Thanks for all the replies.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by billy336
[Linked Image]

I'm a big fan of Lonzo Game Calls. This Eastern and a few Osceolas were fans too. For 50 bucks, can't beat the birds eye maple slate

That is one Boss Tom, Billy. Very nice.

I dont believe there is a way to age Toms (correct me of I remember wrong) but the length of those primary fan feathers, and the secondary tail feathers also being long, not light and fuzzy, and having fully visible black accents, from what ive examined over the years says hes of decent age.

Beauty of a photo too.

You be lookin like Manny Puig from The Savage Wild hunting program.

Last edited by WillARights; 01/25/16.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks, got him on my south GA lease. Excited for spring. I think Puig is tryin to look like me.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
You can definitely get bogged down in the choices that are out there.

I can highly recommend hunting with someone who is an experienced turkey hunter. What you do, and how you set up is as important as the calling I've found out.

I have a friend who is obsessed with making perfect turkey sounds and it's just not that critical in my opinion, just listen to real turkeys.

I have had many calls, none extremely expensive, but decent calls that I have settled on for my needs.

Cody Slate pot style call.(good for low sweet or raspy sounds)

Cody Glass (this call makes the best sounds to me, can make it raspy or crystal clear)

MAD Super Aluminator 2(aluminum call with an acrylic striker,can use it to locate, because it will get very loud, I use this one a lot on damp or rainy days)

A good box call, Lynch Foolproof is good, as are others. It gets damp and wet a lot here in south Alabama and I bought a Woods Wise Mystic Wet Hen box call with a black lid that has a no chalk feature and will play wet. It doesn't sound good to me, but I have watched numerous gobblers die with the sound of that call the last thing they heard. We started calling it the black box of death.

For locator calls. In the morning I just use my own voice to owl hoot, later in the morning I may use a crow call, or the box call to locate birds.

I am no good with mouth calls but have found a few that I can at least make a turkey like sound with and keep one in my mouth when a bird is coming in. If they hang up and just need a little more coaxing then I use the mouth call.

Most experienced turkey hunters won't use a push button call, but the last birds I called in came to one. It was the only call I had gotten out that morning for my son to use and the birds sneaked up on me. I like the ones that don't need chalk, again because of the usually damp weather in my area.

We can use decoys in Alabama and I have been using a Dave Smith Decoy upright hen along with a Funky Chicken Jake and have had good luck. I have also had good luck with the cheap foam decoys.

None of these calls are very expensive and they just plain work for me.

The next question is which shells to use, 3 inch, 3 1/2 inch, lead, copper plated, hevi shot, #4's, 5's, 6's, 12 gauge or 20 gauge, which choke tube? laugh

When you have one gobble in your face, you'll be hooked.

Bob.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
IMO, I would recommend starting out the way I did way back when.... Get a Lynch Box Call, a Slate Call with an extra waterproof striker, crow call and owl hooter. Then have a friend show you how to run the calls or watch some video (not available when I started).
You can run the box call in a plastic bag if it rains, and you can dry your slate call with a bic lighter in the field.
Once you decide you like the sport then branch out to air operated calls and custom friction calls. If you are like most of us you will eventually collect more calls than you can use, but that's part of the fun.
A lot of success in turkey hunting is woodsman ship which you learn by the seat of your pants in the field.
The biggest tip I can give you is don't fall in love with your calling. IMO for most situations, subtle calling is better.

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Get on lovettwilliams.com and get the full set of CDs. Knowing what to say and when to say it is far more important than the caller you use. Killing turkeys usually does not require very much calling here in the Southeast, if you know how to set up and truly talk turkey. If I were starting out I'd get just one good pot call and learn it very well.

As for which call, try https://www.facebook.com/CHAMPIONSCGC/ Get a call and watch his videos on how to play them.

Since you are new with it, I will also recommend you get a copy of Kenny Morgan's books. You can get the new one and a reprint of the old one https://www.facebook.com/TurkeyCallers

Getting those CDs and books will put you very far ahead. I'd rather have that knowledge and have to do my calling with a blade of grass or piece of river cane than have the best call and be without the knowledge.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sound advice ruralite.

Ive listened a couple of those tapes. Good stuff!

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you're just starting off find a decent slate call, a few different strikers, learn to diaphragm call and buy a pack of em and maybe a locator call.

Get to learn the calls, your strengths and weakness and what you are best with. I have a Lynch fool-proof but rarely touch it.

Then focus on scouting, decoy set up and your game plan. Stay safe and good luck!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I make and sell a custom call. It's a scratchbox. Here's the text of an email I got last week from a guy in Texas who bought one:

The turkey calls, from a historical and innovative standpoint, are fascinating to me. I have many scratch boxes, old, new, “artisan”, antiques, functional, semi-functional, broken, and some that look like experiments, etc. I am by no means a master of any of them. There’s plenty of people who talk turkey better than I do. But I can sufficiently operate many different styles and I have my preferences. So now to my point…

This Northern Scratchbox of yours is awesome. It has a very nice tone and is quite versatile in making different sounds. I can easily say this is the best sounding scratch box I own. I may even convince myself that the ‘Northern Scratchbox’ is all I need to carry…and leave my sack of calls at home!

Well Done! I am very happy with it.

In a later email he said he was going to order a couple more. Trouble is, I don't have any in stock right now. I'm selling them faster than I can make them. I'm hoping to have about 20 finished by the end of the week, but they could sell at an event where I'm speaking Saturday night.

Maybe I need to raise the price.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everydayhunter, do you have a picture?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Everydayhunter, do you have a picture?

[Linked Image]
I sold out last weekend and am working to make more. The body of the call is Zebrawood, Cherry or Maple. Right now I'm finishing up calls with a Zebrawood body and soundboards in Cedar, Walnut, Sassafras or Butternut. After the Zebrawood is sold I'll be making them only with a Cherry or Maple body, and mostly with a Cedar soundboard.

Here's the page on my website that describes them: http://www.everydayhunter.com/turkeycall.htm

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BKS

Calling is only about 10 to MAYBE 15% of turkey hunting. Don't get all caught up in different turkey calls when you are just starting out. Once you gain some experience, THEN you will be able to make a better decision about calls. Between now and then, do your home work. FIND WHERE THE TURKEYS ARE. The best way to succeed at turkey hunting is to hunt where there are turkeys.

Get out and walk woods roads looking for droppings, scratching's, dusting spots, dropped feathers, and tracks. Look for tracks in sandy ditches beside dirt roads in the woods. Look in the sand or mud along the sides of small streams. Look for turkeys in fields next to wood to lots as you drive along.

Once you have located an area where YOU KNOW turkey's are located, THEN become very familiar with it. Learn every stream, road and briar patch so that when you are in there and you hear a gobbler, you KNOW about where he is and how to approach him. If you try to slip up on a gobbler in the dark or early morning without knowing the territory, you are going to scare him off the roost.

Once you slip in to about 100 yards or so, stop and set up there.(Get your back against a tree larger than you are. Get your mask and gloves on. Get out your call(s) and place them within easy reach. Check your gun and make sure it is ready.) Then make several yelps with a common box call. It does not have to be fancy and just about any of the commercial calls will do to begin with. They are easy to use and difficult to screw up calling with them. Once a gobbler answers you, he knows within shotgun range where you are because HE KNOWS the territory too.

If you are confident in your calling, continue to call. If not, then clucks will do because he CAN HEAR YOU if he has already answered at least once. Be patient and stay alert. They don't always come straight in and sometimes there is more than one turkey that will come and they may or may not gobble at all.

Your woods craft and hunting skills are more important than calling, so don't get caught up in all the "toys" that are available to turkey hunters. Kill a couple of turkeys with basic gear first and then you can go to the toy store better prepared to make good decisions.

All the best to you.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Ragnar73--- spot on

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I disagree with the others that you need a custom call. I've had about every call imaginable, and used to carry them all.

Now I carry a few diaphram calls in my pocket, and I have a belt holder that holds two slat/pot calls and two strikers. So, that's what I carry. I have a Drury Outdoors aluminum "slate" call that's real high pitched and cuts the wind. I also have a Primos glass that I can call real soft with.

Where I WOULD spend the extra money on is a striker. I have a few different ones and they ALL make a different sound on each call. You'll learn from experience what you and the birds like in your hunting area. The only way you'll figure that out is to hunt.... So go hunt. smile

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here is one of the pot calls I

[Linked Image]

Same bird, but with a very, very happy client

[Linked Image]

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out chain reaction game calls. Tom is a top notch guy and provides one heck of a call. Prices are very reasonable. Currently stationed away from home and he has set up shop to keep production going. Amazing workmanship to say the least

Think i need a bigger gun
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Primos the Super Freak Crystal slate call is one of my favorite calls. Would be pretty easy to use for someone just starting out. You get some good raspy sounding hen yelps pretty easily.

Congrats and welcome to the 10th Legion. Good luck this spring.

I Hunt and I Fish, If I Need to Get Away. If You're Finding Fault With Me, Moaning More Than I Can Stand, I'll Tell You What...For a Little While I'll Go See the Outdoor Plan. -Hank III
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Unless you hire a guide and hunt on property managed for turkeys, anyone lacking hunting and woods craft skills who thinks they can buy a fancy call, a fancy shotgun, fancy camo, fancy decoys, and go out in the woods and kill turkeys is in for a big shock. But the advertising guys on Madison Avenue and custom call makers will have you believe that crap if you listen to them. Turkey hunting is a learned skill. If you want to kill turkeys, you have to learn how to do it and you don't do it with all the crap Madison Avenue or custom call makers want to sell you. You do it with skill gained from being the woods long enough, observing, listening, and learning and they can't sell you that. If they could, anyone and everyone could kill turkeys with no problem.

Last edited by BobWills; 03/26/16. Reason: typo

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.