Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I see that Sears is getting ready to close another bunch of store. They used to be THE name in tools, etc. Then they discovered China & now their tools are crap. They used to have good prices but now they're priced out of the market.
They need new management, not less stores.

Sears looks to sell more assets, accelerate store closures after weak fourth quarter
Published February 09, 2016 The Wall Street Journal

Sears Holdings Corp. said Tuesday that it would sell more assets, accelerate store closures and find other ways to cut costs after revenue fell short of expectations and cash flow turned negative in the important holiday quarter.

Shares in the department-store operator fell Tuesday to their lowest levels since 2003. The stock, down 54% over the past 12 months, declined 8.8% to $15.25 in 4 p.m. trading Tuesday.

The Hoffman Estates, Ill.-based retailer run by billionaire hedge-fund manager Edward Lampert has been jettisoning assets to fund operating losses and other obligations.

Since 2012, the company has raised $9.5 billion by selling real estate and business units, including the Lands’ End clothing chain and Sears Hometown and Outlet Stores, according to Monica Aggarwal, an analyst with Fitch Ratings.

Last year alone, the company raised $3.1 billion by selling stores into joint ventures with mall owners and spinning off 266 properties into a real-estate investment trust.

As of Jan. 31, 2015, the company operated 1,725 Sears and Kmart stores. Sears used a large chunk of the money it earned from last year’s real-estate deals to reduce debt by about $1 billion.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
They will be gone by year end.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sports Authority is circling the drain as well.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, Sears. Here I thought this was going to be about the fools that administrate our company!

Just another case of the farther away decision-making is removed from the people who actually generate the revenue, the worse the company does. i.e. find me a sears corporate guy who's depended on tools for a living, or directly served the guys who do, or in our case, anyone in administration in our company who knows chit about medicine.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
sad about Sears. been shopping there for 5 decades.

i too, thought the OP was talking about the USA. very similar

ked

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey, at least the man at the top is a billionaire. After all, he's doing a bangup job ruining a decades old company.

I need to get a job where I get rewarded like that for utter failure.

LOL
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Sears WAS the internet sales of many a rural person for a LONG time. Shame.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sears was bought for it's massive real estate holdings. The plan was always to cut it up. The real estate in HI was some of the first to go.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They lost the battle when they forgot who brought them to the dance.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A former coworker's previous job had been the general manager of a pretty large Sears store. He started out working part time while still in high school for Sears and over the years worked his way up.

He said it got so unbearably stressful trying to satisfy the new management whims after the Sears/Kmart merger that he had to opt for early retirement. Within a year or two after he left Sears the man who took his position left Sears too and also came to work for our company.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
They lost the battle when they forgot who brought them to the dance.

Not the urban mall shoppers??

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago I knew the manager of a Sears tire shop. When he was about 2 years from retirement, they moved him to clothing and put him on a full commission. Since the department manager didn't sell much, he was starving. He was just trying to get by until he could retire. They were trying to force him out of his pension.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I see that Sears is getting ready to close another bunch of store. They used to be THE name in tools, etc. Then they discovered China & now their tools are crap. They used to have good prices but now they're priced out of the market.
They need new management, not less stores.

Yep , by the time Sears went Chinee Walmart/Lowes/Home Depot already OWNED the cheep Chinee tool market. Sears was crazy to think they could go up against them in that market.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I don't think tool sales was/is the made or break of Sears.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM

No, it was trying to sell women's clothing and curtains. Remember the "softer side of Sears" campaign?

Core competency is a concept accountants just can't grasp. You can't run a business without numbers, and you can't run a business by the numbers. As long as accountants are in charge, a business will decline.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How can this happen in the Tremendous Obama Recovery?

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by EdM

No, it was trying to sell women's clothing and curtains. Remember the "softer side of Sears" campaign?

Core competency is a concept accountants just can't grasp. You can't run a business without numbers, and you can't run a business by the numbers. As long as accountants are in charge, a business will decline.

Women's clothing was in Sears from the beginning. The original catalogs had about everything you could imagine, including clothing. A country person could easily get by if he had to buy everything he owned from Sears.
When this area was settled in the early 1900's, a lot of the houses built were Sears kits. They were quality houses and many are still standing.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Oh, Sears. Here I thought this was going to be about the fools that administrate our company!

I thought it was our country.

Sears and Montgomery Wards were THE two catalog stores for decades..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by EdM

Women's clothing was in Sears from the beginning. The original catalogs had about everything you could imagine, including clothing. A country person could easily get by if he had to buy everything he owned from Sears.
When this area was settled in the early 1900's, a lot of the houses built were Sears kits. They were quality houses and many are still standing.

Sears house kit plans - 1908 throurh 1940.

http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/1908-1914.htm

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Hey, at least the man at the top is a billionaire. After all, he's doing a bangup job ruining a decades old company.

I need to get a job where I get rewarded like that for utter failure.

Good post - way too many businesses controlled by people interested in how they can wheel and deal rather than run a business based on growth through providing the product(s) the company purports to supply.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 59 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.