Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Want to fish for halibut down on the Kenai peninsula from Soldotna to Homer. Want good halibut but not necessarily trophy halibut. Ned a good recommendation to contact and perhaps book. Thanks for the help. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Give Boo Kandas a call. His operation is Tall Tale charters. Nice boat and very experienced.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a heads up that the halibut biomass is on the decline. If you want nice halibut then pick a charter that will make the run out to where the nice fish are. So out of Homer a boat that will take you outside the bay or to the barrens, or take a charter out of Seward that will take you to Montague.

Don't expect good fish if fishing in closer.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is good advice

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Went out of Homer with North Country Charters on a combo, (salmon/halibut) early May, great trip, but that was @ 10 years ago. Last year we went out of Seward for mentioned reasons, Crackerjack is excellent, would advise Seward over Homer, but do your homework and decide what works for you. Good luck.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Out of Seward go to Miller's Landing (ask for the boat Chance is running) or the Fish House (the Proficiency is the better boat). Stay away from Saltwater Safari. A search should find their legal issues which will tell you what kind of prick the captain is.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about our own DaninAlaska? --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Ninilchik Charters (http://ninilchik.com/) located between Homer and Soldotna. My wife and I went out with them and a great day last summer. We are looking forward to going back in 2017.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a GREAT time fishing with Dan. Can't recommend him enough. If he's available, I'd consider it a no-brainer.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by olblue
How about our own DaninAlaska? --- Mel

He post here? I want to do a halibut charter myself this year.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dan used to drive for J&J Smart charters in Ninilchik. Not any more though.

PM him for a reco.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dan just leased a charter license for the coming season...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bearstalker
[quote=olblue]How about our own DaninAlaska? --- Mel

He post here? I want to do a halibut charter myself this year. [/quote year]

Yeah that's his "screen name" PM him
--- Mel

Last edited by olblue; 02/09/16.

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only go with him if you want to have a good time though. I can say from personal experience he's a good captain and a lot of fun.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wear shin guards...

wink

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Wear shin guards...

wink

Not to start a pile on or anything....but...

grin

The reel truth is, Dan's a heck of a nice guy.
You would be in good hands, and he will put you on fish.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 02/09/16.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for all of the kind words, fellas. I have taken a bunch of you guys fishing over the years. I know I had fun, but it's nice to hear that you enjoyed the trips, too.....for the most part.

In my defense, Mark, the current boat is much bigger, so I've got more room to swing that fish bat. I have since put a laser site on it, a Limbsaver De-Resonator, and some tactical stickers. I think it's dialed in, now, but I still wear a helmet - I've been "me" for so long, I guess I'm just used to it. grin

I ran charters for J&J Smart Charters for six seasons, and filled in on part-time basis after my kids were born. We secured our own Charter Halibut Permit for the 2016 season, chartering our boat from July 1 - August 15 and select weekends through the end of the season. We'll be based out J&J's campground, in Ninilchik.

With Rick's blessing, I'll post a little information for you here and a link to our website if you are interested in more. Our boat is a 28-ft Koffler, powered by twin Yamaha 225 four-strokes:
[Linked Image]

This is our first season independently running halibut charters, so we are in the process of gearing up with new rods, reels, tackle, fresh line, and other equipment. We have the conventional stand-up rods for running heavy sinkers, necessary for the tidal currents of Cook Inlet, but when the tide slows, we'll break out the jigging rods. If you've never caught halibut on light tackle before, it's nothing to miss!
[Linked Image]

Here's a photo of me and Dad from last season:
[Linked Image]

Our new fleet of Avet reels, just waiting for some worthy fish:
[Linked Image]

In addition to the halibut charters, we are offering clamming trips this season. The beaches at Clam Gulch and Ninilchik are closed again this year, but the clams on the west side of Cook Inlet are big and plentiful:
[Linked Image]

For those interested, feel free to check out the website and drop us an e-mail or give us a call. Be sure to let me know you're a 24hr Campfire member! We'd be happy to get you out fishing.
www.seekingadventures.net

[Linked Image]

Thanks,
Dan

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sign me up Dan....and that bat needs to be AI'd, huh?

Perhaps a 24HCF trip on 'less-than-lumpy' water!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Danged if this isn't perfect timing, was going to PM both you guys tonight,(Dan & Mike). We have a place rented outside of Soldotna for most of Sept., will talk to you both before then.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sweet boat Dan, top of the line gear too. Here's to a good season!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (1eyedmule, 257 mag, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 10 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,264
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.