24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My experience is not with stock/horse trailers, so take that for what it's worth. Regarding horse trailers you've gotten some pretty good advice from folks like Sam.

Happy trails!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
GB2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One thing I didn't see anyone mention is that with torsion axles you should pay more attention to leveling the trailer. They don't have the load equalizing ability that springs do. If the trailer isn't level, then one axle is carrying more weight than the other and you will wear the tires more or even have blowouts on that axle. BTDT

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jerryv
One thing I didn't see anyone mention is that with torsion axles you should pay more attention to leveling the trailer. They don't have the load equalizing ability that springs do. If the trailer isn't level, then one axle is carrying more weight than the other and you will wear the tires more or even have blowouts on that axle. BTDT

Jerry

This is exactly what I was referring to in my post. Jerry thanks for clarifying.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We ran torsion axles on the old boat's trailer. It did ride nice, and never had a problem with them being torsion. It had other problems, caused mostly by the fact that it was a triple axle and generally a POS.

The new boat rides on a tandem axle trailer with leaf springs. It clanks and clunks if you drop it off a curb, as the equalizers do their thing. Other than that, it is great.

Boat trailers are convenient in that you level them once, and then they stay pretty much static. smile

My flatbed is a tandem axle with torsion axles, and behaves as mentioned earlier - bouncy when empty, will lift a tire on uneven ground. Being a 30 foot flatbed, you have to pay attention when you load it - getting it out of level is easy to do and not a good place to be. Once you get that figured out though, I've got no problem with the axles.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With tandem axles and springs, it's said that a bump is just half a bump. The Equalizer between the springs will even it out so the trailer doesn't get tossed as much. Torsions won't do that.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
159 members (35, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.