24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You failed to mention a price point, so it's hard to give a specific reccommendation. If money were no object for me, I'd go for that pretty Number 1 pictured above. SS, fast twist, and no magazine length issues. For cheap, RAR. The middle is full of stuff, but the SS Weatherby Vanguard S2 I bought last fall is pretty nice and has a great 2-stage trigger. Less than $650.

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by shaman
Y'all have given me good advice, and I'm definately leaning towards a .223 tack driver project.

So what do you think?

RAR?
Ruger Hawkeye Varmint/Target?
Savage Axis?
Sumtin' else?

My main goal in this project would be starting with a rifle that I won't be able to blame for any inadequacies in accuracy out of the box or after minimal improvement. I'd like to concentrate on the loads and my own wretched shooting form.

I dig the little Ruger RAR Predator 223.. Haven't really worked too much with it, just put some book loads of H4895 under 77 grain Sierra TMK's and Hornady 75 grain HPBT's.. I am sure there is more accuracy to be had but it suits me as it sits..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by beretzs; 02/08/16.

Semper Fi
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
You failed to mention a price point, so it's hard to give a specific reccommendation. If money were no object for me, I'd go for that pretty Number 1 pictured above. SS, fast twist, and no magazine length issues. For cheap, RAR. The middle is full of stuff, but the SS Weatherby Vanguard S2 I bought last fall is pretty nice and has a great 2-stage trigger. Less than $650.

That's a good question. If I could get sub-MOA out of the rifle on a good day, I'd be happy. I'm a hunter that shoots more than the other way around. This would be my first real attempt to get better than hunting-level accuracy.

The RAR Predator looks like a good starting point. However, I'm open to any suggestions. The main thing I'm looking for is a rifle that I won't be able to blame. If there's a problem with the group, I'd like it to be either me or the load.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348

That's a good question. If I could get sub-MOA out of the rifle on a good day, I'd be happy. I'm a hunter that shoots more than the other way around. This would be my first real attempt to get better than hunting-level accuracy.

The RAR Predator looks like a good starting point. However, I'm open to any suggestions. The main thing I'm looking for is a rifle that I won't be able to blame. If there's a problem with the group, I'd like it to be either me or the load.

I can only speak to the RAR Predator I have and it is a great shooting rifle. I even have an idea to put it in a nicer stock since I know it is a good shooting rifle. The groups I put up are probably more my fault they aren't tighter than any problem with the rifle. Hard to find a 8 twist 223 with a 1 piece base for under 400.00 with a workable trigger.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've only fired three groups with factory ammo in my Vanguard, but none of them (two 3-shot and one 5-shot) went over 7/8". That was with Fiocchi Extrema 40gr Vmax. I tried to work up a deer load with Nosler 64gr BSBs, only to discover that I had an early production S2 with a 1-14 twist. The bullets landed point-on, but the smallest groups were about
1 1/2" or so. No biggie, and my fault for lack of due diligence.

Newer ones are 1-9, good enough for up to 65gr or so.

The rifle has no issues with fit or function, apparently not the case for a lot of rifles these days.

Some (Boxer/Stick?) have said that some of the RARs have long 5.56 chambers, but short magazines that can give trouble accuracy-wise. Not sure about the details, but it's something to look into before you buy. Research is half the fun.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/09/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Fast twist .223's?

[Linked Image]

But I also think you need....

[Linked Image]

grin

For as much as you probably paid for that Sharps, you'd think they coulda found you some nice wood without all those ugly streaks!😛

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
9.3x62
375 H&H
8x68 Shuler

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tedthorn
9.3x62
375 H&H
8x68 Shuler

For whitetail? Yikes.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member

Shaman - Another vote for the RAR Predator....got one last year, and it's easily a 1/2" rifle all day long. I've been working on reduced loads to mimic a 22 WMR, and while that's fun, I also worked up some fast 40gr. loads (3600FPS+).... and I never have a brass shortage either!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
9.3x62
375 H&H
8x68 Shuler

Can't get 8x68 Shuler here. Old guys line up at Walmart every Thursday morning and scarf it all up.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I put money down on Ruger American Predator in .223 Rem yesterday. It'll be in by the weekend. I had nearly overcome my urges, but getting that lung infection two weeks ago removed all my remaining willpower, and I found myself floating into the gunshop as if being moved by unseen forces. It didn't help any that I was out with my buddy, Bob, who seems to collect firearms faster than I acquire Chapsticks.

It also did not help any that I was down in the shamanic reloading cave yesterday morning, doing my end-of-winter tidying, and found some 75 grain Horndays that have been sitting on they shelf, mocking me for 15 years. Somebody at shooters.com had suggested they'd work great out of a Mini-14. So much for asking for advice on the Internet, huh? They did make perfect keyholes in the paper.

I just wanted to say thanks to y'all for helping me through this.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It seems to me that a 35 caliber selection - one a year. Start with a 357 mag, then a 35 Remington in a 141, and a Marlin 336, a 358 BLR next, a 35 Whelen (bolt this time) or 350 Rem Mag after that. Finally get a 358 Mag. This could also be a 375 Ruger necked down

For molds start with a 358 in a Keith Style - about 160 grain, then buy a new mold to go with each rifle.

Then after getting one of each, fill in the gaps with a second 357. This time get a single action or a double action depending on what you bought the first time. Then make sure you have bolt and pump actions in the rifle calibers. In the case of the biggest cartridges you'll need to substitute a single shot in place of the pump actions. Finally look at a SMLE bored out to a 35-303. A 35 Winchester would be nice. And did I mention a 357 lever action?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm way ahead of you Bugger. I started casting bullets a couple of years ago, and started off by focusing on 35 caliber. I had more than six firearms already that used .358 bullets and I could handle them with 2 molds:

35 Whelen Remington 7600
.357 Mag Marlin 1894 Lever
and a bunch of 357 Mag handguns.

You could not be more right!

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I finally got a picture of the new Hawkeye Predator with the scope mounted. It's a 6-24X40MM Bushnell.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.