Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
Up until about 1900 a primer was used to teach grammar school kids. It started off with something like A is for Adam, C is for Christ who died for our sins, etc.

How about M is for Muhammad, K is for Koran, and H if for Hadith?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Ringman
Up until about 1900 a primer was used to teach grammar school kids. It started off with something like A is for Adam, C is for Christ who died for our sins, etc.

How about M is for Muhammad, K is for Koran, and H if for Hadith?

Exactly, which is why public schools were a schidty idea in the first place. The Catholic schools were started because the public schools were "Protestant", for the most part.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The Constitution does NOT call for "separation of church and state"
It prohibits the establishment of a government religion - fallout from the Church of England, and persecution of Quakers, for example.
IOW .gov can't restrict any religion nor establish supremacy of one over another. Atheists have no religion - so are irrelevant, by definition.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If a tree falls in an empty Forrest, will anyone hear it?

Who gives two schitts?

Moving on............it's Friday.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Atheists have no religion - so are irrelevant, by definition.

Not according to the Supreme Court. An atheist or a group of atheist brought a suit. The Court decision was they represent a religion.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
Originally Posted by UtahLefty

You fuggin' ignoramus.... .

really?

after 10 years of coming here every day?

after answering 1-2 veterinary PMs every day the whole time?

that's all the truck it's worth?

just another [bleep] on the internet?

fine, I guess.

carry on...

Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If a tree falls in an empty Forrest, will anyone hear it?

An empty forest does not have trees. It's called a meadow or the plains.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

really?

fine, I guess.

carry on...

Yep, you're a REAL DUMBAZZ, 'cause you think goin' to vet school and having folks call you "doc" makes you a goddam expert on everything, like the US Constitution you've never bothered to read.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
generally:

atheist = actively anti-religion

agnostic = don't care

I think the former makes a stink because there's actually a separation of church and state written into the constitution and they want to keep it that way
Actually there isn't. It says that the federal government can't establish a religion OR PROHIBIT THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF. It says nothing about a state, county, or city establishing a religion. It says that an atheist can't use the constitution to prohibit anyone from practicing his religion. The constitution has been badly twisted to get where we are today.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Atheists are just another activist group seeking their 15 minutes of fame, nothing more, nothing less

Well I'm not seeking fame. And I want everyone to worship or not worship as they see fit. I don't wear an ATHEIST badge, or chip for that matter, on my shoulder.

I will say I believe there are 2 categories of atheism. The ones who don't give a crap and go about their lives leaving everyone to worship or not worship their god/gods and false idols as they see fit.

Then there's what I like to call the 'militant atheist'. This type of person DOES have a chip on their shoulder. And they want to involve themselves in everyone else's business. And I despise these people. This group includes those wackos from Wisconsin, the Freedom From Religion Foundation, with nothing better to do than stick their cheesy-booger filled fuggin noses where they are not wanted and don't belong.

But I did just troll Ringman in another thread so maybe I'm a little 'militant' tonight but it was in the name of science and good fun.

And yes, "under God" should stay in the pledge and on our money.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
maybe I'm a little 'militant' tonight but it was in the name of science and good fun.

I'd like to see you militants get rowdy with them islamist fellas grin

You know, get em all lined out and such.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I always thought this separation of church and state business was just bad language run amok,based on a letter that is not even codified, and carried no weight of law, being nothing more than a convenient term that some justice latched onto in a moment of intellectual depravity.

Especially since the entire underpinning and foundation of the Constitution is predicated on (a) the recognition of a deity,and (b) Judeo/Christian values,which are embodied into the fundamentals of our entire legal system.

I do agree that it says what it says...that ...."Congress shall make no laws affecting the establishment of a religion",or the free exercise thereof (my memory of the language . I did not look it up).

I also agree that these principles have been enforced upon the states via the 14th Amendment.

I don't recall that Congress ever made any such law,and banning school prayer on that predicate seems pretty thin logic to me. Local schools are not "Congress"; hanging a copy of the Ten Commandments in public places is not pursuant to a law passed by Congress; and nativity scenes at Christmas are not on the public square by an act of Congress.

But how we go from that language, strictly interpreted, to banning the display of the 10 Commandments in public places,is a stretch.

How can you,on the one hand,create an entire legal system based on the tenets of Christianity,and then simultaneously ban any reference to it? It makes no sense.

I don't think the Founding Fathers intended a "wall" at all; I do think they intended that the government should not establish a state religion;nor should it prohibit one from practicing the religion of his/her choice. Seems pretty simple to me.

The Establishment Clause has been perverted.

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/12/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

really?

fine, I guess.

carry on...

I hope you can understand my disappointment to find you're not the intelligent well reasoned man I had you pegged for.

Hope you can sleep tonight

Well played btw, well played indeed

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

really?

fine, I guess.

carry on...

Yep, you're a REAL DUMBAZZ, 'cause you think goin' to vet school and having folks call you "doc" makes you a goddam expert on everything, like the US Constitution you've never bothered to read.

Darrell, are you ever not a total jackass? It's not like an EMT with a lapsed certification has any more training on the Constitution than a vet does.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't remember the fool's real name but is Bluemonday our buddy TAK?

Some of his posts on other threads have a distinct odor to them...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Look, I'm no constitutional expert, but this argument is another example of folks forgetting all the history that led up to what we call "Separation of Church and State."

If any of y'all have any kin hailing from England, and they showed up here in the 17th Century and you have any idea of why they showed up here, you probably have the story staring at you from the pages of your family bible.

Up until Henry VIII, the church in Britain was like a whole separate state within a state. Henry VIII removed the Roman Catholic Church from the political mix and made himself the head of his own church. For the next 200 years, Britain was in turmoil over this, as the Protestants and Catholics fought over who was going to be the head of the church and whether or not any other faith besides the official state church was going to be allowed.

For a good many of us, this was the impetus for our families to come to America. One side would take power and go about persecuting the opposition. Titles were seized, lands confiscated and the only alternative was to flee to America. You might also be a member of outlaw sect. Depending on how the winds blew, you were either left alone or hunted down and killed, and you never knew from year to year whether your past associations with a given religious practice might be criminalized.

KYHillChick's kin were like that. At one point, they were top of the heap, and overnight were thrown out of power and had to flee large holdings and run to America. In fact, she had kin on both sides and in the space of a decade or so, both sides had to flee to the Colonies. One side was a neighbor to the Washingtons of Virginia and ended up being George's mother. The other side settled in North Carolina and then had to flee over the mountains before finally settling in Kentucky. The point is, it did not matter which side you were on-- both sides got it in fairly equal measure.

My point is that THAT is the kind of political shenanigans we as a people meant to eradicate from our world. We found that having the state and its leader acting concurrently as the head of the religion was against the common good, since you never knew who would be in power and therefore never knew how to pray.

The other facet of this separation doctrine was a bit less dangerous but rather insidious. In the Colonies, clergy had to be educated and ordained in England, and the Church and therefore the king could control who was sent to each pulpit and dictate what was preached. As the cultures diverged, the church became more and more alien to the parishioners. It became a vehicle as well as a symbol of oppression.

This whole idea that the state and religion being separate was a battle that was fought and won, for the most part, prior to the Constitution being written. We, living in 21st Century America have a wholly different fight on our hands, namely the government trying to actively limit religious expression under the rubric of "Separation of Church and State."

My suggestion for its resolution is simple and straight forward. Wherever those that seek to limit religious expression wish to work their mischief, I say flood it. If your children are being told they cannot pray in school, then I say tell them to pray openly. If they are told that Jesus cannot be mentioned in school, say his name every day in every way. If you are told that GOD cannot be somewhere, then make it your duty to put him there. This is the simple act of civil disobedience. They cannot expel all the students. They cannot fire everyone. They cannot put all the believers in jail. They cannot put them all in camps without turning the country itself into a jail. If school is barred to the Faithful, then there will be no school. If they seek to disenfranchise, then vote them out while you still have a chance.

For here is what I predict: once the opposition has been squelched. Once YOUR god has been silenced, these bastards will set up their own god and make YOU pray to him. It has never been otherwise in the history of mankind.

Last edited by shaman; 02/12/16.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Can't remember the fool's real name but is Bluemonday our buddy TAK?

Some of his posts on other threads have a distinct odor to them...

Same/same

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem with this is that UtahLefty, BobinNH, and shaman are each correct.

There was always to be a separation of church and state. Yet, the Establishment Claude has been perverted. And, for the purpose of eliminating all gods but that of the State.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The constitution has been badly twisted to get where we are today.

The most important statement in this whole thread. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If I were an Atheist, and I seriously believed what I didn't believe in, I'd be doing something to make sure the deluded religious morons kept the right to pray as often as loudly as they wanted. I'd even think about wearing a WWJD T-Shirt myself. Here's why: after they're done shuttering the churches, they'll be forcing you on your knees, praying to something you don't want just like the rest of us. Take it from the guy who walks around with a funny headdress and a rattle-- you really don't want to get on the wrong end of this deal.

Traveling to deer camp, I drive several back roads to get to where I'm going. I've written about this before, about the epiphany I had one Sunday, driving back to town at sundown and passing all those little white churches, all of different demoninations with the parking lots filled and the lights blazing and choirs signing, and all inside thinking it was they alone that held the pass to salvation. And here was I , in my truck, listening to obscure Jethro Tull.

In long years of ancient time, stood alone a friend of mine.
Reflected by the ever-burning sigh of a god who happened by.
And in the dawn, there came the song of some sweet lady singing in his ear.
Your god has gone, and from now on, you'll have to learn to hate the things you fear.
We want to know, are we inside the womb
of passion plays, and by righteousness consumed?
Or just in lush contentment of our souls?
And so began the age of man.
They left his body in the sand.

Their glasses raised to a god on high who smiled upon them from the sky.
So take the stage. Spin down the ages. Loose the passion. Spill the rage upon your son
who holds the gun up to your head -
the play's begun.

Everything seemed right in the world that night, and perhaps that is truth, because we all think we have the answer, and in God's eyes we probably all look like that, little white churches like so many little white ant hills on so many little garden paths. That's a good thing, I think. It was the way He meant it to be-- a bunch of little white ant hills with a bunch of little black ants inside all safely assuming that they have the right answer.

Last edited by shaman; 02/12/16.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 38 invisible), 1,939 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,417
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.