Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I went to cash over two years ago because I believed the markets were a fraud. Looked like an idiot not making the gains some of my bud's did. Now I don't look like as much of an idiot, as I've lost exactly zero. I also got out of debt completely over 15 years ago. That's the single best move I've ever made.

I agree with Shrap.....never let anyone invest your money for you.

What is your strategy to get back in the market?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have one account (Fidelity index fund) that's down about $85,000; I don't want to look at the others, including my IRA, my wife's IRA and other joint accounts - they're certainly down big time. On the other hand, I've put additional money into the Fidelity account (at the lower prices) and know the values will come back. Generally, it takes about 12-18 months for a recovery.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My wife and I lost what would equal about 20% of our income in the market the last couple months. I want to retire in 10 years. My company was dumping its pension, so I took that in December, but left in a cash account (Vanguard IRA). Thank goodness I didn't reinvest it yet. I made enough there for a Happy Meal! At least it didn't add to my losses and I'm thankful.

Unless others have ideas, I'm planning on sitting tight and waiting until I recover those losses. Then maybe take a hard look at everything. I need to double my money in 10 years. I can do that with a 4-5% return, and continued contribution of course.

"Honey, when I die, sell my guns for what they're worth and not what I told you I paid for them."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shrapnel
My father told me a long time ago, when your money is gone, it is gone. Only new money will replace it.

I heard the same thing about poontang.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You don't lose until you sell and accept that you have lost.

Time and the ability to stay the course is the thing that matters along with portfolio allocation adjustment along the way.

I would venture that the 300% annual returns are not on large amounts of capital. No offense intended just MHO.

Yeah, I've lost a chunk on paper over the past year but have done so in the past as well. I have stayed the course and always been better off for it. Panic selling and market timing are fools errands.

It does not hurt to have an alternative residual income stream that is unassociated with the stock market that will support your lifestyle regardless of market ups and downs.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I went to cash over two years ago because I believed the markets were a fraud. Looked like an idiot not making the gains some of my bud's did. Now I don't look like as much of an idiot, as I've lost exactly zero. I also got out of debt completely over 15 years ago. That's the single best move I've ever made.

I agree with Shrap.....never let anyone invest your money for you.

What is your strategy to get back in the market?

I have no strategy yet. I'm going to continue to put my money into business ventures because I believe if a guy is in the correct niche in the oil field there is lots of money to be made, even today. As far as cash goes, I'm gonna stick with short term muni's and CD's.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
JG, I would like to find a business venture to invest in, I've been pondering opportunities for some time. I left Lubbock in 2002, if I was still in the area I would be looking at rental properties, I agree it's a great way to supplement your income in a college town. For now, I'll continue to put money into the market every month and trust that history continues to repeat itself and it will grow over time.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Roger that Techsan....good luck to you sir!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I missed out on the big gains in the market so I've missed out on the recent losses as well.

Been too busy building another biz. Why yes I am a bit foolish thanks for asking. No fool like an old fool, who starts a biz at 57 years old sheesh

But it looks like that biz venture will be viable and I'm grateful for such as I've been working 60+ hrs the last year or so.

My opinion is that the market will in the not too distant future go on a tear

Hope to have dropped some significant coin into it before that happens

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My retirement investments are down much more than the amount I'm saving on gas. But its only numbers on paper unless you panic and sell when its low. Looking back over the 35 years that I have been in the market I don't see much that would have made me as much. Maybe 22 ammo!

lightman
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by EdM
I will line up in the "horseshit" line given we are talking many hundreds of thousands or multiples of millions...

He is the Chuck Norris of investing, so of course he did.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There is more than one way to make 200-300% or more on your money. Sounds like Shrap is practicing at least one way. There are others. Ones that I'm aware of take an investment of time (and at least a little money) to learn.

Last edited by local_dirt; 02/10/16.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I didn't sell out but I did take out 18% of my portfolio to reinvest in a fund similar but I think is is better fund. My wife told me to see my BP stocks and jump back in . She thinks it's going to go down more. It might but It is now lower than it has been since 1996. Cant sell now but mixing up a bit might be ok.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The prices for fuel here have not gone down as much as other places.
As for investments go 2 years ago we made back all of those funds that got killed when 911 happened.

Seems like we would never get above 80,000.

So far this year we are up about 5%.

Could change tomorrow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't lost anything because I haven't sold. I am down about $200,000 on paper though. I'll burn close to 10,000 gallons of fuel this season so the fuel prices help. My rentals make just enough to get by without other income if I really had to. They are very stable so no worries there.

I stopped investing in 401K's a few years ago. I dabble a little on my own during winter months. I have enough invested in the stock market so to diversify I'm investing in things I can see and touch as well as my new business. I just bought another dozer this morning. smile

Cash in the mattress is losing money. It's called inflation.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by local_dirt
There is more than one way to make 200-300% or more on your money. Sounds like Shrap is practicing at least one way. There are others. Ones that I'm aware of take an investment of time (and at least a little money) to learn.

Annually on large funds rather than a Sako?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Selling a large quantity stock right now that is doing well, just to balance out my portfolio.

Taking that amount and dumping it into a few mutual funds. I personally like this down market to jump into these funds a little deeper,cheaper......grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I moved everything into a money market fund last year anticipating a correction. My employer changed us from John Hancock to Merrill lynch. I received a blackout notice shortly before warning me to make sure I was where I wanted to be because I wouldn't be able to change it for a few weeks. I thought no problem they're probably mapping us over to similar funds and they'll just put me in another money market fund. The change happened first of the year and I didn't worry. They finally showed us how to log onto our new accounts a few weeks ago and to my surprise I've lost thousands in the last month or so. It seems that instead of taking the time to map us to similar funds they just put us all in a mid range fund that's over 70% stock.

They only moved 8 of us and four of us had all pulled out of the market and were in money market/ no risk and they put all of us into stocks. We are all pissed and have all lost thousands. They just told us to leave it where they put it and it will eventually come back. We all went to cash last year after talking together and wanted to wait for a correction to the 15k range before getting back in. They pretty much screwed that plan for us.

Their answer is that they are not at fault because they send us blackout notices. We're are thinking ok, the notice said make sure you have it where you want it because you won't be able to move it for a while. It said nothing about them putting us all back into stock heavy funds. It doesn't seem right. They said you shouldn't have tried to time the market. Last time I tried to time it and parked money market was early 2008. I didn't loose a penny during that crash. This doesn't seem right. It's just numbers on paper to them but to me it's thousands of dollars.

Bb

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I moved everything into a money market fund last year anticipating a correction. My employer changed us from John Hancock to Merrill lynch. I received a blackout notice shortly before warning me to make sure I was where I wanted to be because I wouldn't be able to change it for a few weeks. I thought no problem they're probably mapping us over to similar funds and they'll just put me in another money market fund. The change happened first of the year and I didn't worry. They finally showed us how to log onto our new accounts a few weeks ago and to my surprise I've lost thousands in the last month or so. It seems that instead of taking the time to map us to similar funds they just put us all in a mid range fund that's over 70% stock.

They only moved 8 of us and four of us had all pulled out of the market and were in money market/ no risk and they put all of us into stocks. We are all pissed and have all lost thousands. They just told us to leave it where they put it and it will eventually come back. We all went to cash last year after talking together and wanted to wait for a correction to the 15k range before getting back in. They pretty much screwed that plan for us.

Their answer is that they are not at fault because they send us blackout notices. We're are thinking ok, the notice said make sure you have it where you want it because you won't be able to move it for a while. It said nothing about them putting us all back into stock heavy funds. It doesn't seem right. They said you shouldn't have tried to time the market. Last time I tried to time it and parked money market was early 2008. I didn't loose a penny during that crash. This doesn't seem right. It's just numbers on paper to them but to me it's thousands of dollars.

Bb

Don't trust your life's business to some hack. You clearly know enough to manage most of this yourself, and you would have done a better job. No one cares more about you, than you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm starting to think we need an investment forum.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1lesfox, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,361
Posts18,468,985
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.