Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Numbers like this they should rid that area of all wolves for a few years, and forever like it was before would be OK.

20 wolves killed in northern Idaho to boost elk population

BOISE, Idaho (AP) Twenty wolves have been killed in the Clearwater Region in northern Idaho to bolster elk populations in the area, the Idaho Department of Fish and Game says.

The agency in a statement Wednesday said the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services killed the wolves using a helicopter starting last week, and the wolf-control effort has ended.

"Predation impacts to elk calf and cow survival is the primary factor limiting recovery of the Lolo elk population," Fish and Game officials said in the statement.

The agency said elk numbers in the region in the last 25 years have fallen from 16,000 to fewer than 1,000. As a result, the agency has eliminated all rifle cow hunts and reduced by half rifle bull hunting.

The Defenders of Wildlife conservation organization revealed the aerial shooting of wolves last week and decried it as based on anti-wolf politics and not sound science

Suzanne Stone of Defenders of Wildlife said Thursday that large fires in the early 1900s created good habitat for elk that has since grown in over the decades with fire-suppression efforts, causing elk numbers to fall. Killing wolves won't change that situation, she said.

"We feel that this action is misguided and is not going to result in any meaningful change on the ground as long as the habitat in the Lolo is not sufficient to support the elk herd objective set forth by the state," she said.

An Idaho board in charge of killing wolves declined on Monday to tell lawmakers how many wolves it had killed in 2016 or how much it cost. Officials said they didn't want to provide details while the wolf-control program was operating in northern Idaho.

Last year, 19 wolves were killed in the area and 23 were shot in 2014. The Lolo zone had a minimum of 38 wolves, including six documented packs and five other wolf groups at the end of 2014, according to the state's latest wolf population report.

http://kboi2.com/news/local/20-wolves-killed-in-northern-idaho-to-boost-elk-population

Last edited by 700LH; 02/12/16.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
put a bounty on 'em, and let sportsmen shoot them. I'd prefer that to some professional in a 'copter.

Sam......

700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hunters aren't solving this, we can buy five wolf tags each, every year. To much very difficult to access country here, including vast areas (4,792,969 acres) of designated wilderness with none out side walking or horses.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Love the way the "defenders of wildlife" step all over themselves by decrying that it's the fire policy that has caused the issue. It's the preservation folks who have been driving the move against prescribed burns...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
put a bounty on 'em, and let sportsmen shoot them. I'd prefer that to some professional in a 'copter.

If elimination is the objective, it won't work. A bounty didn't work here. Give wolves decent habitat and it takes year round shooting, year round trapping, poison, aerial hunting and a lot of hard work to just keep them in check. Minnesota had a serious go at eliminating them up into the sixties and couldn't manage it. Continual harassment by human makes for some very smart, very wary wolves. IMO, just hunting and trapping will never eliminate wolves in decent habitat and I seriously doubt that even year round uncontrolled hunting and trapping would have any more effect on them than it does on coyotes.

They are very smart and difficult to kill once they have a little adverse contact with people.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The agency said elk numbers in the region in the last 25 years have fallen from 16,000 to fewer than 1,000.

I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was THAT bad.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Most guys don't have the time and resources to successfully hunt or trap wolves. You don't just walk out in the woods and shoot one. The number taken by hunters is quite low. I've been packing a wolf tag every year since we've had a season but have yet to see one in season.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Why do they always quote the defenders BS and not area people or the Wildlife Biologists who made the studies that were used for the decision? Always the anti hunt BS.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Because the liberal media is doing the quoting.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We got rid of them before because they just killed everything in an area.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Unless they go with every available means to kill wolves, and keep at it every year, they will never get them all. Not to mention, the IDF&G has to keep the Feds and the wolf huggers happy by not allowing the population to get to low or the Feds will take over wolf management for the state.

A year'round season, free tags, with no limit, would not keep ahead of growth. The area is big, heavily covered, and access is tough. This area isn't one big mountain meadow where you could drive your truck right to the edge and shoot a wolf as it chased an elk across the opening in front of you. If it took a week of flying to kill 20 wolves, that should be a hint as to how difficult it would be for a guy on the ground.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Spoken like a true asphalt dweller.....a bounty wouldn't do chit when you need to hike or ride horses 50-100 miles through six feet of snow to even get to where they live......

When I took the class for my Wolf trapping licence F&G was doing everything including a veiled suggestion that they would ignore wildlife violations (like trap check and no rimfire for dispatch rules) to encourage people to target the Lolo Wolf packs......keeping em in check is a lot harder in the wilderness areas than it is down here where there's logging roads and 4-wheeler trails everywhere.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
Unless they go with every available means to kill wolves, and keep at it every year, they will never get them all. Not to mention, the IDF&G has to keep the Feds and the wolf huggers happy by not allowing the population to get to low or the Feds will take over wolf management for the state.

A year'round season, free tags, with no limit, would not keep ahead of growth. The area is big, heavily covered, and access is tough. This area isn't one big mountain meadow where you could drive your truck right to the edge and shoot a wolf as it chased an elk across the opening in front of you. If it took a week of flying to kill 20 wolves, that should be a hint as to how difficult it would be for a guy on the ground.

Well said Lonny.....we were typing at the same time...which begs the question...shouldn't you be at work right now... smile

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Expensive govt solutions to govt created problems. What's new?

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Well said Lonny.....we were typing at the same time...which begs the question...shouldn't you be at work right now... smile

Normally I am, but we are on 4-day work weeks and I love it. Going a couple hours longer each day is well worth it to have 3 day weekends

Heck, with all my free-time, I'll strap on some snowshoes and go whack a half dozen wolves!

Last edited by Lonny; 02/12/16.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lonny,

Off on a rabbit trail..... I loved the "4-40" work week.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hunted moose this past fall in an area where wolf control has worked... back in the day it was relatively easy to find a moose... wolves made that impossible.

We saw legal bulls all day every day through the whole season.

And we still saw fresh wolf and grizzly tracks in our tracks every day.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Expensive govt solutions to govt created problems. What's new?

Keeps em all employed.....not necessarily working.....but employed....

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mannlicher: It is muddled thinking like you demonstrate that got those of us who have to live and sport hunt in the Rocky Mountain west, into this transplanted Canadian Wolf mess in the first place!
The Rocky Mountain west is NOT flat like the central area of FLORIDA!
It is rugged steep and in many places is covered by dog hair type thickets.
Much of the year it is next to impossible to get to, travel in or traverse the country where Wolves are decimating certain (many!) Elk, Bighorn Sheep and Moose herds.
The ONLY way to effectively diminish their numbers is by shooting them from the air.
PERIOD!
I know a Government Trapper who last week killed 6 Wolves from the air - I only wish he had killed 60 more.
Sadly, in the last few years (since sport Hunters were allowed to satrt Hunting the Wolves) the transplanted Canadian Wolves have began to Hunt Elk, Moose and Bighorn Sheep nocturnally (that means at night!) when its next to impossible for sport Hunters to bring them to bag.
The Wolves "lay low" much of the daylight hours now.
At my high country pack-in archery camp of recent, on many nights, its next to impossible to sleep because of the Wolves howling.
Aerial Hunting of Wolves is just FINE with me and in fact I wish they would do more of it.
And with more and more eastern liberal type politicians making more and more wilderness and roadless areas here in the west it is just getting harder and harder to access much of Wolf country - doesn't stop the Wolves from doing what Wolves do it just makes it harder and harder for sport Hunters to try and diminish the current over population of Wolves!
Thanks for nothing rmWf!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

Normally I am, but we are on 4-day work weeks and I love it. Going a couple hours longer each day is well worth it to have 3 day weekends

Heck, with all my free-time, I'll strap on some snowshoes and go whack a half dozen wolves!

Four tens is nice....wish that would have caught on before I left the work force....

Stop and pick me up pn your way.....I'll bring a few traps.....between the two of us we should have the situation under control in no time....

Kidding aside......I don't know about this year but last year F&G was allowing a select few trappers to go into the Lolo well after the season ended......and by select few I mean anyone that would volunteer...I'm pretty sure there was some money involved too but I doubt they classified it as a "bounty"......despite their many down-falls IG&G really is doing everything they can but the Feds have em hamstrung.....

Last edited by FieldGrade; 02/12/16.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.