Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#10928639 02/03/16
J
jwf Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello all,

I'm new here and hope some of you can give some insight. I've made up my mind (over the past 6 months) that I want a combo gun. Will be used for predator hunting mostly, so it wouldn't be shot a whole lot. Looking at the Ithaca/Tikka LSA-55 as one choice, Savage/Valmet 2400, and the Angelo Zoli (this is the cheaper Zoli from what I can find). Trying to stay around $1k, this is why the short list doesn't include the Valmet 412 right now. Hopefully a drilling is down the road, but that will have to wait. Can anyone give a comparison of these 3, pros and cons, or suggest something else in this price range? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think you mean the Tikka M07, not LSA55 (which is a bolt-action repeater).

I've used one of these, and it was well made, and the rifle barrel very accurate. However it has a single trigger, exposed hammer and a separate selector. This is very unhandy, and compromises the versatility greatly IMHO. You don't have the instant ability to select barrels of a dual-trigger setup, and it is very slow to get a second shot away.

I haven't used the other two, so can't comment on them. There are two others I'd suggest you consider too though. First are Brnos, both 300 series and 500 series. I have had a good deal of experience with the 300 series and I think they're a good bit of gear. They generally perform well, and have the advantage of being available with a range of interchangeable barrel sets. They're out of production now, but there are plenty around. The main downside is that thy're a bit hefty.

I'd also consider a Baikal. These are a bit utilitarian in finish, but solid. They perform better than some will give credit for, and have chromed bores for long life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan_oz is spot on about getting a combo gun with dual triggers and a safety. A single trigger, selector and hammer are a pain in the butt. I have a Bernardelli 12ga/5.6x50R Mag. it is a nice gun with a set trigger for the rifle. I just sold a Marrochi/American Arms 222 Rem/12ga that was superbly accurate. I'm hunting now with a BRNO 305 in 12ga/22 Highpower that is shooting sub MOA groups at 200 yards.

One thing to watch for is scope mounts, be sure that you find one with the scope Mount if it is a dedicate Mount, they can be hard to find ànd some very expensive, having a set of claw Mount rings made can cost a thousand dollàrs.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dan...

The Tikka LSA-55 is a combo gun with an external hammer, commonly called the "Turkey Gun". It had a barrel selector on the left side of the receiver and commonly came in 222 Rem under 12 gauge.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This would be a good choice if Simpson would get realistic on the price.

They are pretty ignorant regarding combo guns at Simpson and call this lion design a 412, which it is NOT! This gun should sell for about $500.00 to $550.00. These take the traditional SAKO dovetail mounts.

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=30079

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by luv2safari
dan...

The Tikka LSA-55 is a combo gun with an external hammer, commonly called the "Turkey Gun". It had a barrel selector on the left side of the receiver and commonly came in 222 Rem under 12 gauge.

No, actually, it isn't. The LSA 55 was a bolt action repeater, introduced in about 1967 and quite popular here through the 70s and 80s. The one you're thinking of is, as I said, the M07, aka "Turkey Gun".

FWIW I've used both, and I'm quite familiar with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are the LSA-55 here...the "turkey Gun". I've owned three of them. wink

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=540097501

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=539951014

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Itha...uge-Over-Rem-Left-Hand-Stock/1954622.uts

They also made a 22-250 bolt gun they called the LSA-55; go figure. crazy

grin

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Well, that is what you'll sometimes get on those sites. They aren't reliable sources of information.

Here, from the Tikka catalogue of the time:

[Linked Image]

And from Tikka's web site, the drawing and parts list: http://www.tikka.fi/sites/default/files/TikkaM07.pdf

That's the one we're talking about, isn't it?

This is an LSA 55:
[Linked Image]

So's this:

[Linked Image]

wink

J
jwf Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Yes, I have found on several sites these two guns with the same model number--quite confusing...luv2safari, that gun at Simpson is one (of many) that I have looked at online; the "slight amount of play" mentioned is what has me worried. I bought a rifle from Simpson's years ago with what was described as "a few pinprick pits" on the barrel--this turned out to be pretty good coverage of one side of the barrel with pitting for over 20" of a 24" barrel, so I am a bit leery of this one. A nice looking rifle to my eyes is the Angelo Zoli, have found several online--anyone have experience with these? I have read that they are the cheaper Zoli, but they do look nice. I really appreciate ALL replies, please keep them coming. Have gotten to the point now that I know a combo will be coming here to live soon, want to be sure I pick a good one. I think its still down to three--A. Zoli, the Ithaca/Tikka hammer gun, Savage 2400, just trying to decide which to pursue.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
3 years ago I decided to venture into the combination gun world. After looking at many models and makes and comparing features and price I decided to try a Baikal IZH-94 in 12 Ga. over .308 Winchester.
After three seasons of use in deer ,pig and coyote hunting I have found this to be a very good gun.
I do not see Baikal mentioned much here on this forum.From my experience I really like it.
The .308 barrel is extremely accurate and the 12 Gauge ,which has four supplied choke tubes,is quite satisfactory.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Consider a gun for birds, small game and even bigger game like the Ithaca Deer Slayers!

I got the first one with the 20" smoothbore barrel and a scope mount base along with irons.

It's handy and has taken small game and deer along with being a 'take-down-gun'.

It's also legal as a shotgun in places like Ct where a rifle is not.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
3 years ago I decided to venture into the combination gun world. After looking at many models and makes and comparing features and price I decided to try a Baikal IZH-94 in 12 Ga. over .308 Winchester.
After three seasons of use in deer ,pig and coyote hunting I have found this to be a very good gun.
I do not see Baikal mentioned much here on this forum.From my experience I really like it.
The .308 barrel is extremely accurate and the 12 Gauge ,which has four supplied choke tubes,is quite satisfactory.

Stan in SC

Yes, they are very good value for money. Nothing fancy of course, but solidly made, and the chromed bores are a big plus. I have a double rifle version of the IZH-94 myself, and have been very happy with its performance. I had the triggers fettled after I bought it, which was not difficult nor expensive, and worked very well, and it shoots far better than it has any right to do.

I'd certainly choose an IZH-94 combination, on practical grounds, over any single-trigger combination gun, especially one which required operation of both hammer and selector to get a second shot away.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dan_oz

Stan in SC

Yes, they are very good value for money. Nothing fancy of course, but solidly made, and the chromed bores are a big plus. I have a double rifle version of the IZH-94 myself, and have been very happy with its performance. I had the triggers fettled after I bought it, which was not difficult nor expensive, and worked very well, and it shoots far better than it has any right to do.

I'd certainly choose an IZH-94 combination, on practical grounds, over any single-trigger combination gun, especially one which required operation of both hammer and selector to get a second shot away.

I had an IZH-94 in 12 over 6.5x55 and never could get the rifle barrel to group. Sold it to a guy who knew that he could do better, but he wasn't able to get the rifle to shoot consistent groups either. I think that he put a little $$ into it, trying to get it to shoot, before he quit and put in away. This was an older EAA version, no choke tubes, that I bought from CDNN back in 2000 for $350.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Consider a gun for birds, small game and even bigger game like the Ithaca Deer Slayers!

I got the first one with the 20" smoothbore barrel and a scope mount base along with irons.

It's handy and has taken small game and deer along with being a 'take-down-gun'.

It's also legal as a shotgun in places like Ct where a rifle is not.

[Linked Image]

Not many people are faced with the sort of limits on firearms that you are in Connecticut. Does anyone travel to Connecticut to hunt game that they could hunt with a rifle elsewhere?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While my primary residence is in CT we travel as this state is small yet has some good places to shoot and hunt.

I shot my first deer in VT in 1953 and have owned my hunting 'camp' there since 1964.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My statement made above should be clarified:

"It's also legal as a shotgun in places like Ct where a rifle is not."

Means that it's similar to a rifle when it shoots slugs.

However there are other places in CT like some private land where hunting with rifles is legal!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by dan_oz

Stan in SC

I had an IZH-94 in 12 over 6.5x55 and never could get the rifle barrel to group. Sold it to a guy who knew that he could do better, but he wasn't able to get the rifle to shoot consistent groups either. I think that he put a little $$ into it, trying to get it to shoot, before he quit and put in away. This was an older EAA version, no choke tubes, that I bought from CDNN back in 2000 for $350.

The very basic one I had in 12ga and 7X57R shot like a decent bolt rifle, and it shot Foster slugs into a good group. The only thing I didn't like were the triggers; they were pretty awful, but I learned to count the ratchet clicks of each one. grin

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you can find one, a CZ 584 is a good choice. The rifle trigger is adjustable by means of an external screw, and the shotgun barrel has a separate trigger. They typically have decent walnut stocks, and are very accurate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Savage_99
While my primary residence is in CT we travel as this state is small yet has some good places to shoot and hunt.

I shot my first deer in VT in 1953 and have owned my hunting 'camp' there since 1964.

Having hunted in Vermont for 14 of the 22 years between 1968 and 1989, I sympathize with your situation. Like most Vermont hunters, I assume that you hunted a lot, but punched few tags. Our success in Vermont often came by way of shooting them from Monroe, NH, and killing them in Barnet, VT, just north of the junction of the Connecticut and Passumpsic Rivers.

I have never hunted in Connecticut and don't expect that I ever will.

J
jwf Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Stan_in_SC, dan_oz, Hogeye--the more I have researched combo guns, the more interested I've become in these models, but they seem to be harder to find than some of the others; however, they HAVE been added to the wish list. Deer, pigs, and coyotes are the big three that I hunt here, but am constantly having to pass on crows, squirrels, and rabbits while hunting with a rifle---not saying that I would shoot at every one that I see while on a deer stand, but it WOULD be nice to have the option. Still hoping that someone will chime in on the Angelo Zoli guns; they seem a little easier to find than some, but I have to wonder if this is because they aren't as good as the others...I sincerely appreciate all the replies, they are a BIG help! I have been bitten hard by this combo gun bug and know that I will own one soon, just want to make an informed decision/purchase.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 23 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.