Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BC30cal Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fellow Campfire folks;
This is a bit of a double post, as I've put it up on BC site I frequent as well, but for those interested in such matters, here it is.

The project began to gel in my mind as early as last summer when our eldest daughter Amy-Liz moved to the Island and began to carry on the time honored family tradition of tenting in bear infested areas.

Initially I encouraged her to pick up some bear spray and a holster, but as we all know, spray is less than useless when one is INSIDE one's tent.

Thus it struck me that the simple solution was to build her something similar to what she's seen resting beside my sleeping bag most times when we tented in spots where it was legal to do so.

The foundation for the project was a screaming Boxing Day sale item I found while perusing the Prophet River site. I've dealt with Clayton a few times and find both him and his website super easy to deal with. In short order this arrived via the good folks at Canada Post.
[Linked Image]

The sharp eyed among us will appreciate the vintage duck loads I've found for the photo.

It's a base model Lakefield Mossberg 500AB with a 3" chamber. The actions, parts and stocks were made in Canada, but as far as I'm aware the barrels all came from the US.

This is a partial pile of parts and pieces assembled for the project - more on that as we trundle on.
[Linked Image]

The TruGlo bead and Decelerator come from the good folks at Western Gun Parts in Edmonton, who while not the cheapest always, invariably have good stock and better yet know what they've got.

The Hi-Viz, machined Delrin magazine follower comes from a Canadian outfit - S&J Hardware. I ordered a Day Glo Green and Blaze Orange one to see what they looked like. Amy[-Liz chose the Blaze Orange so mine now has the green - again more on that later.

link to S&J: http://sjhardware.com/store/modules....cPath=107_1235

It's a bit of a trick to take the magazine tube off of a Lakefield Mossberg - not the same as a Mossberg apparently as I found out..... Anyway if anyone is interested sometime I can outline the process which I first performed on mine and then after figuring it out did the project's in less time. Here's the Blaze Orange one installed.
[Linked Image]

To say they work slick is an understatement and my only regret with them is not ordering the kit which included a new stronger spring. So of course my OCD kicked in and there's now two new springs coming from Ontario as I type - oh and a kit too which I'm going to install into a co-worker's Lakefield Mossberg sometime too.

Next the barrel gets shortened to a tad below 19" - I do that so it's not ambiguous or anywhere close to 18.5" and even the most enthusiastic LEO will be okay with it...... long story there, not all of it good.

Then once we've arrived at dead center, a new hole is drilled, then tapped for the TruGlo bead.
[Linked Image]

These beads really show up in low light conditions and I'm a big fan. I should also note that they're epoxied in place - just because.
[Linked Image]

Now we tear the moving parts out and give them all a thorough scrubbing - first with something like Butch's and/or Brake Clean and then a good coating of something like Break Free CLP or G96 CLP. This one hadn't been given a good cleaning since the '80's I'd say.
[Linked Image]

The butt stock got a coating of G2 epoxy, then some sanding and finally a few coats of Tru-Oil for looks. It's been shortened to 13" pull, including the Decelerator. An Allen butt cuff is a little old school, but they work fine and are easy to replace, so on one went.

Lastly I installed a sling mount stud, but fairly far forward so if one wants to carry it either muzzle up or muzzle down it rides high.

Here's what the bear repellent rig looks like once all the parts are assembled.
[img:center]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x83/BC30cal/DSCN5279_zpsdb86ylox.jpg[/img]

Here's the last shot of Amy-Liz's along with mine - I'm fairly confident her's will give her at least as many years of good service as mine has - and I've had mine 42 years now.
[img:center]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x83/BC30cal/DSCN5281_zpsgun3oty8.jpg[/img]
Anyway that's the build for the most part.

If anyone has any questions as to how or why I went a certain way I'd be more than happy to try to answer.

Thanks for looking and all the best to you all this BC Family Day weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ah, I've exceeded the photos.

Last one of the new project solo.
[Linked Image]

New project beside time proven tool.
[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking and all the best to you folks.

Dwayne

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
That looks like a fair amount of work Dwayne.

One thing for sure, I'd druther be behind that weapon than, in the front of it!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looking good! That should keep your daughter safe around those pumpkin-headed island bears.

Those old Imperial shells had a very unique and pleasant aroma once fired. I react to the smell the same way the dogs love the smell of grouse. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks nice, I have one kinda like that myself. It's always at the ready.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have an old Winchester model 97 made in 1931. The barrel is 19.25" long, the but stock has been shortened, a bead added to the barrel. It has the short chamber, but it feeds and shoots slugs just fine, and this one is such if you hold the trigger too the rear and cycle the action, it shoots like a terror.

Cost me a hundred bucks, but it needs the pin for the front end of the mag. It's the take down model.

Anyone know where I can get that pin in Canada? Actually only need the retaining spring, but would spring (sorry for the pun) for the whole unit.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Brother Keith;
Good evening to you sir, hopefully this finds you folks well other than your 97 needing a part or three.

Have you tried Western Gun Parts in Edmonton?

If anyone can find it, I'd put my money on them first. As stated they aren't the least expensive, but the folks there know firearms, know what they've got in stock and have great shipping times in my experience.

Hopefully that helped sir, good luck with the project for sure as it's a good one in my view.

Dwayne

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Thanks, Dwayne. I'll give them a call when the CPP cheque shows up at the end of the month. Three pensions now. smile

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Dwayne,

That will certainly provide protection if needed as well as the mental comfort that she is not defenseless.

Years ago my in the tent gun was one of the original Ruger 44 mag carbine with 4 hard cast loads in the tube mag.

Thankfully never had the excitement of having to use it.

All the best
Tim,

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Thanks, Dwayne. I'll give them a call when the CPP cheque shows up at the end of the month. Three pensions now. smile

Congratulations on being able to collect your CPP. hope your able to collect it for as long as you paid in.

Tim,

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,503
Posts18,452,541
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.