-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just received a new TT Gunleather Reinforced IWB Mikes Special for a Glock 43. I would have ordered a Sparks Criterion, but it is not available for small autos due to the manner in which the reinforcement is done. (I confirmed this again with Sparks via Facebook today.) I see great things written about TT Gunleather, so I thought that I would give it a try. The Reinforced Mikes Special is supposed to ride low and has a cant approximating the Criterion, so I took a chance. In addition, the owner of TT recently lost his house and shop in a California fire, and it seemed like he probably could use some business.

I ordered in October, 3 days after he reopened his shop after the fire. The website said that the patterns had been lost in the fire, so new ones would have to be made that would delay orders. Even with that delay, I received my holster and a dual IWB mag pouch in just under 15 weeks.

The holster and magazine pouch are beautiful. I love the chocolate brown color. The gun and magazines fit perfectly. (I have Taran +1 base plates on the spare magazines and did not specify that, but the pouch appears to work fine with them.) I will address the magazine pouch in more detail in a separate thread, which can be found here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The holster is double stitched while the Criterion is single stitched. I do not know if there is any difference in function or durability. The Mikes feels every bit as sturdy and form fitting as the Criterion. I am impressed that a guy could have his shop totally burned and produce such a quality product as if the fire had never occurred.

In terms of cant, the Criterion appears to have a slight bit more. This makes no difference for such a small gun as the 43. Here it is on my belt next to a G19 in a Criterion.

[Linked Image]

I thought that the Mikes would give me more difficult clearance between the bottom of the holster and the grip, but this is not an issue at all. This may be a function of the size of the gun rather than the model of the holster.

I cannot tell at this time whether the front versus rear reinforcement of the Criterion versus Mikes makes any difference. I almost think that the front reinforcement is better, at least for the G43, because it goes around the mouth where the slide enters the holster.

One point of major divergence concerns the belt loops. The Sparks VMII and Criterion lines have the belt loops affixed in a manner that does not allow them to rotate. The Mikes’ swivel freely. (They can be tightened a bit with a screwdriver.) Sparks’ loops also appear to be a smidge longer and thicker, and the snaps appear to function slightly better. (Of course, the Criterion comes with Sparks’ proprietary magnet snaps which are tremendously more awesome than the traditional “pull the dot” snaps.)

Here is the rear of the Mikes on top of the Criterion.

[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of Sparks’ magnet snaps. If you look through it, you can see the fastener of the Mikes.

[Linked Image]

I find it much easier to put the holster on with the Sparks setup because the loops don’t move. I can open the loops and slide gun down and then the loops without much effort. The TT the loops swivel and I have to insert the holster in the pants and then track down the loops and swivel them into place. (Some people may consider this a feature depending on where the belt loops are on their pants.) I also need the TT loops to stretch some, and it is taking some time and effort to put the gun on. This could be a break-in issue. It really is not a big deal for a one time a day thing, but it could be an issue for people who put the gun on and take it off a lot. I have some Sparks traditional loops from a mag pouch, and also some spare magnet snaps that I cannibalized from a Nexus I sold, so I may move one of those onto the TT.

The Mikes is very comfortable to wear and hides the gun very well. The only reason I bought a belt holster for a pocket gun in the first place was because I sometimes have to go places where I simply cannot take a bigger gun. This holster definitely meets my needs in the discrete carry department.

A Criterion costs $130 and a TT Mikes Reinforced costs $120. I am plenty happy with the Mikes, and will update if any new issues or benefits arise. All things being equal, I would rather pay the extra $10 for the Criterion for the benefit of the magnet snaps and non-swiveling loops. That is a matter of personal preference and not functionality. But, for somebody with a gun for which Sparks does not make the Criterion, or who doesn't mind swivel loops, you may want to give serious consideration to the Reinforced Mikes Special.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 02/09/16.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice write up. I just got my (wife's)43 and haven't shot it yet. I am betting it will end up being your go to carry gun in that rig! cool

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It is not likely to become a go-to carry gun. When I do carry it primary, the gun is usually in a pocket with the spares carried IWB. I got the holster mostly for IDPA BUG Division.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Excellent read & pix.. Thank you..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Redneck. Holsters cost so much and have so much wait time involved that I try to pass along info when I can.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Is ISB comfortable for you? I have a similar design from Sparks but it's OTB. For some reason the IWB or ISB are just really uncomfortable..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I managed to lay hands on a TT knock off of a VM II about 2 months ago and it was EXCELLENT quality; pretty much the equal of the Sparks holster I was wearing (differences are very minor and subtle). I find the Sparks VM II's leather to be too thick for my tastes, and it seems that TT Gunleather makes them just as thick. I really like the Sparks Criterion as it's pretty close to my HBE Specialty Leatherworks Com 3. Looks like the TT Gunleather's Slim IWB is pretty close to the Sparks Criterion. I tend to wear my HBE more than any other holster because the leather is very thin, and the holster is very high quality.

TT's holsters look to be fist rate, right up their with Sparks, Rosen, and HBE IMO. I may just have to have one.

My HBE Com III with Shark trim (sorry, washed out crappy cell phone pic).

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Is ISB comfortable for you? I have a similar design from Sparks but it's OTB. For some reason the IWB or ISB are just really uncomfortable..

It is comfortable to me with proper positioning, but maybe I just got used to doing it for a long time. I generally have settled on guns with a barrel length of 4 inches or less and a total weight of no more than 34 ounces fully loaded and, preferably,30 ounces. I prefer smooth leather on the outside rather than the rough outside finish.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep - 4" or less for me also.. Have a Kimber Tactical Ultra II, the Kahr P-3 and P-45 - all with barrels less than 4"..

I've tried every dang position I can and found I can't tolerate it for more than an hour or so before they gotta go.. (and this is with proper belt and jeans size)..

Irritating - to say the least..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It did take me a while to get used to IWB, but I'm so glad I did. For me, it's THE way to carry.

Now if you happen to have a very small pistol, then something like a Kahr in a very high ride OWB with a minimum of 15 degree forward cant will conceal well and be very comfortable. That's a mode of carry that conceals well, but is THE most comfort in carrying a gun I've ever had.

But we don't carry a gun because they're comfortable, but because they're comforting.

I personally (and this is just me, I don't knock anyone who does it different) prefer a full sized gun for my primary. If it ever does happen, I just think if you only had something small and light you would instantly miss your full sized pistol. I've never heard of anyone who was in a gun fight who ever wished they brought a smaller gun.

And Redneck - For small guns, I really do like that Kahr .380; that's a good looking little pistol...I'm kinda wanting one for a pocket gun.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 62 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,652
Posts18,455,518
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.