I continue my search for the perfect dual CCW magazine pouch. This is a two-fold search. First, I want to find an OWB dual pouch for double stack magazines. Second, I want an IWB dual pouch for pocket nine magazines that rides low.

I generally wear magazine pouches under an untucked Polo shirt. For all of the quality gear that people make for pistols, I just can’t find anything that works for something as simple as a Glock 19 or Glock 43. I tried the standard DeSantis dual OWB model for both guns. The back of the pouches that are above the belt line rip my skin. That would be bad enough, but the rear of the magazines do the same thing.

I also acquired an El Paso Saddlery single OWB mag pouch for the G19, and I have the same problem.

I tried a Sparks IPD (IWB) for a Springfield XDS. Sparks does not make it smooth side out in the double (it will for the single), and the pouch, although it had a backing that went as high as the magazines, was rough side out and downright painful. The other issue I have is that the magazine rides rather high for an IWB model, which negates one benefit of IWB.

I found a local guy to make some IWB mag pouches for me. He uses a metal clip, and the leather is not Sparks’ quality. But, it gets the magazines very low and they hide well. The clips are hard on wooden backed chairs, shirts and upholstery. But, I keep buying them until I can find the right one.

I spoke to someone at Milt Sparks last year. I e-mailed pictures of my local-guy magazine pouches and asked if it was possible to make a very discrete dual IWB pouch for pocket nines that rides lower. It seems like an untapped market to me. Anyway, no luck with that.

I recently ordered a holster from TT Gunleather for a Glock 43 that is reviewed here. I also ordered an IWB dual magazine pouch that appeared to ride lower than many offerings and which also offered smooth side out covering of the entire magazine.

Here are pictures of the front and back of the magazine pouch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

An obvious difference from many other offerings, including Sparks, is that it is a larger apparatus than many IWB rigs. I gave up an extra belt loop to fit it inside the pants. It also does not ride as low as my local-made rigs, but it is much more comfortable than any production rigs I have tried in that application.

It rides well inside the waistband. I think that a part of this is the flaring at the bottom of the pouch that angles outward slightly. Here is a picture of a cross section, looking at the bottom of the pouch.

[Linked Image]

Here is a picture of various magazine pouches on my belt. On the left is the Sparks IPD for the Springfield XDs 7 rounder (basically, a 1911 magazine), the TT for the G43, and my local guy IWB for the G43.

[Linked Image]

I find the TT to be an acceptable compromise in that it is really comfortable, although I probably would prefer if the belt loop wings were a little higher in order to get the pouch riding lower. Note that this setup likely would be pretty bulky for a pair of double stack magazines.

One minor issue is that the belt loops swivel until they are snapped down. I managed to snug them down a little with a screwdriver, which is a help. They also need to stretch out a slight bit, but that is a break in issue.

As for the OWB issue, TT makes a pouch similar to the one above but with the IWB loops and belt loops so it can be worn OWB, and Ryan Grizzle makes a double OWB (called a GS2) that looks similar. One of those is probably next up on my order list. If I try one of those, a report will follow.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 02/09/16. Reason: typo

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln