Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Foss
Thanks for all the responses guys. About what I thought I'd hear, but I'm glad to hear everyone's experience.

I bought my F-150 right after the auto industry bailouts, and only considered Ford just due to their turning down the gov't money. I've had really good luck with my F-150 all things considered. But I have never heard anyone who owns a Tundra say a bad thing about them.

As for the Tundras, is the TRD package worth it for extra protection and ability off the pavement? Most concerned about the skidplates (or lack of), but aftermarket are always options too.

They did so only to protect those executive golden parachutes and for no other reason. Patriotic intententions had jackscitt to do with it though many in the masses bought it hook, line and sinker.

But they do build a good truck.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was in a very similar situation whereby I was choosing between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 like you. The only reason why I considered the 3/4 was for occasionally towing a lightweight trailer like you do. I opted for the 3/4 ton diesel as I had never owned one. For me, while I LOVED towing with the 3/4, having it as my daily driver kinda sucked. The ride quality difference between the two when commuting on solid ground and not towing is HUGE and heavily favors the 1/2 ton.

I have since sold the 3/4 and will stick to the 1/2, regardless of the make.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bud Built for skid plates.

the Tundra only has a splash plate which sucks, it takes 15 extra minutes to change oil which is one of the things I dislike about the Toyota's.

for off road the diesel trucks really suck due to the rough ride and very heavy front end; I have one so I know what I'm talking about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

They did so only to protect those executive golden parachutes and for no other reason. Patriotic intententions had jackscitt to do with it though many in the masses bought it hook, line and sinker.

You would be wise to read this. While it had nothing to do with patriotism it had nothing to do with executive benefits either. It was about saving Ford. It's a great read and certainly opened my eyes about the auto industry. I'll certainly never touch a GM or Chrysler product again.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Icon-Mulally-Fight-Company/dp/030788606

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all the responses guys. About what I thought I'd hear, but I'm glad to hear everyone's experience.

I bought my F-150 right after the auto industry bailouts, and only considered Ford just due to their turning down the gov't money. I've had really good luck with my F-150 all things considered. But I have never heard anyone who owns a Tundra say a bad thing about them.

As for the Tundras, is the TRD package worth it for extra protection and ability off the pavement? Most concerned about the skidplates (or lack of), but aftermarket are always options too.

My TRD skid plates suck. Big Toyota fan, but won't get the TRD package next time. Would buy standard SR5 and get an Old Man Emu suspension immediately. Then buy a Tundra Pro skidplate for $450. Love the two Tundras I have owned and love that they are made in Texas vs Mexico.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't get on here to often, but will give my 2 cents worth being I've owned 4 Tundras and a T100. Had a 1997 T100, 2001 Tundra, 2007 Tundra, 2010 Tundra, and now a 2015 Tundra. I've owned and driven all the others, and I've just had great luck with my American made, Texas, Tundras. They've all been bullet proof. Solid, smooth, quiet, powerful, and trouble free. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I say. Choosen the most reliable full sized pickup in America for the last 11 years. I can agree with that as I've had ZERO problems with all of them. I see MIVHNTR is still as negative of a person as always. Some things never change. And some talk about the 'jap' truck. Well, again, Made in America. Those folks fail to mentions the tens of thousands of Toyota workers that make a living, in the U.S., working for Toyota U.S.A. Feed their family, put clothes on them and a roof over their heads. To each their own, but I'm speaking from my experience from the trucks I've owned and driven in my life time. Everyone can like their own brand of vehicles, and I hope they all serve them well. I'm am just sharing my positive experiences with Toyota. BTW: My wife is on her 5th Camry with Zero problems with them too. FYI: The Camry just became the BEST selling car in America, AGAIN, for the 13th year in a row. Speaks for itself. Buy what you like, and like what you buy. Good luck to all.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't forget that Toyota is non-union.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
RC, the non union thing may be the real problem for some

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
So what is an American made pickup?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Unions=democrats=communists.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

But they do build a good truck.

Here's the latest article about Ford, the great patriotic company:

Ford more than doubles production in Mexico

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glad to see them build in Mexico. That might keep the unions out.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's only half the picture. Yes, Ford moved several small car lines to Mexico, but they moved heavy duty F series trucks from Mexico to Ohio.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Glad to see them build in Mexico. That might keep the unions out.

I'm in Mississippi and we've got Nissan and Toyota plants here, both non-union so that's proof that you don't have to go to Mexico to keep the unions out. Nissan and Toyota are providing jobs to Americans in my state while Ford is busy shipping jobs to Mexico. My neighbors are feeding their families and sending their kids to college because they have jobs in these plants while at the same time people like Walt are driving around in their mexican built Fords.

Next door in Alabama they're building Mercedes, Hyundai's and Hondas. Did Ford choose to open a plant there? Nope, they picked Mexico.

At least Ford shipping all the jobs to Mexico might keep some of the mexicans from coming here.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Pugs

You would be wise to read this. While it had nothing to do with patriotism it had nothing to do with executive benefits either. It was about saving Ford. It's a great read and certainly opened my eyes about the auto industry. I'll certainly never touch a GM or Chrysler product again.

Couldn't disagree more, Pugs. PR is a wonderful thing. For some.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It was meant for the rabid union hating zealots. Sarcasm. They are as annoying as their counterparts I used to have to spend time with.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, did what I could to give you a place for more info than a sound bite.

When I buy another truck it will be an F-150.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Savage_99
If someone pulls into my place up North driving a jap made vehicle asking to hunt there I will say no.

If they drive up in a USA made vehicle I will like that.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-10-most-american-trucks-for-2015.html
Just an FYI

W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

Well, did what I could to give you a place for more info than a sound bite.

When I buy another truck it will be an F-150.

If you like buying a new truck every 100k, by all means ford is your truck.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a 2014 Tundra and a 2015 F-250.

I prefer the F-250 diesel over the Tundra gas.

F-250 : prefer diesel engine, short bed is 6 foot for tax write-off.

Tundra: better built, better looking, gas mileage sucks, towing sucks, long bed(over 6 foot) looks awful.

If Tundra would make a diesel with a 6 foot bed, I would be at the dealership.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

450 members (222ND, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 38 invisible), 1,966 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,401
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.