Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jwall

Originally Posted by gunswizard
The idea that a variable power scope is somehow less reliable is an ___old myth___ that surfaces from time to time. All of my hunting rifles are equipped with variable power scope, haven't experienced any problems with them what so ever.

I TOTALLY agree that it is an old MYTH. I also think that yrs ago variables WERE NOT as reliable as fixed Xs. I once had a fixed 6X but it's been SO LONG I don't remember what brand.

This "myth" is still alive here on the 'fire'. I have & use 3 Bushnell "Banner" 4-12 X 40 scopes that I bought in the 80s--that's 1980s. I used 2 of them this past deer season.

I have other 3-9s and 4-12s and NONE of them have given me any trouble. I'm reluctant to tell anyone this, but I will. In 2008 I bought a Win 70 WinLite 300 WM. It came w/a SIMMONS 3-9 Whitetail scope - their BOTTOM feeder. I "thot", I'll give it a try. Guess What? It never has shifted POI, it adjusts reliably, and I'm still 'trying' it. If It Ain't Broke..

So IME, the variables have proven themselves RELIABLE since 1980. I've never had a failure with any variable BUT-BUT I did WEAR 1 out. I put it on every hard kicking rifle that came along and used it for grouping & graphing. I STILL have it's carcass out of 'respect'. It EARNED its keep.

As to Mr. Petzal's statement about good aerodynamic 8mm bullets-
the 200 gr 8mm's have ABOUT the same BC as 270--130s. What's wrong with the NP 200 8mm bullet? I've seen pics of a couple of newer 8mm bullets that also QUALIFY as 'good'

These are MY OPINIONS based on MY EXPERIENCE.
YMMV

Jerry

edited - to correct 'spell check'-- whistle

How many rounds to do shoot a year? Dozens? Hundreds? Thousands?

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I wonder how much hunting Petzal actually does anymore? He lives and works in the NYC area and seem to remember my brother in law, who worked with him, mention he had some sort of physical problems. Bad back maybe? He also said he liked to take naps under his desk at work,lol, and that he was quit the charachter.

Last edited by BWalker; 02/10/16.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
If my math and memories are correct, Dave turned 74 last October. Don't know how much he's hunting these days, but I hunted with him quite a bit from the late 70's to the around 2000, both in Montana and other places here and there.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In one of Jack O'Connors last books he went off on new gun writers he thought gave bad advice. The two in particular he went after were Norman Strung and Dave Petzal. I happened to like Norman Strungs work; however, every time Petzal gives an opinion I think about Jack's comments.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I remember reading that part of the book. Both Dave and Norm were pretty young when O'Connor had his little encounter with them--in fact they were exactly the same age, since they were born on the same day in 1941. Norm was a very good hunter, and had been outfitting for a while, but not much of a gun guy, and had some bad experiences on elk with poor .270 bullets, which set O'Connor off. Petzal was indeed a little shy on elk experience then, and years later did kill a good bull with a .270, using good bullets.

What was interesting to me was O'Connor's rather snotty put-down of Strung as a "part-time school teacher." The "school teaching" Strung did for a while was very similar to what O'Connor did for a while at the same age: an assistant professor of English at a state university.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Petzal was indeed a little shy on elk experience then, and years later did kill a good bull with a .270, using good bullets.

I always found it funny that Petzal and Boddington wrote for years that the .270 was not a decent elk cartridge. Then both tried it, and I believe were pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I always found that interesting too!

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am trying to get caught up since my first post in this thread.

Originally posted by Mule Deer
The scopes on the rifles my wife and I own, right now, are just about 50/50 split between variables and fixed, because of our numerous experiences with variables that failed.

Sometimes these failures were deliberately induced, by mounting the scopes on rifles of .300 magnum or larger, which makes a definite difference. But many were never mounted on any rifle that kicked harder than a .257 Roberts, yet still went wonky.

I easily concede that you have been doing more shooting & hunting than I have in the past 8-10 yrs. That equates to MORE rifles and scopes used/abused. <grin>.

However from 1980-2005 I 'think' I would have given you a run for your money. During those years - guns/loading/shooting/graphing/hunting was or were my only hobby or past time.

As we talked in another thread I was a "churner". During those years I have NO IDEA of how many rounds I shot/yr nor exactly how many diff. rifles,cartridges, & scopes I used, sold, or traded.

AS you mentioned, some of your scopes had deliberately induced failures. I ONLY had 1.

----The following is from P 2 of this thread.----

" BUT-BUT I did WEAR 1 out. I put it on every hard kicking rifle that came along and used it for grouping & graphing. I STILL have it's carcass out of 'respect'. It EARNED its keep."
^^^^^^^^^^^^
The rest of my scopes have had years of normal loading,shooting, & hunting use. So I do UNDERSTAND the MORE scopes and the MORE shooting qualifies YOU as a better judge of scope quality and dependability.

At the same time I've had 'lower priced'=cheap to some,scopes on 7 Mags, 300 Mags, and 1 8mm RM and have graphed/grouped/hunted those same scopes for some years w/o any failures at all.

I really hope this makes sense to you, it does in my twisted mind.< grin>.

Basically I guess I am trying to say that to the "average" hunter/shooter the variables are dependable.

Also there are BAD APPLES in Fords,Chevys,Dodges. So one could get ahold of a bad scope occasionally.

W H E W W- that was a lot of typing, editing, & retyping. I really HOPE M D read this. grin grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get kick out of his dry wit.

`Bring Enough Gun`
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Jerry, I think Mr Petzal tried to keep the bc comparison Apple's to Apple's between the .325 and .338.
And he didn't say anything was "wrong" with the .325, he just said it wasn't his first choice.

Okay smokey I went back and re-read the quoted post and I agree w/you.

Also

Originally Posted by 338Rules

I have to agree that the 8mm doesn't have a lot of substantially constructed high BC bullets like the .338 calibre !

I agree w/338Rules about MORE 338 bullets. I really am NOT up on all the new bullets EVEN in 8mm & 338 but I do know there are. I've seen a few pics of bullets that are new and look very good for the 8mm/325 WSM.

At the same time we don't need 6-8 different good bullets for BG hunting in EACH caliber.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman

How many rounds to do shoot a year? Dozens? Hundreds? Thousands?

mathman, I really wish I had an exact answer for you, because I would really like to know myself <and not tell my wife>.

From 1980--2005 I am safe to say more than 1000 per year and maybe more. I can tell you a couple of stories about where I lived in 2 diff places and shot behind my house. I was privileged to have good backstops for testing, graphing, etc. w/o having to leave the house.

I am sincerely trying to be honest in my answer. I also know that with as much shooting as I have done w/variable scopes, I would have EXPECTED to have some failures.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It seems to me that the importance of shooting a lot of rounds when evaluating the durability of scopes would depend considerably on what cartridges are being used. I shoot thousands of rounds every year from rifles but the vast majority are rim fire and .223. These are not going to tax scopes very much. On the other hand, if someone is shooting a lot of rounds of .300 WM and up then that experience should be more of a test of scope durability. Obviously big magnums would have the most potential impact on scopes but few people shoot them in great volume.

I've had good luck with variable scopes, mostly Leupold's, over the last 30 years but I don't generally shoot hard recoiling cartridges in volume, even though I sometimes hunt with them.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I know this is getting a little off the main topic but since it keeps coming up, I will comment too. Anyone who thinks that a variable powered scope is a durable as a fixed power of the same brand and quality is kidding himself. There are real moving parts, there are little parts, anything that is subject to movement, especially under recoil, is at a much higher risk of moving more or to somewhere other than where it should. Some of the stuff, like the turrets coming off and VXIII/VX3 doesn't make any difference.

Are they reliable? Absolutely. Is a 4.5-14 VX3 as reliable (not breaking internally over time) as a M8-3x, not even close.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I won't disagree, but I do know I put more than a couple of hundred rounds of 375's loaded to the hilt down a 7 lbs total KS 700 wearing a Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40.

As hard as I tried to send that scope back to Leupold I could not kill it. For that fact, I have not sent one back yet that was on a heavy hitter including 338's and 300's.

I had no problem sending 3 Minox's back.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have broken three Leupolds on my 8# 340 Wby. Not sure what to put on it now. It flat destroys scopes. Most durable variable I have ever used was a 2-7 Burris Fullfield I. I put over 3000 rounds of 300 Wby past it, carried it over 100 days in scabbards on mules and horses and countless tumbles and scrapes. It held zero until the day that I upgraded to a more powerful, brighter scope.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think readers like Petzal because he shoots from the hip. His advice isn't bad for most folks...he's missing the point of the 325 WSM, but then, so did nearly everyone else, as did the market in general that has discounted this round.

The 325 was designed by Winchester to be an alternative choice that was the equivalent of the 338 Mag in a shorter, lighter package with less recoil, and it does exactly that.

Also, missing the point is that the BC of the 8mm AB is 10% higher than the same weight bullet in .338 diameter, and that bullet easily stays supersonic to 100 yards and maintains 1500 fp of energy, (which some consider minimum for Elk), to around 600 yards...that's a reasonably capable round to my eyes.

Certainly the 8mm only has a handful of good bullets available, but you only need one, really, and the lessened recoil is a MAJOR bonus for some shooters. Granted, it's not a lot, but can make a difference.

The 325 could have been one of the more popular in the WSM line-up instead of a dead chambering if it had been a 338. It would also have been inferior to the 338 WM, but more popular.

As to those rugged variables, I don't know where guys buy them, but let me know so I can buy those instead of some of the ones I have had.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Also, missing the point is that the BC of the 8mm AB is 10% higher than the same weight bullet in .338 diameter...that bullet easily stays supersonic to 100 yards and maintains 1500 fp of energy, (which some consider minimum for Elk), to around 600 yards.

And then he says this in his comments in the latest Nosler Load Guide #8.

"The 338 Winchester Magnum is an excellent long-range round:"

This is why I don't pay any attention to him.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If he's guiding hunters to the 338, then that is probably very good advice and will be a lot better outcome for those who needed that guidance...for a lot of very good reasons, just not the reasons he mentioned.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Probably? like in maybe?

And one of those good reasons being?

Like the 338 WM is a noted go to long range cartridge?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have used Leopould variables exclusively for over 30 years on magnum and non magnum calibers and have never had one fail after being carried hundreds of miles on horseback, bounced around in riverboats, pick ups , quads etc.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,127
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.