Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I used my 03 2500 HD today.

tried to open the back door and ripped the door handle off.

Something clever here.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sucks for you. We have a few Fords as work trucks. Not immune to trouble I can assure you. mtmuley

Last edited by mtmuley; 02/13/16.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Just sharing my experience with the 2003 3/4 ton Chevy that I own. Which is the HD version.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
one of our work trucks was a '95 Chevy one ton with 6.5 diesel. everybody hated it until we got a brand new F350 CC gasser.

now they miss the chevy.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by toad
one of our work trucks was a '95 Chevy one ton with 6.5 diesel. everybody hated it until we got a brand new F350 CC gasser.

now they miss the chevy.

They have lost their damned minds...the 6.5 was a turd. The only thing it has on any modern gas motor is fuel mileage.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't know about that. Those $Hitty 6.5's pulled like crazy and ran forever even when abused. Lack of electronics maybe. mtmuley

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Every 6.5 I ever drove was an absolute dog...and was unreliable as hell. We, at one time, had a 6.5 GMC, a 460 Ford, and a 454 Chevrolet, all within the same generation, and all 5 speed..the 6.5 was easily the weak sister, and in the shop considerably more.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
that 6.5 would have smoked the F350. the ford drops two or three gears and screams it's guts out just climbing the Bozeman hill while the Chevy cruised over in OD. the overloads are ~1/2" from full contact, so every piece of road gravel makes them slap the stops. sucks what seems 2X the fuel of the old 6.5...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The best truck you could put together (in my opinion)

An F350 with a 12 valve cummins, backed up with an allison trans.

Put me on the list. I'll take one. Make mine a 4 door 4x4....I'm not picky either. '95 or thereabouts body style would work.. I miss my '95 1 ton. I was 21 when I bought this one:

[Linked Image]

'96 cummins with a 12 valve pulled pretty good:
[Linked Image]

But when I think of "old" 3/4 tons, I think of my '79 Powerwagon that I restored:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the opinions. I think the 6.0 is at the top of my list if I can find one without a ton of miles. I see more diesels available or seems so wanted to keep the option open but wondered if the Ford was worth looking at vs sticking with gm. You guys confirmed my suspicions on the 5.4.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Nice power wagon!

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm looking at dumping my 6.0 chev and replacing with a F350, 5.4 or V10 will work for me.

I'm trying to keep the weight down up front since I will be mounting a Boss V plow so I'm thinking 5.4 would be best for me.

My 6.0 chev 2500 HD has 4.10 gears, our 09 F150 with 5.4 has 3.55 gears and it pulls as good as the chev. So I'm thinking a 5.4 in a super duty will likely have 4.10 or deeper. I don't pull 15,000 lbs in the mountains. We are flat landers and I pull car trailers or campers, boats.

Something clever here.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dave, it sounds like you definitely got a lemon in the chevy category. We have a 6.0 at my work and so far it has been pretty dependable and is 10 years old and well over 150k. It has had some minor typical chevy issues but nothing like you experienced. I like the superduty's but just wasn't impressed with the gas offerings and it seems like after the 7.3 is the last good diesel until the latest round. I know people say once tweaked the ones in beteween are good, I just don't necessarily want a diesel and especially don't want one that will be a headache.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I really don't want a diesel period, unless it was something small like a 4bt.

G'damn deisel trucks are so freaking heavy up front.

I'd build a vintage 4x4 truck with D60 or bigger axles with a 4bt and a bunch of manually shifted gears. But that is really the only way I'm interested even slightly in a diesel these days.

I've had so many Ford trucks over the years, I think it's been about 12 of them if I count the vintage ones. I think it's been about 8 or 9 in relatively late models (1990 and up, lol)

I've not had troubles like this with any of them, in fact I liked them all.

This is my first and only Chevy, I picked it up last fall. Previous owner was a Chevy guy, he loved it and was quite proud of it. crazy (check engine lights were normal, nothing to worry about)

It will be my last Chevy, I will never own another one and I can't wait to get rid of it.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I'd build a vintage 4x4 truck with D60 or bigger axles with a 4bt and a bunch of manually shifted gears. But that is really the only way I'm interested even slightly in a diesel these days.

I've had so many Ford trucks over the years, I think it's been about 12 of them if I count the vintage ones. I think it's been about 8 or 9 in relatively late models (1990 and up, lol)

This is my first and only Chevy, I picked it up last fall. Previous owner was a Chevy guy, he loved it and was quite proud of it. crazy (check engine lights were normal, nothing to worry about)

It will be my last Chevy, I will never own another one and I can't wait to get rid of it.

Good call buddy. The only thing that lasts in the gold mines of Nevada are the Ford trucks. I'm surprised you bought a chevy over a ford. I have owned my 04 GMC 1500 sierra 4x4 for 7 years now and it has needed a lot of work. Part of it was under an extended warranty that I purchased separately because I knew the tranny was weak. That also covered a complete front end rebuild. However, it did not cover the stuff I've had to do to it:

Transfer case
Rear end (G80 locker failure)
Power steering failure
Pitman arm and idler arm (as per usual with these trucks) failure: Replaced with Moog parts...

Electronics:
4x4 selector switch
Front actuator
4x4 encoder motor

These trucks are more for highway cruising, than offroad use as far as I'm concerned...

My old Dodge powerwagon would stomp this damn 04 GMC into the ground, but sucked down the fuel... sick

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
in a moment of desperation, due to an impending divorce, I need a crew cab that day, talked to the local dealer, who had just taken a '96 K3500 Crew Cab long bed in on trade, they had sold it new to the lady that traded it, and they had done all the work on it for the last 20 years, not the prettiest truck, had taken a trailer to the bed side, and needed detailed really bad, but only had 120,000K on the 454, they sold it to me at cost, at 4:55 on a Friday. I've had it for 3 weeks now, put about 1500 miles on it, other than the radio, multifunction switch, and door hinge pins, nothing seems to be wrong with it. I'm getting about 13 MPG, and can pull a grade loaded in 5th gear, torque is amazing.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Wow a 96 crew cab long bed? It must take a 40 to turn that thing around. Our work trucks were chevys of that era and just extended cab short boxs and I thought their turning radius sucked. The next generation turning radius improved some.

If it has a bunch of damage on the bed I would slap a flatbed on it. There are times I wish I had a flatbed.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

you sound like me with dodges. i had a '05 1500 that was an unbelievable POS. by 2012 and 80k it had rotted fuel tank, rotted oil pan, rotted cab and bed, worn out balljoints, blown rear end, interior falling apart and intermittent stalling at low speed which seemed to be the torque converter and/or tranny. i took a bath to the tune of about 6k on that POS on tradein but was never so glad to get rid of a vehicle in my life.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
a Ford V-10 will easily outpull a 6.0 Chevy while still getting the same gas milege

a 454 Chevy is a good workhorse , albeit on the thirsty side

lots of them never break 10mpg...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Have several 2500 HD Chevy crew long beds. Never in the shop. I just bought a 15 but didn't really need to. One I was driving just broke 300,000 and the ac quit working but everything else is good to go. It doesn't use a drop of oil between changes.
6.0's are bullet proof.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.