length you've only got one way to adjust when you start fine tuning seating depth.

While it's not always true that a bullet will shoot better with less jump, I've found that most often they do. That 2.350" basically means nothing.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Only change one variable at at time. First, work up with the powder charge, and if necessary, work in with your OAL.

This is the way I do it when I can't reach the lands at max magazine length.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
sounds great guys....thanks

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

This is the way I do it when I can't reach the lands at max magazine length.

Me too. Straight seems to be more important.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just remember the closer to the Lands you are the more pressure you will see, thats why I like to start touching and work shorter. But in your case you may not be ble to touch.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,306
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.