Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had to post this. I was watching a National Geographic channel the other night on England preparing for the German invasion that never came.

An instructor was showing two women with the Home Guard how to load the rotory magazine of a Savage 99. I was dumbfounded, did not expect to see a Savage 99 rifle defending the shores of England. Likely a "Lend Lease"
Model 99. I wonder if we got it back after the war?? Likely one of you guys have the rifle with "British Proof Marks" stamped on the barrel.

Doc

Last edited by doctor_Encore; 02/10/16.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
There were a number of small arms that were voluntarily sent from our country (largely through the efforts of the NRA) to England during that time of the war to help mitigate the losses they suffered in small arms at Dunkirk. The 99s you mention were probably part of that effort and we're not produced as Lend Lease items. On the other hand all of the surplus Enfields (SMLE) that are stamped US Property on their receivers were specifically made under the Lend Lease program by Savage for England; which reminds me that I need to find one nice example for my Savage collection.

Last edited by S99VG; 02/10/16.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Probably ended up on the ocean floor afterwards, sadly. If you happen to remember the name of the show, post it up please.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember hearing that they rounded up all those guns and dumped them in the ocean.

Can't trust civilians with guns you know...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rory types faster than I do....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by S99VG
The 99s you mention were probably part of that effort and were not produced as Lend Lease items.

Correctomundo.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe instead of complaining about what England did with all those donated weapons we ought to be celebrating the American spirit, ingenuity and generosity that was behind it in the first place! I'm sure I just pissed some folks off with that downer but some stories do have a positive side, like winning WWII. Sheesh...

Last edited by S99VG; 02/10/16.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a couple of Savage rifles, a 1920 and a 45, that came from Australia. IIRC, they are stamped "Not British Made" and British proof marks on the left side of both the receiver and the barrel. I don't know if they were shipped directly to Australia or if they went to the UK as donated guns for the home guard, then went to Australia, and from Australia to Nebraska.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All manufactured America guns between certain dates were marked Not British made something to do with importing exporting
The series on TV first aired out here about 3 years ago
I tried to re watch it on the computer but it was the one part of the series that had a copy write dispute on it, as I had hoped to post it here
One thing I think I recall is that while showing the women how to load he was holding a 303 British round
But will stand corrected on that point

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If they were civilian guns sent to England, they were part of this program:

Help for the beleaguered nation came from both the American government and from the American people, the latter through the "American Committee for Defense of British Homes." In late 1940, the committee sent an urgent appeal -- which, of course, appeared in American Rifleman -- for Americans to send "Pistols - Rifles - Revolvers - Shotguns - Binoculars" because "British civilians, faced with the threat of invasion, desperately need arms for the defense of their homes." Thousands of arms were collected and sent to England, one of which was a .30-'06 Model 1903 target rifle owned by Major John W. Hession. Hession was one of the pre-eminent highpower rifle target shooters of his day, and he used that rifle to win Olympic gold at Bisley Camp in England in 1908. The rifle, unlike the majority sent, was returned and can now be viewed int he national Firearms Museum.

The "American Committee for the Defense of British Homes"

If it was one of these arms it would just letter to the original buyer, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have a couple of Savage rifles, a 1920 and a 45, that came from Australia. IIRC, they are stamped "Not British Made" and British proof marks on the left side of both the receiver and the barrel. I don't know if they were shipped directly to Australia or if they went to the UK as donated guns for the home guard, then went to Australia, and from Australia to Nebraska.

I have one lettered, that also shipped directly to Austrailia, and spent it's whole life there till it made it's way back to New England.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Some of the above mentioned arms were returned, as noted by the return of Major Hession's 03 target rifle, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There is a picture in the November American Rifleman, on page 24 if I remember correctly, that showed British home guard posing wth donated American rifles. At least one was a 99.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 57 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.