Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am in need of a jacket. No one around here has the stuff so I can not try anything on. Do their sizes run right, large or small? Appreciated.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Right

XL should work fine, I think we are about the same size. I'm 5'11" and 220 and wear XL

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Great. On order. Can you recommend a waterproof backpack ~1500 cubic inches? I have searched Simms and others and cannot find one in a earthy color.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is the intended use of the pack?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
More of a 'day pack' then lugging an entire camp/critter in?

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
For a day pack I've liked the Eberlestock X1, or whatever version they have now. It's lined so it's pretty water resistant and I've just hosed it out the inside to get the blood out. They also sell a rain cover that will go over it.

It's about an 1800 or so sized pack.

I do consider it a day pack. I have packed out a deer in it, but a bigger pack would have been a little mo better.

I'm also sure there are plenty of other good things out there, I haven't kept up with it.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Best move would be whatever backpack you want, and some sea to summit bags to keep stuff dry inside of it. Gallon zips work good too.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't like to deal with wet backpacks, but I may have to get used to that.

A guy we hit Montague with once, had a waterproof smaller pack, and it sure seemed handy.. I have no clue what it was though.

I have pack covers, but at the end of the day in a small tent etc... you still are going to have wet straps and such.. and if the next day is dry, but your straps are soaked, you'll soon be wet if you don't put rain gear on again..

My last solution was to buy a big cagoule from wiggys... yeah I know.. but it covers the pack and myself, and keeps it all dry... so far so good but not easy access to pack in the rain if you need or desire that...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I always end up doing like Steelhead suggests and get a pack that is water resistant and then use a rain cover. That doesn't keep things dry for very long in a wet environment, though.

I've often thought about trying a pack like the Swiss Army surplus rubberized pack, a few of which are seen here: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/military-surplus-backpack
They run anywhere from $150 to $65.

The other thing to consider is a dry bag backpack. Sort of like this: http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Quest-Mariner-Comfortable-Lightweight/dp/B004OHWXQY
Not as convenient as a regular pack, but it ought to keep everything dry for you. I've got one like the one shown but it is a little big for a day pack. I usually end up using it to put my sleeping bag in, but once I'm in camp, I know I can use it as a pack if I really need to.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Try Northwest River Supply. They sell great stuff and have true waterproof packs in a variety of sizes.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
You should check out the dry bag daypacks made by Gage and Sealine. Also bear in mind you can get a bag or HH stuff locally in town once you arrive.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My Alaska/PNW daypack is a Grundens Gage.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Find a daypack you like. Pack everything in your leaky daypack inside a garbage bag. Double bag if needed. There is no such thing as a waterproof pack or a pack cover that keeps stuff dry for any length of time. I always carry a few extra bags. Freezer Ziplock bags are great for keeping small gear together and dry. Freezer weight stands up better to wear.

No good answer for a pack getting soaked, particularly the straps, other than poncho the whole thing and yourself. You could wrap the straps in garbage bags during the wet time to see if that helps. Seems to me that most strap padding is closed-cell foam, though, so it ought to be just the fabric that is wet and should dry fairly quickly.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Steelhead
More of a 'day pack' then lugging an entire camp/critter in?

Yes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1500 cu. more than a daypack. Less than a game hauler

Ed take a look at the kifaru packs. Speedy but well made with good suspension.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spendy not speedy. Autocorrect sheesh

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by EdM
Great. On order. Can you recommend a waterproof backpack ~1500 cubic inches? I have searched Simms and others and cannot find one in a earthy color.

http://www.nrs.com/product/55411.03/watershed-big-creek-day-pack

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The Patagonia stormfront rolltop pack is a comfortable daypack and truly 100% waterproof. I have taken it all of the mountains skiing and flyfishing. It also hung out in the bottom of a flats boat for a week in Belize. It rained everyday and everything stayed bone dry.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,920 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.