Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BSA1917hunter, I'll take it and PM you for the details! Thank you

GSPfan, I bought one from Numerich, the one they sold me was for a 94. I gave customer service the dimensions of the correct one and they told me that they didn't have it.

Thanks to both of you for the help!

Last edited by Bobmar; 02/13/16.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan
At the time I couldn't find an original hood to save my azz. I'm just anal enough to want the hood regardless as I think the gun looks better with one. The prairie dogs didn't seem to mind:)

Ha ha... I'm anal too, but in a weird way (you guys already know that). I'll throw my "all original" pre 64's into Mcmillan's all day long, but it damn well better have the original front hood on it!!!! laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Original rear sights too. I've seen these sell for $275.00!!!! :

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BSA out of pure curiosity what problems have you had with USPS money orders? I have always thought these were as good as cash.

Money orders are good. I never take them to the Post Office to cash, as they never have enough money. The bank can call a number and verify the origin of the MO immediately. I always prefer them for those reasons...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bobmar
BSA1917hunter, I'll take it and PM you for the details! Thank you

GSPfan, I bought one from Numerich, the one they sold me was for a 94. I gave customer service the dimensions of the correct one and they told me that they didn't have it.

Thanks to both of you for the help!

Bobmar, I have to apologize for my post to you before because I know you were looking for one and I suggested ebay:

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Good luck with your search. Generally, the going rate for one of these is $40.00+. Like others have said, ebay is a great source for these...

I bought 2 of these front hoods because I like to keep a spare around. I had 1 rifle that bucked its original front hood off and I looked for an hour and could never find it (I was on my hands and knees looking around in the gravel), so I went to my smith and he sold me a couple. The one I put on (what is now) EricM's 338 win mag holds tighter than its original did. Eric, be warned. That rifle bucks a little... laugh whistle

Bobmar, I'll look for the pm and I'll get this front hood sent off to you asap. Hopefully shipping it to "Nova" won't be a problem. Thanks..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
BSA out of pure curiosity what problems have you had with USPS money orders? I have always thought these were as good as cash.

Money orders are good. I never take them to the Post Office to cash, as they never have enough money. The bank can call a number and verify the origin of the MO immediately. I always prefer them for those reasons...

Thanks shrap. I forgot to mention that. You are absolutely correct. I've heard that a time or 2. "I don't have enough money in the till", "you'll have to come back later"...... I come back later 2 or 3 times and then have to talk to the post office manager and tell them, "I've called the number on the back to confirm it's good. Can you please call the number and check it for yourself??" A lot of unnecessary bullchit hassle as far as I'm concerned.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The high cost of "parts" have led many a gun to be reduced to just parts rather than being rescued, but I guess the parts have to come from somewhere.

30 some years ago I bought a 270 FWT that someone made an attempt to free float the barrel with what looked like a chain saw! We didn't have access to "parts" then other than Gun List. I had it restocked with a nice piece of Fiddle back walnut and still have the gun today. Today you could find an original stock to replace it or heaven forbid a synthetic stock. Sorry BSA I just can't arm up to these to dam old I guess:)

I recently bought an original 270 FWT just to keep the FWT collection 100% original.

Last edited by GSPfan; 02/13/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PM sent. NOVA stands for " Northern Virginia", but I had a sweet 69 Nova in my youth!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The high cost of "parts" have led many a gun to be reduced to just parts rather than being rescued, but I guess the parts have to come from somewhere.

30 some years ago I bought a 270 FWT that someone made an attempt to free float the barrel with what looked like a chain saw! We didn't have access to "parts" then other than Gun List. I had it restocked with a nice piece of Fiddle back walnut and still have the gun today. Today you could find an original stock to replace it or heaven forbid (just my preference) a synthetic stock.

I recently bought an original 270 FWT just to keep the FWT collection 100% original.

I hate to say it, but yes I've sold some parts like original stocks. Mostly on ebay because I get more money there: $400.00 for the last aluminum butt plate fwt stock, as a matter of fact. I hate to box up a stock, knowing it will never get used again. Someone out there can make use of it. I'll never intentionally part out a rifle for money though, but if someone can use a part I'm not using. I'll sell or give it to them.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bobmar
PM sent. NOVA stands for " Northern Virginia", but I had a sweet 69 Nova in my youth!

Ha ha. Ok, that's cool. I was hoping it wasn't Nova scotia or something like that.... laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

30 some years ago I bought a 270 FWT that someone made an attempt to free float the barrel with what looked like a chain saw! We didn't have access to "parts" then other than Gun List. I had it restocked with a nice piece of Fiddle back walnut and still have the gun today. Today you could find an original stock to replace it or heaven forbid a synthetic stock. Sorry BSA I just can't arm up to these to dam old I guess:)

Good man, the more I shoot my 270 fwt, the more I love it. I've always been a bigtime 30-06 lover, but this damn 270 is great. Damn near perfect in the fwt platform.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm off to the gunshop(s). My buddy told me about a few stocks he found in a small town local shop. One was supposedly an original 338 Alaskan stock.... eek. The other may have been a 375 H&H stock. The shop also has a nice (according to my buddy) 375 H&H for $1,800.00..... whistle. We'll see what happens. I also plan on going and holding my 243 again too... laugh crazy

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'm off to the gunshop(s). My buddy told me about a few stocks he found in a small town local shop. One was supposedly an original 338 Alaskan stock.... eek. The other may have been a 375 H&H stock. The shop also has a nice (according to my buddy) 375 H&H for $1,800.00..... whistle. We'll see what happens. I also plan on going and holding my 243 again too... laugh crazy

Goodluck!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Put that 243 on layaway! They only stick around long enough to break your heart. Once your in love, somebody else will swoop in.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Put that 243 on layaway! They only stick around long enough to break your heart. Once your in love, somebody else will swoop in.

Ha ha.. There are always more out there. I ran into one today with a recoil pad added for $900.00 with a 10% discount. Total price would be $810.00.... I also found a nice 1955 30-06 fwt with recoil pad added for $749.00 with a 10% discount. Final price on that one= $675.00... whistle . However, the only real downfall to both of those rifles were the bolt bodies had been jeweled. cry

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You don't know what your missing until it's gone. My FWT 243 has accounted for lots of Muley's, Antelope and White tails. You'll love it just like the 270.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The auction has ended and it didn't get past my bid of $1700 which missed the reserve. We will just have to wait and see. I picked up an very nice 22 Hornet and a 300 Savage after auctions ended and the sellers came down from the clouds.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You don't know what your missing until it's gone. My FWT 243 has accounted for lots of Muley's, Antelope and White tails. You'll love it just like the 270.

I hear you my friend...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Regarding the front sight hoods, has anyone thought of filing the bevel on the other end of a repro and touching up the bluing? $12.00 vs. $40.00 it's an easy decision for me.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Regarding the front sight hoods, has anyone thought of filing the bevel on the other end of a repro and touching up the bluing? $12.00 vs. $40.00 it's an easy decision for me.

You can, but then you are falsifying what is known to be a reproduction part. They can make them that way because it is not "exactly" like the original. It doesn't infringe upon the Winchester patent, but if you modify one and try to pass it off as an "original", that can get iffy... Good luck with it though.. I'm not saying this is your intention or that anybody would really give a ratz azz, but you get my drift. I hope..

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by gunswizard

I've seen it done....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

358 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 38 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.