Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
We are going to purchase a new Tundra.. Since my wife and I are going to be traveling south and east over the month of March, thought I would ask if there are any real deals out there on new trucks.. A couple years ago one of the guys here made and excellent buy on a new one.. We want the TRD off road with the V8 motor, 4 wheel drive , etc. Thanks.. Will be on the road for a couple more days til I can check back.. Any help will be appreciated..

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WYO, I got a great deal from Mountain States in Denver. If I was doing it again, I'd go with the straight up SR5 package and skip the TRD. You can get a first class suspension system from Slee in Golden for $1950 installed and you can buy a TRD PRO skid plate for $400. Got the Double Cab as I like a 6.5 foot bed. And the 5.7 is getting around 17 mpg for me. Good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.toyota.com/deals/tundra

I would contact various dealer internet sales departments. Use a "junk email" and start asking for deals. I would take the best deal back to the "local" dealer and try to get a price match. Good luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd search for rebates and special offers here:
http://www.buyatoyota.com/

I also look at www.edmunds.com to get an idea of what kind of deal you can get. Toyotas are hard to get a good deal on.

Dealers are retired gitmo interrogators that can break me in minutes. I prefer to do all my negotiating over email or the phone to avoid their tactics. It's good advice to go to multiple dealers to find the best deal.

Last edited by Whiptail; 02/11/16.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
You may be able to find a left over 2015. I bought my 2011 Tundra in Feb of 2012 and saved quite a bit. There were not a lot of choices but the discounts were there before any negotiating started.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Fighting Chance is your friend.

1) Pick the trim level, options, & color(s) of the truck you want
2) Contact several dealers by phone and email. Let them know exactly what you want, and that you're going to buy one by month's end.
3) Never tell them what you're looking to spend. Just let them tell you what they're willing to sell for.
4) Buy the lowest-priced truck, unless the travel distance negates the price difference.

The whole thing takes 2 days - 1 to call/email the dealers, and the next to call each one back once to see if they'll meet/beat the lowest offer. And you don't have to go to any dealerships until you pick up the truck. I bought a Camry this way 2 weeks ago. There was > $1,700 difference between the lowest & highest priced dealers. I'd expect there to be a much bigger difference on a Tundra.

PM me if you're interested, & I'll send you the letter I used to get the bids.

Good Luck,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you join the costco auto program you will get a better price than you can other way.

Basically they have all the prices on the site and tell you want your going to pay.

All good.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a '15 Tundra and my dad has a '14 Tundra. Our experience mirrored each others. We both have the Limited Double Cab; added running boards, bed liner, plus a couple of smaller items. Motor is 5.7L V-8.

I live in the Kansas City, MO metro area for reference.

I contacted 3 dealers: two came back with the same price while the other was about $700 higher. I called the two and it was like pulling teeth to get them to come down any more. One dealer offered to throw in an extra 4 oil changes ($100/each), while the other dealer dropped his price $500. I think the only reason the one dealer came down $500 is because it was where my dad bought his truck. So, bought mine from the same dealer as dad.

From my experience (2011 Camry and Tundra), Toyota doesn't haggle much. They took off about $2,400 from MSRP on the Tundra and that's it. They don't offer all the dealer incentives, specials, etc. Any incentives come from Toyota factory. Two options: 1) $750 cash back on a Crew Cab, $500 cash back on a Double Cab, or (2) factory financing. I got mine for 0.9% for 60 months and I think right now it's 1.9% for 60 months. I couldn't get that rate anywhere else I looked.

Then there is the Toyota care package that's included: 2yrs/25,000 of free oil change/serve and roadside assistance. Roadside is full 2 years while oil change service maxes at 25,000 (if before 2 years). The 5.7L is synthetic, oil change every 5,000 and an 8-qt pan. Those run you $100-$125. I'll hit 25,000 before the 2 years so that's 5 oil changes, another $500.

I don't know if you have any dealers close to you, but one dealer here will include a dealer backed lifetime power train warranty for as long as you own the vehicle. That's something you might inquire about.

I may be telling you stuff you already know, but figured I'd relate my experience of one (2 counting dad).

He went over yonder way
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Toyota recommends changing the synthetic oil every 10,000 miles on my 2015 Tundra. It came with 2 free oil changes so they can hard sell you while you are in the dealership about extended service programs. Not sure that the "free" oil changes are worth it.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do your own oil changes. Get the discount up front.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can do 2 oil changes with Mobil 1 and filters for under 70 bucks. Not a negotiating point for me. I think the worst part is doing it on their schedule, dropping it off or waiting is a loss of time. I can change the oil in less time than traveling one way to the dealer.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 30338
Toyota recommends changing the synthetic oil every 10,000 miles on my 2015 Tundra. It came with 2 free oil changes so they can hard sell you while you are in the dealership about extended service programs. Not sure that the "free" oil changes are worth it.

I have the Flex Fuel (E85) 5.7L - Toyota recommends every 5,000 miles on these.

As far as DIY oil change vs. shop/dealer... the value is different for everyone. There is a dealer on my way home from work and it takes about an hour to do the oil change and rotate tires. With an 8 qt. pan it's $40 for oil, plus filter (so $50 for material). To change and rotate I'd be humping it to get done in an hour (done enough to know). Then I still have to take the old oil to drop off.

So, in my case, the maintenance offered had some value.

Only thing dealer ever tried to hard sell me on was extended warranty or the protective paint coating and I wasn't biting on those. smile

He went over yonder way
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Heeler
...in my case, the maintenance offered had some value...

But it's not worth giving up a bargaining point.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
All new toyotas come with free service for the first 25,000 miles so don't let them try to sell you on that point, they're already included from toyota. I have two toyotas, the most recent a 2016 double cab tundra. After the free oil changes are done I'll be doing my own, oil changes aren't something I'd ever pay anyone to do.

I used the AAA buying service for mine which is the same as costco, USAA, and several others. They're all ran by the same outfit. I felt like I got a decent deal through it, probably cheaper than I could have negotiated myself.

W
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
W
Just got home.. Thanks guys for the info...

Molon Labe
B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a 2016 Double Cab TRD SR5 5.7 and the 38 gallon fuel tank . Nice truck a lot of punch it was 40k out the door and they paid for the bed liner free service for 2 years . I'm happy got the Pearl Blue

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

579 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,033
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.