Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yes.

Contact the Leupold Custom shop.

they just raised the fee, so I don't know the current rate.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Sweet, thanks. Any idea if the zero stop still works?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it was years ago the last time I had an M1 put on one of my VX-3 scopes, but at that time there was no zero-stop for them. I don't know if there's a zero-stop now for M1's.

Best I can recall, there's just a graduated meter on the knob that shows you what "level" you're on ... see pic:

[Linked Image]

-WGM-
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Zero stop is usually with a one turn turret. I'd be surprised if the multiturn M1 can be zero stop equipped.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know why you would want to change it out. you will lose the zero stop. I know this will be controversial if you need more elevation to shoot further than what the CDS zero stop will provide. you need to upgrade to a nightforce.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The CDS basically offers 15 MOA of adjustment up. At 600 yards, that's 90" of drop you can account for.

Just using generics here, but a .35 BC 80g bullet from a .243 with a MV of 3250FPS, 100yd zero ... will only drop 72" at 600 yards. That's 11.5 MOA ... or 3.3 mils if you're a mil kinda guy.

If you need more than a 5-600 yard gun, then the CDS probably is NOT for you. If you're taking game inside that range, then the CDS should be great for you.

Zero at 200 or 250 and you extend that range even further, if you really want the CDS and the ability to eek out a little more wiggle room with your elevation adjustments.

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Guess I want to have cake and to eat it too.

Just thinking it may be easier to run am M1 with different loads rather than have a bunch invested in dials.

Im good with 1 turn of the dial too. Finding a place to shoot past 350 around here is tough, Im not gonna be blasting at game at 5-600 yards w/o shooting it a bunch on paper first.

Maybe I am best served with CDS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a Link For A Zero Stop For a M1 Or call Shawn Peters 907 440 5051 Not sure if this # is still good or not.
I have one of these zero stops. It works great. Shawn was a nice and easy to work with.

Wish you well.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by passport

Just thinking it may be easier to run am M1 with different loads rather than have a bunch invested in dials.

Im good with 1 turn of the dial too. Finding a place to shoot past 350 around here is tough, Im not gonna be blasting at game at 5-600 yards w/o shooting it a bunch on paper first.

IIRC they will sell you a moa marked CDS dial with a zero stop.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Probably unless you're shooting very LR, like a thousand yards, etc.

And, you can get CDS in MOA's, yardage, etc.

I think one could get a positive MOA scope base to extend the CDS beyond the usual. Not sure about that, as I've not had a reason to check it out.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer

Now were talkin

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I think one could get a positive MOA scope base to extend the CDS beyond the usual. Not sure about that, as I've not had a reason to check it out.

DF

a sloped base only helps the scope itself with the amount of travel you can get, because you start by moving the erector "up" inside the scope to compensate for the sloped base ... then that leaves you more "down" movement (or elevation adjustment up for a shot) since you're starting at one end of the erector's travel range instead of in the middle.

the CDS will only spin ONE time regardless of where it starts ... it's not a zero stop at the bottom/zero point only. Thus, the sloped base has no practical affect on the CDS dial itself.

-WGM-
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Now were talkin

I don't have any "load specific" CDS dials. All of mine are marked in 1/4" MOA adjustments, and that's how I want them. I just taped a little laminated adjustment chart to my butt stock ... range, look at chart, spin turret, put crosshairs where I want bullet impact, and pull the trigger. Easy as pie.

This pic is my 7-08AI w/ M1 turret, but same/same for the adjustment chart on the butt stock.

[Linked Image]

-WGM-
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WGM
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

a sloped base only helps the scope itself with the amount of travel you can get, because you start by moving the erector "up" inside the scope to compensate for the sloped base ... then that leaves you more "down" movement (or elevation adjustment up for a shot) since you're starting at one end of the erector's travel range instead of in the middle.

the CDS will only spin ONE time regardless of where it starts ... it's not a zero stop at the bottom/zero point only. Thus, the sloped base has no practical affect on the CDS dial itself.

Thanks for that explanation.

A sloped base is therefore good for very LR; one turn won't utilize its advantage, because the limiting factor (one turn) isn't enough to utilize the extra MOA's.

If I understood that correctly...

DF

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dirtfarmer:

You seem to understand what I said correctly.

Long story short, the CDS dial is GREAT for those who only need to get out to about 600yds, maybe 700 if you REALLY wanna push it. And honestly, for MOST hunting situations, that's more than enough. It's a nice low profile knob, easy enough to read, and has a zero-stop. All good things for hunting situations.

For someone who hunts/shoots at ranges past that, the CDS is not your best option, and was not really designed for applications like that.

Everything is a trade-off, to some degree. If you feel you'll want/need more travel than 15 MOA, and don't mind the bigger turret ... then get an M1 and deal with the added height.

-WGM-
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good summary.

I'm a hunter and 500 yds. is a long shot. I like the yardage CDS, as I don't want to figure drop or keep up with a drop chart. I just want to range, twist and shoot. I have range finder in my binocs to save time with the process. Zeiss Victory 8x45 T* RF is a great glass, super range finder.

So, for me and a whole bunch like me, the CDS is perfect for what we do.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Now were talkin

I ran the CDS with a MOA dial for a couple years before settling on a load I was going to stick with. I still may go back to the MOA, if I ever want to change loads, but also like the speed and simplicity of the a load specific turret.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 39 invisible), 2,664 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,287
Posts18,467,895
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.