Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, who would of thought about putting money away for a rainy day fund, the gravey train hit a bump in the road.
I would like to think its temporary but with Iran pumping cheap, high quality oil again who knows how long it will be.

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
All I want to know is, IF we get another long gun registry, will the 25,000 Syrian terrorists - I mean refugees -- have to register their full auto AK47's?

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Police and Forestry personnel don't register their firearms why should any immigrant?

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My service pistol serial number was on file locally, regionally, and provincially on several levels. Any time it was sent to the armorer, the numbers followed, and the replacement to me was documented on all those levels. That is for the pistol. Accountability. But this is a question about long guns, not handguns.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But not registered Federal. Like everyone else. All handguns are registered provincial where you buy it at any sport shop , nothing new there.

IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Well not to belabour the point, but the handguns aren't registered at the gunshop. They are only recorded as to their transfer. The government would have to know what gunshop to look at the records in, and for the record, I do not support long gun registry ........... Never have.

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Neither do I. I figured it may be a good way to recover stolen rifles but that isn't working either. The Police auction them off to bankroll their parties. Same with most other stolen items. Cars are returned, the only thing that can't be auctioned off legally.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Don't know where you live, but that most definitely does not happen where I have lived or policed. Makes for good banter on an internet site, though. grin

Our policy on found property was to try to investigate who the real owner was, and if we couldn't, after three months, the finder could have it. Liquor that was seized was either returned to the Liquor store, or the part bottles were dumped down the drain with witnesses. Good system that I never saw abused in thirty plus years, and we dumped literally gallons of the stuff.

But somehow stories still abound about the local police drinking the exhibits, and selling off property to fund their . . . . . (pick one) parties, vacations, brothel visits, etc ad nauseum. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz! smile

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey I have a friend who had 6 rifles taken by the police, 4 were returned, what happened to the other 2. Still looking for them after 6 years.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sounds like an RCMP thing. shocked

Were the firearms involved in a criminal investigation? Was there an order in court for disposal?

Brother Keith

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He got stopped on the way to the local firing range. Apparently his rifles had no locks on them, so they seized them all.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 378Canuck
He got stopped on the way to the local firing range. Apparently his rifles had no locks on them, so they seized them all.

378Canuck;
Good morning to you sir, hopefully the week treated you well and this last Saturday of the month finds you in fine shape.

Please note I'm not commenting whatsoever on what happened to your friend as I have no direct knowledge of the circumstance.

For clarity of anyone reading here however, when we are transporting non-restricted firearms in Canada, they absolutely do not have a requirement to be locked as long as a person with a PAL is present.

IF we leave them unattended in said vehicle then the rules change, BUT if a valid PAL holder is there, then they don't require a lock or even a case.

Speaking from many personal encounters with LEO in BC, not one has raised an eyebrow when they saw unlocked non-restricted firearms.

"Do you have any more firearms in the vehicle sir?" or "I'm going to say that's unloaded since I can see the open bolt" is about what I get from them - which of course is as it should be.

Anyway I hope your friend gets his firearms back someday sir. All the best to you this weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifles dont need trigger locks when being transported, simple.
My young friend had an RCMP officer stop him at a roadblock, jump back when he saw the rifles him and his young friend had, heaven forbid they had camo on...they were coyote hunting.

He made them lay down on the ground, cuffed them, threw the rifles on the hood of his car, scratching the brand new 500 dollar scope on one of the rifles. My young friend said hey were hunting,
the cop said no you weren't, and they were not trigger locked, young guy said they dont have to be.

The mountie called the CO and the CO confirmed that indeed the young guys were perfectly legal.

Ironicaly, my young friend is applying for the RCMP shortly as it has been his lifelong dream to be an RCMP officer.

I think many would be surprised at the lack of knowledge about what the laws are regarding firearms in Canada, many RCMP do not.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
673;
Good morning to you sir, I'm hoping that your part of BC is as sunny and still as ours is thus far.

Your story is unfortunately not that uncommon as most LEO are emphatically not gun people and some are more than a little uncomfortable around them.

A good friend of mine in Vancouver PD had to give a lecture on a topic to his fellow classmates as part of his training program.

He chose "how to handle a stop with a hunter" and said that the overwhelming response from his classmates was that they'd had no clue about such things.

As he's a Penticton boy, he told them that if they'd be calling out the ERT team every time they saw a gun in a truck at the 7-11 parking lot from September to the end of November they'd get unpopular quite quickly with their CO. laugh

When he told them that if it was a 4x4 pickup, with a quad or boat rack on the back they should ALWAYS expect a firearm out here in the fall - and the spring during bear season too.

Anyway sir, it's good that a few LEO are gun folks, but it's best for us to remember that they're the exception and not the rule and approach situations with them and long guns with that information in mind. wink

All the best to you this weekend sir, lets hope it's a bright and sunny one.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ever since that happened I use locks on all my rifles even when going 3 miles to the range. Can't take chances losing my rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
at gun shows we have to have ties or locks on guns or bolts out.
and have to check buyers pal for class of firearm being bought and expire date of said PAL ,

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The dynamics of the federal election would suggest no. The Liberals made inroads in the west, while the Conservative using the racism card retained their Quebec seats. Ergo, the Liberals need their western seats. Quebec looks on the guns differently than the west. Gun owners were a cash cow for the Conservative, that's why it took so long to remove the long gun. The Liberals would be stupid to revive that cow. And Jimmy Sinclair's grandson is not stupid.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,952
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.