Print Thread
Hop To
N
nick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Its been too long since I've hunted deer anywhere besides Illinois. I'm thinking of applying for a permit in south east Montana. Montana DNR website is a little confusing to me. Not sure what permit I need and when to apply. Anyone know if I can get maps of public land, or private land that allows access? I was going to try to call DNR but figured someone here may be able to steer me in right direction. I'm an old man and not too computer saavy. Any idea on permit success. I was also thinking maybe NW South Dakota.
Just looking to "get away" for a week or two by myself and wander around in new to me territory.
Thanks for any help.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hey Nick

I'm in the same quest as you are.

I have hunted elk and mule deer in Wyoming and Colorado and find my self in a "point building" year. I have to wait a year or two yet to build points to hunt deer again...

So, in anticipation of a off year. I drove thru SE Montana last fall on my way to Cody Wy. to hunt mule deer. I want to hunt Montana District 7 for deer this fall.

The challenge I want to meet is to find a whitetail worthy of the living room wall. When I drove thru district 7, I saw a bunch of mule deer... and even one shooter cross the road.... but no whitetail.

I do see a whole bunch of public land. However access will be a challenge.

Last year I bought an I-Pad and downloaded Onxmaps. It worked prity good as long as I was under a cell tower... I have to work out the kinks a little bit and may need to go to a satilite gps unit. Maps, Maps and Maps with a gps unit may be your only friend.

One thing I can tell you from my hald harted scouting trip is to start practicing your shooting skills at 300 yards or more...

If you get any good tips on where to look for a decent whitetail... please do share.

It would be nice to share notes with you some time.

mike

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
From my experience a good percentage of the quality whitetail land is down along the river and is private.We do have a little private property that we hunt but have had success on Block Management and other public lands.A GPS with the hunt maps is your friend.Actually we have taken probably 12 deer on the fence of the private and Blm land.
Tags are also easier to draw since they raised the price a few years back.
It is a fun hunt with lots of deer but not many real big racks and a nice 4x4 is a very
reachable.
Bring your flat shooting rifle as shots can be from 25 yards too 500 plus.
Here is a last evening buck.

[Linked Image]
2014 Mule Deer
[Linked Image]

Last edited by MAKAIRA; 02/13/16.
N
nick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I would like to persue a mulie, but if I had a tag in which I could take either, I wouldnt pass on a whitetail. I dont have a gps, never used one, didnt think about that. At this point Im still not sure which permit I need or when application is due. I probably need to call the DNR.
Although I am going there to hopefully have a chance at one, I really am looking forward to just exploring somewhere new. Different terrain and wildlife and habitat. A deer will just be a bonus if Im that lucky.
I certainly dont want to trespass so maybe I should look at a gps. My son and I went pheasant hunting years ago in So Dakota and DNR sent me a book of lands we could hunt on they called them WIA "walk in areas" I believe. So, I was wondering if Montana had something similar.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thank you Makaira.

I was thinking three key pieces of gear are going to be a 3-400 yard rifle, range finder and mapping software on a gps unit.

hey nick,
My current plan is to NOT hunt the first two weeks, instead go the second week of November, arrive on a Sunday and hunt the week days. I'll try to secure permission on a block management property. You can go on the Montana fish and game sight to read up on the rules for how to access. From what I have read, each Block Management area has different rules and contacts.

as far as getting a permit is pretty straight forward, apply for the deer combo for general deer district 7 as far as I can tell..

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
IC B2

N
nick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks for replies. Yeah, that district 7 is what I was thinking, region?? 705??
What I dont know is..do I apply for the drawing coming up in March? or the drawing in June?
I guess I really should put a call in this week.
For me, if I cant get to within 250yds or so, I'll let the critter go. But thats just me.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Montana has block management -the ones I have hunted we just checked in for three days at the ranchers house.Some do take reservations.
The GPS is great because a lot of the land is checkerboard public and private.Some of the public will give the appearance of being private with fences and in the old days maybe a sign.It will open a bunch of land as you drive around- buy a handheld and the GPS chip it will be the best $$$ spent by far.
The tags are good for either Mule deer,whitetail,and I think doe mule deer.
You can also apply for a doe permit.
Some of that country Is tough to get within 300 yards.We sit on stands in locations as they travel into the breaks and have had shots from 25 yards out over 400.
I believe my dad puts in during March.Before they raised the prices of tags it was a every other year draw but now it has been every year.
Montana people are great and it is one of my favorite hunts.

N
nick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Are you able to order a book of maps showing Block Management areas? And within that it gives GPS co-ordinates?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Not sure we use the GPS too find Blm and they also have a couple other types of public property.The chip also gives the landowners name which is helpful for block management that is separate from the main property or another way in.
I believe it might be somewhere on line but not sure.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
264 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.