Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Several schools on the KP that would have paid for decades of school busses. The state formula makes it more expensive to close a school than to keep it open. Nutso.

Lets give the legislators the PFD and income tax. How long before the PFD is pissed away and income tax rates rise? Nutso +P.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

And so we strap ourselves with stuff that we can't afford when times get tough.

Meanwhile the roads turn to sshit.

But do we put a 'hold' on the new ones we're building?

(We all know the answer to that, and the excuse is that, "Well, we have to keep funding that because we get matching fed funds. Perhaps that applies to other things too?")

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
A projection when the Barrow high school was being built said the first several decades worth of students could each be given a check for a cool million dollars instead of building it... and saved money...

I suspect if a person were to put a pencil to paper presently, and work from the outlying areas to the inlying, that one would discover that there isn't much Alaska can afford, right now especially, except, perhaps, for a few hotel housekeepers and a few cab drivers. (Have to support Ted Stevens/ AIA since that is kind of the major reason Anchorage exists; I reckon international traffic might pay for the lights for a while.)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Theres no doubt that alot of the development in the bush suffers unnecessarily from "architect's disease"...too much money, too big, too nice, too much maintenance reqd, poor site selection, etc

I just had a conversation with a contractor and project manager yesterday where rather that just install a smaller pump, they want to put in a Variable Frequency Drive to use the existing oversized pump. Well, WTF happens when the VFD goes tits up? Who can maintain or repair it in a tiny village on the NW coast?. K.I.S.S......

BTW, if they are going to take an income tax anyway, then I'm OK with leaving the PFD alone. Im just saying that it makes a ton more sense to use the interest from the PFD RATHER than have an income tax.

Eat moose, burn spruce
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Takie 1/3 of the PFD and have the reason be to fund state government. People have forgotten that state spending effects us each.

My hope would be way more citizens concerned with what is going on in Juneau or the local level. It may just be a pipe dream, but concern from a greater number of citizens could go a long way in curtailing so of the dumb stuff that happens.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An obvious point overlooked till Dan H just mentioned it is the fact the PFD is not an all or nothing largesse for the Juneau azzhats...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
We got along with out the PFD for a long time. We can get along with out it now! However, it does irk the heck outa me to know that beurocrats will just squander that money on pet projects, that only benefit a few.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Not a popular thought but if we need taxes I would rather to see a state wide sales tax on most items (excluding food) and have it seasonally adjust to benefit from our tourist crush. Tourist will not bypass AK in favor of another destination because of an additional 1% in a sales tax so don't go there.

Any consideration of any tax needs a high and low projection of expected revenue raised so we the voters can see all options side by side. No rosy projections of pie in the sky numbers either.

Sales tax
PFD reduction
Income Tax
or???

Side by side

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
Not a popular thought but if we need taxes I would rather to see a state wide sales tax on most items (excluding food) and have it seasonally adjust to benefit from our tourist crush. Tourist will not bypass AK in favor of another destination because of an additional 1% in a sales tax so don't go there.

Any consideration of any tax needs a high and low projection of expected revenue raised so we the voters can see all options side by side. No rosy projections of pie in the sky numbers either.

Sales tax
PFD reduction
Income Tax
or???

Side by side

There you go, wanting to continue screwing visitors...

If you want to screw visitors why not just raise landing fees at the airports and docks and especially the train stations?

Why have sales tax and income tax when they both have huge infrastructural requirements that do not lend themselves to being handled by the same employees?

Oh yeah, you think wealth redistribution is a good thing... and ...

Screw it, arguing with morons is just not fun...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Think the bastids will stop at a "portion"? Camel nose meet tent.

I'm sure there is plenty of slack in the budget that could go.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I realize we are screwed, but it just does not have to be so...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The morons that got us in the mess are still holding the reins, how could it turn out any different? I heard in addition to their pay for a 90 day legislative session, some legislators manage to rack up ~$100,000 a year in relocation, travel costs and per diem. You think those folks have a clue about being thoughtful with money???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Moving the capitol would be the first thing done if I were King for a day! Cloistering themselves down in Juneau makes it too difficult for people to visit them and explain how things should work...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
lol...

i remain unconvinced that there would be that many 'visits'.

Color me green...like jade(ed).

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, I guarantee there would be many more visits than there are now. I used to make the trip fairly often until I got the green, too... not having to spend hundreds to get there would make it worthwhile for me to go again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sales tax
PFD reduction
Income Tax
or???

Side by side

If you want to screw visitors why not just raise landing fees at the airports and docks and especially the train stations?

Why have sales tax and income tax when they both have huge infrastructural requirements that do not lend themselves to being handled by the same employees?

Maybe the government should stop subsiding air flights (About $20,000,00 in EAS subsidized) in AK and, I bet many in rural AK would have to leave the villages due to not be able to afford living there.

Last edited by huntersdog; 02/12/16.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Oh, I guarantee there would be many more visits than there are now. I used to make the trip fairly often until I got the green, too... not having to spend hundreds to get there would make it worthwhile for me to go again.

Ever consider that you are not 'typical'?

In a good way, of course.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

Ever consider that you are not 'typical'?

In a good way, of course.

I have no interest in being "typical" and have plenty of life experience to prove it is counter-productive.

wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntersdog

Sales tax
PFD reduction
Income Tax
or???

Side by side

Maybe the government should stop subsiding air flights (About $20,000,00 in EAS subsidized) in AK and, I bet many in rural AK would have to leave the villages due to not be able to afford living there.

$15 million in Alaska, primarily in the Aleutians, Southeast and between. Virtually all without road access to anywhere; some might access ferry transportation via smaller boats. I see none of the numerous small villages further north on the list of EAS.

$220 million in the lower 48, virtually all with road access to hub locations.

I'll bet there's an easy $200 million that could be cut though. wink

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
If people who have not a darn thing manage to migrate from South America, SE Asia, Africa, the Middle East etc, then I'm sure when the AK pastures are no longer green with PFD $'s, our near do wells will manage to find the where with all to head south.

As it is we're going to be looking at a migration of professionals that has taken since the mid 80's to build up the state should the government get stupid on taxes combined with a souring economy.

The state should be looking at doing what it can to retain the hard working people of the state and culling those that won't, but I fear they'll take the opposite tact.

I agree with you that people will immigrate to Alaska for the PDF and other benefits Alaska provides in conjunction with the Federal Government. But we must place the fault on our governments (State and Federal) for creating programs and passing laws that make all the benefits possible.

For example, we have our own "sanctuary city" in Alaska. In the past there have been arrangements to establish populations of immigrants from Russia and other places around the State. You can have a very large group of family and friends moving into any location in bush Alaska where there aren't jobs, and our State and Federal programs will take care of them. Since the cost of living is quite high in the bush, compared to Anchorage, Juneau, and Fairbanks, the benefits are also higher.

Maybe Los Anchorage is not a Sanctuary city after all?
http://sanctuarycities.info/denial_letters/anchorage_alaska.pdf

Last edited by Ray; 02/13/16.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.