Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
What is your preferred method of case cleaning Iosso Case Cleaner or Tumbling with Stainless Pins? Why do you prefer one method over the other?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use an ultrasonic cleaner with heat, detergent and LemiShine, but it seems that the stainless steel pins are the most popular these days. My way gets them clean, but the SS pins makes them look better than new.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Overnight in corncob and car wax

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
1) decap
2) stainless
3) perform all brass prep/resize etc (always check chamfer as stainless tends to roll case mouth in a bit)
4) corncob w wax to remove all lube etc and leave protective shiny finish

J
J
I use walnut in a vibrating container. If any lubs or waxes are on the cases, I preclean in a solvent / degreaser prior to vibrations.

I want all cases clean without any oil, lub or wax on the surfaces since all of the above will reduce the ability of the case to hold its position in the chamber, thus, allowing the case to travel towards the bolt face, witch results in additional pressure applied to the bolt.

Joel
Handloading since 1953

IC B2

N
N
How clean do you want?
30 minutes in 20/40 corn will get cases more than clean enough. Decapping prior to cleaning will remove the white powder sometimes found in the primer pocket.
Decapping is almost critical for any wet cleaning.
If you want clean down to bare brass, then an ultrasonic cleaner, hot water, Dawn and citric acid, generally Lemi-Shine, will get the case totally clean in 20-30 minutes, but the only shine will be from the citric acid.
Get an MSDS for the Iosso and see what is in it.
If you want SHINE, then you'll have to go to SS pins and tumble for 2-8 hours (I have to tumble 4-6 hours).
Get the pins out by filling the tub in a media separator like the RCBS unit with water and tumbling the cases/pins in the water. Most/all the pins will fall out as the water fills the case and lifts the pins from the case. Bottleneck cases are a lot more difficult to get the pins out of than straight-wall cases.
You may need a magnet to check for pins still trapped in cases.

Last edited by noylj; 01/23/16.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
For years I used walnut and corn cob in both vibratory and an RCBS Sidewinder tumbler and was satisfied with the results. Since everyone was touting the SS pins I sold the vibratory unit and purchased a Frankford Arsenal Tumbler/SS pin outfit. The brass is certainly beautiful including the inside and primer pockets however I find messing with the water and separating/drying the brass to be a PITA. Not sure I haven't traded messing with the dry media for the wet. I am beginning to think the hassle isn't worth the additional effort, would not have traded were I to have known this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just bot 1K 38 Spl nickel police range P/U's. Ran 50 thru carbide sizer/deprimer with only a quick wipe off with old towel. Feeling a little guilty so I took a moment and cleaned primer pockets. Probably won't do that again. No fuss, no dust, no noise, etc. I think we overdue the case cleaning business.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just bought the big Thumbler Tumbler unit with the SS pins and I love it. Tumble for 3-4 hours in warm water with dawn and lemi-shine and they come out spotless. So far the pin removal has been easy and have no issues with stuck pins in the primer hole like I did with the walnut hulls, seems nearly every case I had to use an ice pick to pick out the tiny pieces that would get lodged in the hole. I did have a couple of .260 Rem cases that the steel pins got lodged sideways in the case neck but thats been it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 Thumbler Tumbler

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IF you decide to go SS pins AND you have a Harbor Freight in your area, check out the dual tub tumbler unit there. I bought mine on sale for a little north of $40 and it's done a great job.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Currently I prefer tumbling with steel pins. Once the initial investment is made the marginal cost to get the brass really clean is negligible with no shopping pet shops for media.

I am currently thinking steel pins may get the brass too clean and I may revert to tumbling or vibrating with pet shop media.

I do have a 9L Hornady Ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning firearms that I can use for a quick clean of fairly large amounts of brass - capacity is adequate and the process is fast. If I had enough brass I like the notion of Iosso in a tank line with multiple 5 gallon buckets as touted by Patrick Sweeney. I also like the idea of the Harbor Freight cement mixer for those with adequate quantities of brass.

R
R
When tumbling with SS pins,
I double the amount of pins from 5#'s to 10#'s,
in my Model "B" tumbler,
cut tumbling time to 1 hr or less,
even with cruddy brass.

Tia,
Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Either wipe it off with a rag, or a couple of hours in vibrator with walnut media if it's real dirty,
I'm not making jewelry.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cleaning brass for the shine is not very high on my list, but I do like to have it something to get the powder residue out of the case.

I currently use a vibrator with rice.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cleaning, The hot water, Dawn, vinegar and salt solution method. Polishing then a tumbler.-Muddy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This has been brought up many times in the other reloading forums. I like keeping my brass clean. This keeps my chambers clean and that's important to maintaining consistent accuracy. This was dirty range pickup brass that I tumbled for 4 hours:
[Linked Image]

I use a 50/50 mix of the red rouge Lyman tufnut walnut media with regular ol walnut media. If you don't mix it, you end up with a rouge residue on your cases.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fail to understand why you put your post in the software section of all places.

JMHO

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.