Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PrimeBeef
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by whitedogone
Nothing on howa site about lh....except they don't do lh actions.
Yep. I was quite disappointed to not see anything in their catalog either.

One of the FAQ's on Weatherby's web site addresses LH action Vanguards. The answer is "NO". Prohibitive tooling costs.

Seems like they've cut down on the selection of LH Mark V rifles, as well.
On another forum a poster there works for Legacy International. He stated right now there are no relatively soon plans for a LH option...

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by ejo
It looks like other than possibly a synthetic Cooper, we are out of luck for 2016. Hopefully Cooper makes their new ultra light in lefty. Although, I expect it will be costly to own.

I'm getting tired of waiting for a 6 pound lefty and sick of spending 3k on custom builds that never seem to turn out the way I want.

Maybe it is time to go back to buying Browning rifles and call it a day.

I spoke with a sales guy at Cooper last week... No lefty synthetics in the short term future.

They don't currently manufacture their own synthetic stocks. Further, their supplier does not offer the stocks they use in synthetic. He said they intend to bring synthetics in house and AFTER that was complete, they would likely roll out lefty variants. I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by Big_Red; 02/05/16.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thanks for the update. Glad I followed my gut feeling on my plan for a rifle build. Or I would have had a deposit on a lefty Cooper for who knows how long. Guess I could have gone with a laminate through them, but I'm fine with the direction I took it, while saving probably $1000.

In December I got emails from Cooper stating that they should have the lefty synthetics up by spring/summer. I thought that was a bit optimistic. Looks like they are again shoving the blame to their suppliers for not making the stocks. But, in reality, their suppliers make what is ordered, and Cooper has not put the initial order in for left hand stocks. I went around and around with both companies on that earlier last year, and finally got down to the bottom of it. Being- There is a significant initial investment to make the stocks in LH versions. Cooper didn't feel that the demand was enough to justify it, is what it boiled down to.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The guy told me the supplier wanted Cooper to pony up $8,000 or so for the lefty mold... and for very few lefty rifles they produce the economics just don't work.

I understand... it's business. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the update guys. Typical position for rifle companies, maybe its just smart business on their part. At least we have many options when it comes to custom actions and aftermarket stocks. It is just nice to hold a rifle before purchase and not have to spend 3k plus guessing if it will balance and feel nice.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I never did explore the idea of McMillan making one. Not sure if they can or if any of theirs are compatible. Any supplier that Cooper uses (HS and Bell&Carlson) has a contract deal that they cannot build stocks for a Cooper unless ordered by Cooper.

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Blaser R8 offers 40 calibers in left hand models...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great info, Big Red, kudos for your posting here. Appreciated...

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I "tookin" a LH Zastava that I bought, am having it rebarreled in 6.5x55. Started out as a plan for a 35 Whelen, or 9.3x62 but now travel to Africa with a firearm and returing without Gov't intervention is very risky apparently. Always wanted the Swedish, so that's the way it goes. I am going to restock it when the work is complete, or do something to lighten the heavy existing wood stock. There is a laminate available for it now anyway so that might be the route but still considering what might be done with a synthetic.

Anyway, while I was at the gunshop, found Mel Doyle is going to retire(Plummer ID). He had a RH Mauser that was pretty nice, 30-06 so I bought it.

Can't see much on spending 2-3 grand or more for a hunting rifle that I will bang around with. Makes no sense to me and having a safe full of queens is not my bag either--it would be a wasted thing for me if I didn't hunt with it. That said, I am thinking of a 7x57 from MRC would be the next thing I would like to do soon or change a ruger into one. David(Avery, ID)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mel Doyle is my smith-30 minutes away....I'll be calling him to get the 'retirement' details.

I have work for him...

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Not all suggestions to rifle companies falls on deaf ears. I've sent some suggestions out and Browning was one company that came through. I asked them to produce a LH with a cheek rise. Out came the Browning X-bolt White Gold. I had hoped they were going to make the hunter version. which would have been less expensive. But they came out with a top of the line model. I have corresponded with other companies and ignore the ones that refuse to produce LH rifles.Roughly 15% are left handed and up o 40% are left eye dominant.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Any of you guys heard anything about when Bergara is coming out with left hand models? Their website says under FAQ that they plan to in the future. I sent them an email a couple of weeks ago but no reply.
Paul

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Davidson's is showing a RAR in stainless compact 223 with an 18" barrel. I don't think those were available last year.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I'd like to see the RAR in the Predator model be offered as a lefty.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Fyi, Davidson's is now showing the Ruger American compact all-weather in left hand in .223, for those who might be interested.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

At those prices, they certainly should smirk

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

By the time a guy finishes "fixing" his 700, he's likely spent 80% the price of a Blaser and still only has 1 rifle.
The R8S (non-removable fire control system) is $2,899 MSRP. That gives you access to all calibers up to and including the 375. A standard R8 adds the big calibers up to 500 Jeffrey.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

By the time a guy finishes "fixing" his 700, he's likely spent 80% the price of a Blaser and still only has 1 rifle.
The R8S (non-removable fire control system) is $2,899 MSRP. That gives you access to all calibers up to and including the 375. A standard R8 adds the big calibers up to 500 Jeffrey.

That's certainly a valid concept. Extra Blaser barrels are ~$1k+, so for $4,000, you would have two rifles in one. Personally, I'd rather have a couple of Sako 85's or Weatherby MkV's for the same money.

O
OSU_Sig Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
And that's why there are so many different brands...we don't all approach decisions in the same manner.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,804
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.