Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
Hunters aren't solving this, we can buy five wolf tags each, every year. To much very difficult to access country here, including vast areas (4,792,969 acres) of designated wilderness with none out side walking or horses.

then I guess not enough people care about killing wolves.

Sam......

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Some photos from part of the Lolo zone. Aerial gunning and trapping is the only real option to effectively remove enough wolves to make any difference. Most of the area is steep and rugged country with very limited road or trail access.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Hunters aren't solving this, we can buy five wolf tags each, every year. To much very difficult to access country here, including vast areas (4,792,969 acres) of designated wilderness with none out side walking or horses.

Every hunter I know shoots Wolves on site.....even before it was legal so don't put this back on ID hunters you condecending prick.....it's the Feds.....Most of which are asphalt dwelling yankees like yourself.....who let this chit get out of control....

If killing Wolves is so easy why don't you bring your loud mouth out here and kill a pile of em for us lazy fuggers........
You wouldn't last two miles in there you phony pfuk....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Incredibly naive of you...

When the AK wolf population went through the roof many tried to kill wolves but few did. It ain't that easy.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
The agency said elk numbers in the region in the last 25 years have fallen from 16,000 to fewer than 1,000.

I knew it was bad, but I didn't know it was THAT bad.

Killing 20 wolves in that are will have no measurable effect whatsoever.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spend a few weeks in the back country every year, mostly horseback, with a wolf tag, and I have never even gotten a decent shot at one. They are incredibly wary now that they are being hunted. They move through the toughest terrain like water, and even a skilled rider on a good mountain horse has no chance of following once they decide to get out of dodge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wisconsin DNR took a different approach to wolves drastically reducing the number of elk in Wisconsin. Instead of shooting or trapping wolves they trapped elk and moved them out of harms way...so they thought. grin

Then the Feds de-listed the wolves and we got to hunt them for a couple of years until a Federal judge out east decided against it. Elk herd continues to suffer from wolf predation, so the DNR decided to import more elk from Kentucky and place them south of the northern range of the wolves.

Southern wolves have been dining on those Kentucky elk.

We got rid of the wolves once here in Wisconsin...last known wolf was eliminated by 1960.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

From both of your comments, it's obvious you have no clue what you are talking about....

Lochsa, really nice pics. That gives a glimpse at what a guy on foot would be facing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lonny

Lochsa, really nice pics. That gives a glimpse at what a guy on foot would be facing.

I've hunted in the upper Selway around the Lochsa river & it's probably the absolute toughest country I've ever hunted anywhere.

Not sure exactly where the pics are taken from but it looks to be the same.........until you're in it, you cannot imagine how really tough it is.

The only way to get rid of the wolves is with traps & poison.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All this talk about how tough wolves are to kill, six feet of snow, steep mountains...

I killed one on the way to my mail box! grin

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wolves have started camping around my house this winter.
had three in the drive way last week looking for my dogs. left in a hurry when i stepped out with the AR.
[Linked Image]
just a small pack. was told by a wolf expert that they only run in 4 to 6 dog packs. they must be holding a family reunion above.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Are we just now starting to appreciate what a feat it was to get rid of them in the first place? ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deerstalker
had three in the drive way last week looking for my dogs. left in a hurry when i stepped out with the AR.
[Linked Image]
just a small pack. was told by a wolf expert that they only run in 4 to 6 dog packs. they must be holding a family reunion above.

Is that an AK picture? Several big areas up here had some monster packs. A pack that big can and does kill a ridiculous pile of big critters in a hurry.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerstalker
[Linked Image]

Holy SH*T !!! eek

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are videos of even larger packs due west of Anchorage from back in the wolf peak days. IIRC over 40 in one long line.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I counted 24 wolves in the string -they could destroy a lot of big game animals for sure.

I've never hunted any further north than the Stanley area if Lolo is much rougher than that I don't know that I could do it.
I've left the truck in a dry area and the first mountain had me nearly out of water. Climbing that loose scrabble -two steps up slide back down 1.5 steps- will get you fast.

On foot the hunting is very hard if you aren't an ounce counter with your backpack outfit and rifle etc. you better be in tip-top shape .

If pelts were selling for really high dollar -trappers could put a small dent in the wolf population -pack in a truck load of snares and traps .
I do agree that the only way to make a big difference would be year round hunting and trapping and that isn't going to happen legally -so? mans got to do what a mans got to do.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never hunted any further north than the Stanley area if Lolo is much rougher than that I don't know that I could do it.
I wouldn't say that Lolo is more rugged than the Sawtooths but it's definitely more dense. North Idaho gets more water so there's thicker timber and more brush. It can be pretty nasty.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've hunted some very thick terrain in my day - besides not being able to see very far -the wind always blows 360* in those places.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by roundoak

Then the Feds de-listed the wolves and we got to hunt them for a couple of years until a Federal judge out east decided against it.

Same thing happened here in ID. We had a wolf season, then some bunny huggers filed suit, and a federal judge declared the hunting season illegal. Our governor negotiated with them for six months and they wouldn't budge. So he got on the radio and declared the Canadian Gray Wolf a clear and present danger to the wildlife of the State of Idaho and enjoined all Idaho state employees from enforcing any Federal law concerning wolves. Then it was open season for a few months before the judge saw the error of his ways. They haven't messed with our hunting season since.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Since de-listing in Idaho I have spent 13 weeks trying to shoot a Wolf. I have tried spot and stalk, still hunting and calling. I have hunted in the Sawtooth, Frank Church and White Cloud Wilderness area and in the Salmon zone from the Montana border and Hwy 93 to the Montana border on route 28. I have tried from October through March. I guess I need more skill and experience and drive.

Thanks for the encouragement and insight.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 02/14/16.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 907brass, 13 invisible), 1,187 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,234
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.