Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Terryk
So Trump/Kasich looks to be a good bet.

Democrats will get their votes. They do it for a living. The "winning middle" is a myth that doesn't exist in a general election. Nominate another liberal republican and watch what happens.

Hint...the same thing that always happens.

For that matter, even IF history was proven wrong, liberal Republicans in office will result in what?

I dont think a liberal republican will win the independents. I think independents will shun career politicians. Trump won the independent vote in NH by a long shot. Trump did not invest a great deal of money or time in NH, yet the middle voted for him. Independents had a choice in NH of voting democrat or republican, and they went Trump. Trump lost the republican vote to Kasich, because Kasich put 10X the effort. Kasich does not bring anything to the plate except he will carry ohio. I can't say I like Trump, but in my opinion he is the most electable candidate on either side. Trump owned the middle in NH and I think that wins the general election.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paddler
I couldn't hold my nose long enough to vote for Cruz or Trump. Like Lindsey Graham said, shot or poisoned. Kasich is the only adult on the Republican side. I'll be voting for Bernie or Hilary.

No surprise there. Glad I don't know you. Hope to never meet you.
You must be solid bone from ear to ear...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trump owned the middle in NH and I think that wins the general election.

Examples?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by isaac

Trump k
92,820 35.1%

John

Kasich
42,021 15.9%

Ted

Cruz
30,539 11.6%

Jeb

Bush
29,290 11.1%

Marco

Rubio
27,853 10.5%

Chris

Christie
19,880 7.5%

Carly

Fiorina
11,033 4.2%

Thanks, but that's half of a story.

Sanders, Bernie Dem 142,041 60%
Clinton, Hillary Dem 90,678 38%

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Through divine intervention, I have seen the light. Watching the Hildabeast right now after her giant ass kicking. What a friggin freakshow.

I will hold my nose and vote for Cruz, if I must...

I think most guys with a conservative outlook abhor political posturing and tactics. Still, there is no man alive that will obtain the white house without using both to good effect.

Sounds like most of us are effectively on the same page.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I couldn't hold my nose long enough to vote for Cruz or Trump. Like Lindsey Graham said, shot or poisoned. Kasich is the only adult on the Republican side. I'll be voting for Bernie or Hilary.

Short bus riders get to vote just like everyone else!

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 4ager
Who did it work for? McCain? Romney?

They didn't win the middle at all. Romney was kneecapped from the get-go, and McLame ran the worst campaign in modern history.

Exit polls say they did.

Obama had the excitement and momentum behind him with McCain, and also turned out the vote in a big way against Romney. McCain's only excitement on his side of the ticket was Palin. Romney had no excitement behind his campaign at all.

If you don't go with the guy who has the excitement and momentum, then you're backing a candidate that can't get out the vote in large numbers. That is why independents and conservatives didn't show up for the R's in '08 and '12. Not a doctrine issue as much as a momentum issue. With no excitement, the voters stay home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by davet
Originally Posted by 4ager
Who did it work for? McCain? Romney?

They didn't win the middle at all. Romney was kneecapped from the get-go, and McLame ran the worst campaign in modern history.

Exit polls say they did.

Obama had the excitement and momentum behind him with McCain, and also turned out the vote in a big way against Romney. McCain's only excitement on his side of the ticket was Palin. Romney had no excitement behind his campaign at all.

If you don't go with the guy who has the excitement and momentum, then you're backing a candidate that can't get out the vote in large numbers. That is why independents and conservatives didn't show up for the R's in '08 and '12. Not a doctrine issue as much as a momentum issue. With no excitement, the voters stay home.

Independents did. Conservatives didn't. They do that when there are no conservatives representing them on the ballet. It is (almost) inconceivable that Republicans do the same thing repetitively and expect different results.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So 1 million conservatives stayed home in Michigan in 2008? 2 million in NY? 300K in Oregon? 3 million in California? 800K in New Jersey? 120K in ME?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by davet

Sad but true.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So 1 million conservatives stayed home in Michigan in 2008? 2 million in NY? 300K in Oregon? 3 million in California? 800K in New Jersey? 120K in ME?

Liberals have traditionally (it's changing) stayed home in red states, knowing they were going to lose. Conservatives don't do that in blue states?

http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2012/

http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2008/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm shocked that 11k people voted for Fiorina.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Liberals have traditionally (it's changing) stayed home in red states, knowing they were going to lose. Conservatives don't do that in blue states?

http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2012/

http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2008/

I never said Conservatives didn't stay home in blue states, I'm saying there ain't 2 million conservatives in NY or 1 million in MI or 3 million in California etc to even the vote.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am no more confident that our country wants to be saved than you are. Less so, every day.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
When Obama wins by 2 million votes in NY state, I don't know how you overcome that hump. As I've said all along, a conservative Yankee is what we call a liberal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trump owned the middle in NH and I think that wins the general election.

Examples?

Well, you can always type independent vote in NH on the google bar. Here is a quote and one link. Google has more. Kasich outspent Trump 4:1 and won the core republican vote percentage. Trump won independents.
"Exit polls suggest Trump was aided in large part in the state by independents. They showed 36 percent of the state’s influential independents were backing Trump, leading the field among that bloc."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-trump-sanders-seek-first-2016-wins.html

The republicans also got a higher percentage to the poles as compared to democrats.
Anyway I personally look at the results, not my personal view as absolute truth. Seems like the writing is on the wall.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I

============

When one makes a case out of desperation, you throw anything you can out there hoping for the possibility of a connect.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Stupid is as stupid does.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by isaac

============

When one makes a case out of desperation, you throw anything you can out there hoping for the possibility of a connect.

Did it really take you 22 words to say that?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
To Steelhead's point on where R's gain states, Trump can turn that NY vote more to the R side than anybody. Trump is also the only one in the race who could turn out a possible win in New Jersey, of all places, and could probably beat Christie there in his own state. RI is small, but again in the discussion when Trump is involved. Connecticut maybe there too. I could see Trump being strong in Michigan, and he flat walks away with Florida even with a former Governor and sitting Senator in the race. Being able to chip away at Dem stronghold states is a big advantage even if they are little states with smaller EC votes.

When you look at the Electoral College votes, and what states it takes to win, Cruz leaves the R's unable to complete the task.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,896 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,969
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.