Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Replacing front sight and using a free-floating forearm on my Colt 6920 Carbine. What gas block do you guys like for this application?

Buy once, cry once.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had SLR and Syrac, the two best. Both work well, flip a coin. SLR has top notch customer service, never delt with Syrac.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I run SLR and love them.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
SLR

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Syrac. Never used an SLR, what's that funky lever on the side?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a leaf spring, not a lever.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have two SLR's and like them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have only ever used SLR's when the gun really needed it. Is your rifle really overgassed? Where do the fired brass eject to? Most low to mid end AR's are to some extent overgassed to ensure function with all factory ammo.

True the extra gas in theory is harder on the gun but most folks will never shoot it enough to wear the parts out anyways. The adjustable gas block really comes into its own for guys who want to tune the gun to specific loads, guys who shoot suppressed or guys shooting competitions where speed from shot to shot matters as the overgassing causes the muzzle to dive down off target.

Its up to the end user but unless my rifle was really overgassed, had ejection issues or i was planning to shoot it suppressed with subsonics then any reasonable low profile fixed gas block would likely work just fine for 95% of users.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I have only ever used SLR's when the gun really needed it. Is your rifle really overgassed? Where do the fired brass eject to? Most low to mid end AR's are to some extent overgassed to ensure function with all factory ammo.

True the extra gas in theory is harder on the gun but most folks will never shoot it enough to wear the parts out anyways. The adjustable gas block really comes into its own for guys who want to tune the gun to specific loads, guys who shoot suppressed or guys shooting competitions where speed from shot to shot matters as the overgassing causes the muzzle to dive down off target.

Its up to the end user but unless my rifle was really overgassed, had ejection issues or i was planning to shoot it suppressed with subsonics then any reasonable low profile fixed gas block would likely work just fine for 95% of users.

Good to know. Thank you. I just thought if I was changing the gas block anyway, might make sense to make it adjustable.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't put one on a 223/5.56 unless it really needed one. Changing buffer weights has always worked for me with the AR-15 in .223/5.56. From what I have experienced and what seems to be the case for many people, adjustable gas blocks are best used on non standard calibers, so the gas system can be tuned or tamed. Not all cartridges work well with the .223 gas system. However, rather than make them right from the get go, manufacturers decided to let the end user retro fit a adjustable gas block rather than properly gas the barrel in the first place.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
An adjustable gas block makes a smoother shooting Gun. IMO

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Since it's been stated that an adjustable gas block is not always needed, save your money and just cut down the original FSB. You'll end up with a pinned low profile gas block that costs you nothing but a little time and will never come loose.

I've never used or needed an adjustable gas block and think they are simply a fad that has been passed on by people reading the internet rather than actual shooting experience.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
think they are simply a fad that has been passed on by people reading the internet rather than actual shooting experience.

That may be true for the many people, not all. They do work and do solve issues that some manufacturers refuse to address.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Refusing to listen to good advice and buying over gassed junk doesn't count... wink

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by TWR
I've never used or needed an adjustable gas block and think they are simply a fad that has been passed on by people reading the internet rather than actual shooting experience.

Am I the only one who sees the irony here?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of my 6 AR's only 3 are factory builds, mommas Troy and my 2 Northtechs and all were built right from the factory so none of them have gas issues.

For a blaster or HD gun a little overgas isnt bad as it ensures cycling and most will benefit from a bit heavier buffer. $50ish for a buffer and low profile gas block or $100 for an adjustable, its all user preference.

For an uber accurate or hunting gun the extra bit of smoothness from the adjustable is indeed nice and is what i use for my heavy 20" side charge build but its all high end parts so i took the plunge for adjustable.

My experience overall agrees with Wareagle that for most 5.56's users they aren't needed. Non 5.56, or suppressed they can be beneficial as well as for those users who want to tune their 5.56 to 1 particular load.

If money is any concern and assuming its installed correctly so as to not impede gas flow almost any gas block will work for less money.

That said i would never tell a man what to do with his money and i understand want, just pointing out its likely not a need on a 5.56.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by TWR

I'm with you

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
To me it's just nice to have the option. Kind of like buying a fully loaded Cadillac and don't put power windows on it you don't need them but it sure is nice.

Last edited by deere2320; 02/12/16.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by TWR

No irony just Poorly worded. I've shot at least 2 guns with adjustable blocks, cuzz has 2. I have never used on in a build and the OP won't need one on his 6920.

More later.

Last edited by TWR; 02/12/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought he asked for your favorite gas block? Did I miss something?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.