Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Angus1895
The most accurate 99 I own is a f. Serial number 900000 series. How can you be so sure the scope ain't suffering holding a zero?

It's happened on 2 different scopes. Not impossible they both had problems, but with the 2nd being a modern Leupold I doubt it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought if it wasn't a night force tactical 6x75 x 50 you needed to throw em away! Seriously Leopold will check scopes for free. When I buy used ones I have em sent there first ,then to me, I honestly can say most were in need of erector care or replacement. I also have been on that learning curve about mounts getting loose.

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/10/16.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But seeing as the weapon will zero and hold a zero short term.....likely temperature change warpage kind of deal. However I have noticed the zero will change especially with the leupold single erector system scopes. I also have seen temperature change make a mess out of a zero.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And y'all wonder why I'm an iron sight guy.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Funny you should mention scopes but thats always my first suspect when something don't seem right. Either the scope, mounts, or ME mounting it

I got a good deal on a used M8 4X. The scope did not have a scratch on it and the optics looked good and since the deal was good I decided to send it back to leupold for a reticle change for $65.

It had a tapered crosswire originally and I thought that a #4 would show up better in the woods.

About a week after I mailed it in I am at a football game and get a call from leupold. I had a hard time hearing the lady because of the crowd noise. She said something like there was water in the scope and I figured she meant the scope was no longer waterproof.

To my surprise she said they were going to send me a brand new FXII 4X33 with the reticle change included! Thats pretty sweet service considering it was a 1960s built scope and me not the original owner!

Anyways I mounted the new scope on an old Marlin 336 (originally intended to mount the M8) and couldn't hardly stay within 20 inches at 100 yards.

I thought of returning it but decided to mount it on a different rifle and it worked perfectly on that rifle.... So I discovered I mounted it too tight on the Marlin with the rings clamping on some internals.... Just doing it right on the other rifle fixed the scope! So now it's back on the Marlin.

To make a longer story short I know it ain't the scope. Thanks for the advice.

"an armed society is a polite society"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah. I am starting to love them iron sights! I got a 300 e from loggah. It has a custom front blade. I got a marbles peep that nestles underneath the scope like a John mules nose under a mares whatzit. Did a double tap one inch left of the pink cross....on the tape! *(100 yards ) The scope quick releases....10 power minox za 5. I can't believe how much I wiggle! The peep and blade had me felling rock solid! Sent fireball a photo of the rig.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The older leupolds have a dimple in the tube near the end where the bullet flies out. Don't clamp over the dimple. Most trouble I have is getting them to settle in. Once the rig been pounder a while the erector system settles into where true center is and she will hold that. I do not think there is anything more sound of decision in the USA than to use leupolds as your scope or hunting optic provider. I WUV THEM!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 8 invisible), 1,569 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.