Print Thread
Hop To
J
jfkid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I recently picked up this rifle planning to either recycle it into a 416 Rigby or rechamber to 300 Weatherby.
[Linked Image]
What can you tell me about PO Ackley's rifles and whether I should use it for a project or keep it as is. I'll post more pictures next

BP-B2

J
jfkid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
jfkid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
jfkid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
If I keep it I will have to find a cheap set of dies. I am having second thoughts about hacking it up. What can anyone tell me about the laminated walnut stock? It seems made up of 7 thick layers of black walnut.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'd say laminating has come a long way since that one was made.

It's an interesting piece. Good idea to keep it as is. You could probably get a Weatherby Vanguard in .300 for the same money as reworking that one. Everybody needs an old '06.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like that old rifle. I'd leave it just as is. Shoot it, you might just be surprised..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That is a cool rifle. I heard that PO Ackley didn't do a lot of his own work but farmed it out. I saw a nicely finished G29/40 Polish made-Steyr assembled Mauser in .243 Win locally w/ his name stamp. The wood to metal fit was beautiful just like it is on yours.

I've always followed the conventional wisdom and purchased a FLS die for my AI cartridges for use in bumping shoulders back, but my 257 AI has cases that have been used 8+Xs w/o the need. I just run em thru a Lee Collet Nexk Sizer for the un-Improved parent and keep rocking. That is how I'd start out w/ this just to see how she shoots?

Good luck! Very cool rifle! I love that "old school cool" look. Never hurts to shoot it first; you can always go Weatherby later if that strikes your fancy.

These are the sorts of rifles I really dig. Nice score!

I hope we can see some range reports soon!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
P.O. Ackley established the gunsmithing school at Trinidad State Junior College shortly after WWII. He took advantage of the availability of low priced government machinery and lots of G.I.'s eager to use their educational benefits. He had a large shop on the highway just outside of town and employed many students to do the work there. The old shop building was still there when I was a student in the gunsmithing school at TSJC in the mid 70's. Ackley moved his shop to Salt Lake City where it remained until his death. Ackley liked to employ a lot of girls in his shop, his reason being that he could leave the shop and not come back and find them working on personal projects like the guys would do. There's not much collecting interest in P.O. Ackley rifles as far as I know, most were pretty plain utilitarian guns like yours. I would also advise against parting it out or altering it as if nothing else it has some historical interest. The .30-06 A.I. is kind of a neat cartridge though the gain over the standard round is not that significant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neat old rifle. I'd leave it as is and use and enjoy it.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

J
jfkid Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Thanks for the info everyone. It seems like everyone thinks I should leave it alone. I have to change out the fore end tip and grip cap to something without the aluminum bling. I would also try my hand at checkering again. Any ideas on a pattern that would suite the stock?

I will say I'm pretty well set with 30/06's. I have three others plus a Mauser sporter in 8x57.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
yeah, I wouldn't hack up an Ackley Made rifle at all...

If you had to have a P17 Enfield, its not like they are not floating around out there for cheap prices still...

I know Ackley's equipment ended up here in Oregon, in Grants Pass, being bought by Mike Bellm...but he moved to Colorado a few years ago...and took it with him of course...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
472 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 40 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.