Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
All:

I would greatly appreciate any guidance, suggestions, or watch-outs the Wyoming cognoscenti may have in regards to putting together an Elk hunt this Fall.

As a non-resident, I submitted my application for the general tag and have 2 preference points so I think the odds are pretty good I will draw. Now I have to sort out where, when, etc. Perhaps I should have had a better handle on that before I applied, but such is life...

I realize it may be a stretch as I think they get booked up well in advance, but the Units that offer an option to rifle hunt during September seem like a very attractive option. In general, I would like to try to find a "wilderness hunt" opportunity so have been calling some outfitters and getting info/references. Any suggestions on outfitters would be very appreciated as well.

I was talking to a fellow from Wyoming at the Harrisburg show this past weekend and he cautioned me to stay out of the Thoroughfare area due to a lot of hunting pressure, so that area is off my list.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Bob

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Wolverine Creek Outfitters
Ryan Lakovitch
307-654-8827
wolverinecreek.com

These guys do the old school pack hunts into wilderness just south of Yellowstone Park. I and my sons have hunted with Ryan and have been very pleased with the operation, and were successful on our hunts.

This area does not have the 350+ class bulls some other areas do (although they are some there). This is in one of the most remote areas in the lower 48 and in addition to elk the sighting of grizzly, moose, and wolves is a very real possibility.

I don't think you will be disappointed with them.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Lee Livingston out of Cody. I believe he is booked for this year but he may have had a cancellation since I talked to him at DSC.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you, guys! I will look into these guys.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What is the throughfare area. Put in for unit 94 this year.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The thoroughfare is the area at the south east corner of Yellowstone. It's pretty remote. I think the park service dumps it's problem grizzlies in that area. I've been told that it is the largest unroaded area in the lower 48. 94 is a long ways from there.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Plenty of Grizz in the thourofare!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I have not hunted with either of these, but have talked to both on the phone and chased down some internet references, both seem ok and I am considering hunting with them for my next elk hunt:

Wolverine Creek (mentioned above): Ryan says 2 points will do it, he has two camps "upper" which is a 25 mile/6 hour horseback ride in/out, and "lower" which I think you can drive to, but hunt out on horse.

Triple3: Buffalo WY, has multiple places for elk, need 2 or 5 points. 5 points gets you on a ranch with big bulls and is a 1-1 hunt.

As I said, I've never hunted with either and have no connection other than I've done my research on them and talked to both on the phone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not saying you couldn't run into a bad hunt in the thorofare, but there is still some very nice hunting in there.

Each of the camps have their strengths and weaknesses in there. Some I'd want to hunt the first hunt and some I'd want to be there in the snow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Contact Jay Reynolds with Open Creek outfitters. I have lots of references you can contact.

PASS IT ON!
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Open Creek Looks cool on the web site, though this made my butt hurt "32 mile horseback ride..." OUCH. :-)

Another option, not mentioned here, is a booking agent. I have a friend who has been using Hunting Consultants Unlimited for 20 years and swears by them and has never had a bad hunt when going through them.

The booking agent concept is interesting, they do your homework on outfitters, usually doesn't cost you anything extra. Worth considering.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Wolverine Creek (mentioned above): Ryan says 2 points will do it, he has two camps "upper" which is a 25 mile/6 hour horseback ride in/out, and "lower" which I think you can drive to, but hunt out on horse.

My son know's Ryan and has a working relationship with him. He runs a first rate operation. I have backpacked in the area he hunts, beautiful country, great elk sign, grizzly too. If I were in the mind to book an outfitted hunt he would be on my short list of candidates.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll bet you could have a great hunt in Open Creek. However, Open Creek flows into the Thorofare, so if you are dead set against the Thorofare you don't want it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.