Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jetjockey
Bighorn. We bought 5 acres in Keene Ranch. If you lived in Perry Park, I assume you know where that is. Your right, there are some HUGE deer running around there. There's several deer in Keene Ranch that easily push 200. But they will never be killed by a hunter because they aren't stupid, and they aren't leaving Keene Ranch. Hopefully we will be in Castle Rock sometime in April or May.

Some years ago, I arrowed a big 6 point bull, just south of the Keene Ranch, south of Tomah Road. Doubt that could be done today.....

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jj
-
You may see this herd in your neighborhood.
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/k...jb0kI0tUTH-X_KbwuBGHh9nM5b-=w768-h519-no[/img]

This is a 15 acre property in the Franktown area. This herd moves around the region.

As a Colorado resident you would be able to qualify for ranching for Wildlife hunts. For a couple of years you would need to collect points. Undersubscribed and leftover hunts are sporting and if you are DIY public land you usually need to know what you are doing to be successful. With 3 preference points you can draw 3 Forks Ranch, 84% cow success. All their hunts are guided.

http://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/RFWParticipating.aspx

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Ranching/Three-Forks-Ranch-Rules.pdf

Other RFW opportunities are available with even fewer points and slightly lower chance of success.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just tagging this thread so that I can check back in 6 months

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm in the Springs area too. I always will help out where I can.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks guys. Should have both my houses up for sale this week, and as soon as the one I live in sells, we will be heading West! Have I mentioned I'm a giddy school girl with the excitement of getting back out West? Now, if we could only find away to stock the lakes in CO with 20-30lb king salmon, I'd be set!

IC B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

jj:

I'm not much of a fisherman but I've heard that there's a salmon run between Eleven Mile Reservoir and Spinney Mountain Reservoir. They are west of the springs, in South Park. Maybe there are some better fishermen reading this that could give you better info.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No 20-30 lb kings, but 2-3 pound kokanee salmon do make the run between 11-Mile and Spinney mountain reservoir, as KC said.

Good Turkey hunting in Rampart Range and the low country west of Castle Rock.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
C
C
Hey all. I'm in a similar situation. My wife and kids are in the Springs will I'm over here in Baghdad. Good news, though, is that my follow-on post is in Colorado Springs. I've shot deer and elk in Washington state over the decades, but now my goal is to get my three boys into hunting. That means finding a place to shoot some does and maybe a cow elk -- whatever is the lowest hanging fruit. Anything will be a trophy for the kids and food for the family. They are taking the Hunters Ed class in March.

The family lives up the hill from the Edelweiss restaurant -- unfortunately I'm a long way from there but do come home every few months to see them. I'll buy beer/coffee if anyone wants to get together.

To KC -- thank you for you posts!

Fritz Berggren

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let us know when you hit town, Fritz and the first beer/coffee is on me. Thanks for your service.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A friend and I collected points and got a Ranching for Wildlife hunt near Steamboat about 25 years ago. Huge ranch, so we thought we would be OK. Nope, the ranch was cut up like a checkerboard with the other half being public land. The elk knew where to go, and it wasn't on the ranch we could hunt.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by longbarrel
A friend and I collected points and got a Ranching for Wildlife hunt near Steamboat about 25 years ago. Huge ranch, so we thought we would be OK. Nope, the ranch was cut up like a checkerboard with the other half being public land. The elk knew where to go, and it wasn't on the ranch we could hunt.

Sorry to hear that-
The ranches my son and I have hunted are in the Kiowa Creek RFW unit. It is composed of two properties, one just SE of Castle Rock, the other just SE of Elbert. This season, there were approx. 200 head of elk on each property. My son and I hunted the Elbert property, where he got his cow. We had virtually no hunting pressure from other hunters, and guided ourselves. Great hunt.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cybertext
Hey all. I'm in a similar situation. My wife and kids are in the Springs will I'm over here in Baghdad. Good news, though, is that my follow-on post is in Colorado Springs. I've shot deer and elk in Washington state over the decades, but now my goal is to get my three boys into hunting. That means finding a place to shoot some does and maybe a cow elk -- whatever is the lowest hanging fruit. Anything will be a trophy for the kids and food for the family. They are taking the Hunters Ed class in March.

The family lives up the hill from the Edelweiss restaurant -- unfortunately I'm a long way from there but do come home every few months to see them. I'll buy beer/coffee if anyone wants to get together.

To KC -- thank you for you posts!

Fritz Berggren

Fritz, the DOW has an excellent program for youth hunting. It gets you access on quality private ranches and they also do youth waterfowl hunts. I'd recommend contacting them as they really do a nice job. Good luck.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Here's your chance boys. Finally got moved in and the beers on me! If anyone wants to meet up around the Castle Rock area and tell lies, PM me. One thing Ive figured out is The Union has a pretty incredible happy hour.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let me know, be nice to meet you. Be coming over from Elizabeth.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will be out of town for a week. I'll send a PM when I return. Maybe we should arrange a group get together.

KC

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
A few of us around the Springs area. Not long till I'm out of this damn place and back home again. Was able to use the deployed program to get a preference point on every species for $3 each. Not a bad way to spend $21. Used my one deer point to draw the unit I wanted, got a second choice cow tag in the same unit, and going to get an OTC bull tag so I can hunt all three in the same unit, at the same time.

Can't wait... soon. Be home soon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear you don't like it here. Good luck on your move home wherever that is.

To the others, beers in Castle Rock works anytime someone wants to set up a date and time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30338
Sorry to hear you don't like it here. Good luck on your move home wherever that is.

To the others, beers in Castle Rock works anytime someone wants to set up a date and time.

I think he means he doesn't like the middle east and can't wait to come home to CO.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Count me in.PM me when the day is to get together

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
How's Friday the 17th work? Any preference in time?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.