D
1 pin gets it done for me

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Curious if anyone is using a single pin/reticle for crossbow?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't have one but all the guys I know that have crossbows use scopes with lines. I have helped a few set up and most can shoot to 70 yards with the bottom line in their scope.

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Single pin MBG for me

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use one. Big improvement.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MGunns
Curious if anyone is using a single pin/reticle for crossbow?

I am using a Zeiss 2-8 scope with a #6 reticle. I just figured out what power setting I needed to have so that the top of the post gave me 50 yards.

After comparing everything I could get my hands on for crossbow scopes under low light conditions I decided they're all junk compared to a decent rifle scope. I was shooting this year under heavy canopy of red oaks and lots of leaves on the ground and facing into the sunset. Bambi usually showed up at about 1/2 hour past sunset give or take a little and crossbow scopes wouldn't give me that. The Zeiss is kinda pricey, but it's also a much more precise solution that solves low light and bad conditions spectacularly. I shot two putting in just above the brisket, through the heart and out through the umbilicus. One I put it in a little higher on the neck, cut bone all the way down the neck and stopped in the top of the heart. The fourth I waited for a month to get one dead perfect broadside and put it through just above the heart taking out the great vessels and both lungs.

It'd take a lot of show me to make me try another scope now.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
umbilicus hmm I didn't even know deer had one of them

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
umbilicus hmm I didn't even know deer had one of them

That comes with being born into a lot of vertebrate species, not just placental mammals.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have tried them but have always came back to 3 pins. I set a 25, 40 and 50. Makes for a very simple hunting setup - anything close put the 25 on an whack him. (With a bow shooting 280fps or so the 25 yd pin will be in the white of a nfaa target from 5-30 yards or plus/minus about 2") Anything not close I usually have time to range and use the proper pin. If the animal is coming in I can just move through the pins at full draw and shoot - not adjusting, letting down, resetting, movement etc. What I don't like is that it is not as exact as having a pin right on the yardage for 3D or target shooting. I have considered a moving 3 pin but always thought is was just too much stuff to go wrong when compared to a simple pin sight. I need to try one again and give it a few months too see if I can get with it or not. Darn things cost more than a nice rifle scope so it becomes a pretty expensive experiment.

Last edited by centershot; 02/16/16.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive been using the single pin sights now for the majority of my hunting career. There was a time with slower bows and aluminum arrows that the gap between the pins was big enough to use the multipin sights. With bows now shooting 300fps as a nearly normal situation the pins are so close it blocks the view of the target for me. The sight picture is very cluttered and disruptive.

I have used a few different single pin sights. The one I liked best in operation theory was not structurally functional as a hunting sight. It had one fixed pin I set at 20 yards and the the other was a dial adjustable pin that was set at any distance you needed. This is without a doubt the best arrangement I have ever used.

It was easy to see the setting of the second pin by the gap between it and the fixed pin. I wish spot hogg would make this design because they make really bullet proof equipment.

There are others that make fixed pins, which when adjusted move the whole rack of pins. Clever, but still with mistake risks by having the whole rack of pins adjusted down and not realizing it.

The Single fixed 20 yard pin works perfectly from 15-25 which at least for me is 90% of the shooting I do. Yet the adjustable pin can be set to 30-50-70 yards or anything in between in two seconds. When in a Tree stand the fixed pin at 20 ( 15-25 yards) is the foundation of the Bow, and the adjustable set for 30 gets you 25-35 yards. That's about 99% of the tree stand shots we take.

Too bad there is no tank like sight made with this design. It's clearly the design all of us are after!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That would be a sight I would be seriously interested in. A fixed for quick shots at close range and a single mover for longer ranges when you have time to range and adjust. Could be a very simple sight, easily adjustable (your 5 yard clicks would be nice) - I like it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trophy Taker Option sights. Best of both worlds. We are a dealer for them. Rather pricey but definitely a quality sight

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since writing this post I have been piled up with PM's and spoken to a whole bunch of guys that have all said the same thing...... The common feeling "this is so obvious" why are there none of these sights made?

The more I think about this, it's true, We all want our basic dead nuts fixed 20 or 25 yard pin

After that an adjustable pin to get us from 25 to the limit of the bow is the solution to all our aiming challenges. G5 makes this exact sight, but it's horrible flimsy construction that does not even come close to my idea of a hunting sight. HHA or spot hogg construction with this design it the ticket!

The Key is bullet proof durability. I would like a sight light option, and pin size choices too.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The G5 is close, but they over complicated (and over priced) it. KISS this should not be difficult, one fixed pin and a moving pin on a threaded rod with a knob on the bottom. It only needs to move about 3/4"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The biggest problem with the G5 is the poor construction, all the exposed barely held in place fiber optic lines on the back of the sight. All those are just begging to get hung up in the field. The poor metal is so easily stripped when tightening the hardware, and the overall feel of the product is just " cheap"

The Trophy taker is close to properly done. However they use the hinged sight ring to select between the two, way too complicated, and even if it were simpler, the adjustable pin should be the one that swings out, not the fixed pins. You default to the standard 20-25 yard fixed pin and then use the adjustable for the longer more complicated shots. They built this exactly backwards!

When stalking I want my go to pin at the ready at all times. This is the 20-25 yard pin. The other one that adjusts can be put into play only as needed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had every manufacturer I have addressed this with say exactly the same thing and they all miss the point!

All of them have said you set the top position to the 20-25 yard distance and then it's a fixed 25 yard setting, only if you need to shoot further then adjust it down.

That in theory works perfectly and is logical....... Except for the reality of the situation while hunting! You will inevitably adjust this sight to another distance at some point. If you don't have the deliberate discipline to set it back to the top, then you're screwed on your next 20 yard shot when it's set to the 35 yard distance you had previously shot at.

It's why one needs to be dead set at the most common preferred range, and the other is adjustable. One you can shoot without any thought, the other you will set properly because you know it's the moveable pin. You will also notice the pin gap to see pretty quick it's way of,f if that is the case.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fixed 20-25, movable pin for everything else. Just put it on a simple mechanism like a micro adjustable sight, reach around on top or bottom and give it a turn to the desired distance. Maybe they would have a hard time selling $300 sights with something like this around.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I always liked a fixed 3-pin sight set at 20-30-40 yards on my Mathews MQ1. Two years ago I bought a new bow that is faster than my old bow. I put a G5 Optix XR with 3 fixed pins and a floater. I set theses pins at 30-40-50-60. That sight left alot to be desired as far as brightness. I bought a HHA DS5519 this year. Since I can shoot zero to 30 yards, I usually leave the HHA set on 30 yards. Most of my hunting shots are 30 yards and in anyway. This is my first year with a single pin and I think I'm gonna like it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Another vote for HHA.
I used a Viper 340 front though (yanked all pins but one).
Gave me one horizontal pin (no like vertical pin it came with).
No level either- yanked that.
Ran it on my Hoyt and Mathews.
Left it at 25 yds, slightly snug.
If I had time before the shot I could bump it to the exact yardage, if not just hold high as needed.
Worked great.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/22/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, I have been digging into this sight issue and have finally found a guy that will talk with common sense and experience!

The Fella at Trophy Taker is the first and only guy that clearly gets the need for a single fixed pin and an adjustable pin. He was on board almost instantly which for the first time made me think there is hope that we can get the proper sight in out hands some day!

In the interim, they make a very interesting sight that has two sight windows that hinge and allow a set of three fixed, or swing out of the way and get one adjustable. When I was speaking with him he told me it would be easy to remove two of the three pins and leave the windows both closed to have the exact setup we are looking for. One fixed at 20 and the other adjustable to whatever you can get with your bow setup

They can also set up the sight for two different size pins. It's still a bit more complicated then we need with the folding window setup, but the option exists and the company does really get the theory of operation! I'm guessing that this will eventually be something they offer with a simple less expensive to manufacture sight ring housing.

I may get one to fool with here, I'll run it through the paces and let you know what I think.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.