Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Also drink more water. A lot of the skin cracking problem is from dehyration. I have the problem with my fingers, usually from drinking more coffee than water in cold weather.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I really like my Lowa Tibet uninsulated. They provide lots of support in the steep stuff with a pack and are still good to go for short day hikes.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hanwag Alaska

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Salomon 4D's for backpacking and warm weather hunting.

Went with a Meindl "Perfekt" Extreme for this coming year. So far, so good. I've found 400 gram's Thinsulate about perfect for my feet for cold weather, on-the-move hunting.

My similar Italian Crispi's are just a bit large on my soft feet and give me blisters, despite having several hundred miles on them. They're now work boots.

The older model Meindl Perfekt (without the rubber rand) was wonderful on my feet. Ditto Cabela's older, discontinued "Mountain Hunter" Italian/Romanian made boots.

Kenetrek's, Hanwag's, Lowas, they're all too stiff for my feet.

For super-cold, more sedentary hunting, a good pac with thinsulate liner, and insulated lower like the Schnees Extreme (is everything "extreme" these days?) is the ticket.

If limited to one, a 400 gram "mountain hunter" with rubber rand would be my go-to.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kennetreks...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by cwh2

I'm running Denali's now, and they are stiffer and not insulated. I can still cover ground in them, but it helps a lot to adjust lacing.

That's what I have been using. Great boots.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Brad, please keep us up to date on the "extreme" Perfekt. Its an interesting boot.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I use a pair of light weight Asolo's for warm weather and while antelope hunting, and Kenetrek Hardscrabbles for Mountain hunting.... Non insulated and adjust my socks for weather. Even a light pair of wool hiking socks keep my feet warm enough with the Kenetreks.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've been trying some of the various mostly-fabric options with stiff sole and rand: Scarpa charmoz and la sportiva evo with the leather panels. They are certainly light, but a bit cold, confining, and not as good on the ankles as full grain leather. They are fine empty, but a bit soft when loaded off-trail.

The rands on these light boots take a beating in rock, and they have a tough time staying glued on where your foot flexes. I wore a heavily beeswaxed pair of Alico Guides (roughout 3mm leather Norwegian welt waffle stompers, bought for $179 from STP back in '04) on four AK sheep hunts; they needed a midsole rebuild with resole once in that time, but never a mark or cut on the leather, and the hunts were almost exclusively on glacier rock and shale (that's what ate through the vibram into the midsole at the arch). Made me a believer in waxed leather, and a skeptic of rands.

I'm not inclined to heavily wax a leather boot with a molded sole or a rand - I'm leery of delamination, whether by solvent or oil from the commercial waxes (obenhaufs or pitch blend or whatever), or by heat when applying straight beeswax. I'm pretty convinced that my Alicos lasted as long as they did due to the heavy pure beeswax coating. Any rock contact slipped right off and left a superficial mark that went away with more wax applied, no leather damage. They are stiff, and the resole shrunk them a bit so I no longer use them. They never were all that comfortable with the folded bellows tongue, so I'll avoid that in the future. Sure protected the feet though, and you could step wherever you want, on whatever you want, wearing whatever load you want, and you'd stick.

Going to try a couple of as-new ebay boots that might be older than me - pivetta eiger and another similar older European Littleway-welted roughout FGL boot by ML, whoever they were/are. Stitched construction so I can beeswax them with heat and they'll resole without destruction, narrower sole than the Norwegian welt so a bit lighter, and a sewn bellows on the tongue instead of a fold, so they should mold more easily to my foot tops, one of which is a bit tender with a bony spur. We'll see how they work.

Otherwise, I'm attracted to the La Sportiva Pamir, but there's that rand again, and I hear it's a bit soft.

Last edited by Vek; 02/08/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Vek- Have you tried beeswaxing any non-rough out boots? I've waxed a few pairs of gloves and can attest to how tough it makes them, but haven't tried it on any boots...yet.

IC B3

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Nope, but I'll have the Pivetta in hand shortly and it's smooth out. We'll see what happens. I've read it's a pretty stiff boot to start with.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vek
Nope, but I'll have the Pivetta in hand shortly and it's smooth out. We'll see what happens. I've read it's a pretty stiff boot to start with.
Gotcha. Looking forward to hearing how it works.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Salomon Quest 4D GTX. Archery through 1st rifle. 4 or 5 seasons on them, very happy. They are uninsulated and a bit more warmth would have been better for the season where it snowed ~9" and temps were in the teens.

Last edited by prm; 02/09/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Schnees Beartooth uninsulated for me. 3 full seasons of upland bird and elk hunting on them so far and they are still waterproof and breathable.
They look a bit haggard, but I bet I will get another bird season out of them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Need two pairs IMO.

Schnees Pac Boots for late season hunts.

Scarpa/Meindl for warmer stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by starsky
Need two pairs IMO.

Schnees Pac Boots for late season hunts.

Scarpa/Meindl for warmer stuff.

And one pair of moccasins for the couch.

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lots of good boot choices but IMHO, once you're in the realm of "good boots" it all depends on your feet and how the boots work with your feet. Asking someone else to recommend a boot is kind of like asking what you should look for in a woman.

I end up using Hanwags and Vasque GTXs.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dunno' smoke, I feel like I could give a pretty succinct list of what a guy should look for in a woman and have most dudes agree with me....grin

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, when I was your age I thought the same way. Of course, that was back when I knew everything grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the Asolo. Fits my foot well. It is a fairly stiff boot but that's what I was looking for.
http://www.amazon.com/0M2066_635-Asolo-Mens-Hiking-Boots/dp/B000AOP2OU

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.