Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
chaska Offline OP
OP Offline
C
On a recent aoudad sheep hunt out of Alpine TX I used Bar B Diamond Outfitters, owned by Brandt Buchanon. Things did not go well. On the evening of the first day the game warden stopped by. It turns out that Brandt did not have authority for us to hunt the land we signed the waiver for so he took us to a different ranch. We needed to sign the waiver for the land we were hunting. When the wardens left they took Brandt with them since there was a bench warrant for his arrest. This left us in the hands of his fellow guide which had never been to this ranch before. Fortunately, the ranch owner made his ranch hand available to show us around. We ended up with a self guided hunt and had to do all our own meal prep and housekeeping. On top of that, Brandt overcharged us for the final payment. When I connected with him after the hunt and asked about a partial refund given the circumstances he said he had already spent the money and was unable to repay anything.

If you are considering an aoudad sheep hunt in that part of the country I suggest you look carefully at who your guide is.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Last edited by huntsonora; 05/18/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take the jerk to court!

Last edited by 1tnhunter; 05/19/14.
C
chaska Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I know I could go to court and win, but that is not the same as collecting, and when you live in Minnesota it would cost more to go to court than I would win, and I still wouldn't have anything in my pocket.

Most guides out there are solid and reputable and it is too bad that things like this happen. It makes it hard for everyone, but it is time for me to move on and start planning the next hunt.

I wish I would have seen the review of Bar B Diamond huntsonora referred to before I booked my trip. That is why I posted my experience, so hopefully someone else doesn't get burned.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chaska
I know I could go to court and win, but that is not the same as collecting, and when you live in Minnesota it would cost more to go to court than I would win, and I still wouldn't have anything in my pocket.

Most guides out there are solid and reputable and it is too bad that things like this happen. It makes it hard for everyone, but it is time for me to move on and start planning the next hunt.

I wish I would have seen the review of Bar B Diamond huntsonora referred to before I booked my trip. That is why I posted my experience, so hopefully someone else doesn't get burned.

I hate you got burned. Happened to a buddy on a turkey hunt in Nebraska just this past weekend. The "outfitter" never even showed

Problem with suing them, as you say, is that you'll get nothing from them. Its tragic

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Did you check references for this guy? Nothings foolproof but it's worked pretty well for me.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
C
chaska Offline OP
OP Offline
C

Time was short but I did Google the guy and I came across him posting on another hunting forum. I don't put much stock in referrals provided by the guide since he knows they will say great things. Next time I won't pay full market price unless I can find a guide with an established reputation before I send the deposit.

To make matters worse, the friend I hunted with went on an elk trip last fall. The guide assured him it would be secluded hunting and at least a few potential book rated bulls. He saw no bulls except the ones all the other hunters on the same range had shot, and none of them were Boone and Crocket qualifiers by a long shot.

Hey, maybe it's my buddy. He jinxed the whole trip.

In the end, we did actually have a good time but we had to work for it and did not get what I paid for. If you have never hunted aoudad, they are a lot of fun but be prepared to put some miles on in very rugged terrain.

I had a large ram in my scope on day one but decided not to pull the trigger. I also had a few chances at other smaller sheep so I went home empty handed because of my choice, not do to a lack of shooters.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The bad news:
-supposed to be 1 on 1, but turned into 2 on 1 with a stranger.
-meals were to be included, no food.
-drank whiskey from sunrise until bed time, he didn't eat. Never seemed drunk.
-skinned the Aoudad too short, but taxidermist worked with it and turned out fine. Taxidermist said he gave Brandt a caping lesson for the future.
-got animal on next to last day, he had promised to babysit his child on what was to be my last day.

Good news:
- the stranger was a good guy from Mexico.
-Brandt really worked hard and knew what he was doing.
-I got a very good animal. 31.5 on one side and 29.75 (broken tip) on the other.
-he really knew the ranch we were hunting, said it belonged to his stepfather.

I got a great animal, did some hard hunting and was probably lucky.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just another loser f*cking folks outta cash. Thanks for the warning on Brandt Buchanan.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by chaska

Time was short but I did Google the guy and I came across him posting on another hunting forum. I don't put much stock in referrals provided by the guide since he knows they will say great things.

I have to disagree with this. If the outfitter sends you a list with 6 guys on it, that's a tip-off right there. And maybe it depends on what you ask for. I usually ask for a list that includes hunters that scored and those that didn't. If you speak to hunters that didn't score and they praise the outfit that's worth something. If you do enough research you'll get a better feel for whether it's a BS operation or not.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B3

C
chaska Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I readily agree that I should have done better research before I booked the trip, however, the point of my post was to help inform other potential hunters of my experience so they might not have the same thing happen to them.

Had I seen the post that was noted in an earlier response, or a post like my original I would have passed on this guy.

In my opinion unsolicited references tend to be a better indicator then just the responses of happy customers.

Mr. Buchanon is not without his qualities, which have been mentioned earlier. But as a guide for top dollar, that's another matter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Specializing in Free Range hunts in far west Texas for Native & Exotic Game. Hunts for All budgets with Financing available.

www.westtexashunt.com

Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/WestTexasHuntOrganization/
Its guys like the initial poster that made me quit outfittings for good in fact this guy was my last straw. In my career I've had a 98% success rate on big rams on over 200 hunts. I still guide but I don't charge and I and I only hunt with the clients that have been with me year after year that are real hunters and love hunting as much as I do. You'll notice the original poster claims to have gotten a "self-guided hunt" then tells you about his 2 guides, housekeeping? Negative, if the helped with the dishes after dinner it was because the volunteered, they arrived to a clean lodge, clean linens and the lodge is cleaned by ranch staff following departure. He also claims to have opportunities at big rams. What was he hoping would happen?

My stepfather had me deposit his money before anyone stepped foot on the ranch then had his secretary send an email the first afternoon we were hunting. The email requested I leave my clients at the gate with his employee and not to step foot on his property (knowing we were already hunting) When we arrived at the lodge that evening and as the email synced up the game wardens also pulled up because my stepfather called them! Mind you I spent $20k a year with my stepfather and started his entire hunting enterprise at age 12 which grossed several million dollars and doubled his land holdings before he could run it into the group after my mother left him.

The arrest? It was for because a judge hadn't yet filed the oaoerworj to dismiss a charge "possession of a dangerous drug", the drug? The adderol I've had a prescription for for 10 years, just so happens I was pulled over and had a few pills in my pack instead of the prescription bottle.

As far as the Claims made by Mr. Paul Best, in reference to his hunt... Guess who sprung that extra hunter on me at the last min? Yep good ole stepdad, john p boerschig!!! Note: that hunter was not my client and never paid me a dime, I picked up steodads slack no questions asked and you can see how he repaid me a year later.... I DID NOT DRINK WHISKEY all day nor have I ever!
Mr. Best, I want to know that I went to work for that taxidermist and U NOUNTED Your Aoudad...... How did it turn out?
One more thing about that hunt, luck had nothing to do with it...

I work relentlessly to help and have helped countless landowners conserve their natural resources in a responsible manner. All those articles you've read about aoudad conservation and the petitions to stop the aoudad eradications by the state....check the author.... Me! It is hard however being the only one actively fighting for real responsible conservation when this post shows up on the first page when someone Google's my name and acts as a permenant scar on your reputation because a few whiney Yanks. Would love for this post to be gone for good as its haunted me for years but an exolination will have to do for now.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Replying to the above and the earlier post under the username "Camdog".

I took a wonderful Aoudad on the hunt. The mount is beautiful and am very pleased with it. With that said, if my heart was set on a mount with the forelegs on a rock I would have been disappointed as the taxidermist said the caping didn't leave him enough to work with.

Brandt has the ability to locate game, not an issue.

In other respects, I stand by my earlier post.

PB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aoudadhunter
Its guys like the initial poster that made me quit outfittings for good in fact this guy was my last straw. In my career I've had a 98% success rate on big rams on over 200 hunts. I still guide but I don't charge and I and I only hunt with the clients that have been with me year after year that are real hunters and love hunting as much as I do. You'll notice the original poster claims to have gotten a "self-guided hunt" then tells you about his 2 guides, housekeeping? Negative, if the helped with the dishes after dinner it was because the volunteered, they arrived to a clean lodge, clean linens and the lodge is cleaned by ranch staff following departure. He also claims to have opportunities at big rams. What was he hoping would happen?

My stepfather had me deposit his money before anyone stepped foot on the ranch then had his secretary send an email the first afternoon we were hunting. The email requested I leave my clients at the gate with his employee and not to step foot on his property (knowing we were already hunting) When we arrived at the lodge that evening and as the email synced up the game wardens also pulled up because my stepfather called them! Mind you I spent $20k a year with my stepfather and started his entire hunting enterprise at age 12 which grossed several million dollars and doubled his land holdings before he could run it into the group after my mother left him.

The arrest? It was for because a judge hadn't yet filed the oaoerworj to dismiss a charge "possession of a dangerous drug", the drug? The adderol I've had a prescription for for 10 years, just so happens I was pulled over and had a few pills in my pack instead of the prescription bottle.

As far as the Claims made by Mr. Paul Best, in reference to his hunt... Guess who sprung that extra hunter on me at the last min? Yep good ole stepdad, john p boerschig!!! Note: that hunter was not my client and never paid me a dime, I picked up steodads slack no questions asked and you can see how he repaid me a year later.... I DID NOT DRINK WHISKEY all day nor have I ever!
Mr. Best, I want to know that I went to work for that taxidermist and U NOUNTED Your Aoudad...... How did it turn out?

I work relentlessly to help and have helped countless landowners conserve their natural resources in a responsible manner. All those articles you've read about aoudad conservation and the petitions to stop the aoudad eradications by the state....check the author.... Me! It is hard however being the only one actively fighting for real responsible conservation when this post shows up on the first page when someone Google's my name and acts as a permenant scar on your reputation because a few whiney Yanks. Would love for this post to be gone for good as its haunted me for years but an exolination will have to do for now.

This is a sobering reminder to all kids to stay in school.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It is hard however being the only one actively fighting for real responsible conservation when this post shows up on the first page when someone Google's my name and acts as a permenant scar on your reputation.......

Especially with the links to other forums where they said even worse. Bummer.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Awesome....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by camdog
Replying to the above and the earlier post under the username "Camdog".

I took a wonderful Aoudad on the hunt. The mount is beautiful and am very pleased with it. With that said, if my heart was set on a mount with the forelegs on a rock I would have been disappointed as the taxidermist said the caping didn't leave him enough to work with.

Brandt has the ability to locate game, not an issue.

In other respects, I stand by my earlier post.

PB

If that post did set off a bunch of alarms I do t know what would

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by huntsonora

This^^^^^
LMAO

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wow. It takes a lot of time for most folks to save up the kind of coin it takes to go on these hunts. Guys like this are the reason research is important...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

291 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 16penny, 204guy, 1minute, 38 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,171
Posts18,465,362
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.