Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Patterned again the other day

Tweaked POA/POI and the 2oz #6 long beards are ridiculous at 40 yards

Should have shot further but didn't. Did shoot at 15 yards. It would be easy to miss. I use a speed bead

Also shot a 2 3/4" pheasant load (4s) as that's what I load when my son it on the trigger. It was a turkey killer at 30 yards but not ideal

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've killed turks with ordinary #6 12 gauge Remington Express loads through a plain old full choke at 35-45 yards too many times to count. You guys with your magnum 12's, whiz bang tighter than a rats azz chokes and super duper magic turkey loads crack me the fugg up. You don't have to make a turks head look like a window screen to kill it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah but it fun to shoot at paper and out pattern your buddies gun!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I use an 870 with a 28" barrel as well and have never had a problem out to 45 yards with 2 3/4" shells. One is a tight modified (measures closer to improved modified) choke. It's an older gun and only chambered for 2 3/4" shells. When I used screw in chokes in my express (cheap 870 with matte finish), I still used 2 3/4" shells and 3" on occasion. The 2 3/4" turkey loads still performed just fine. I used the undertaker turkey (super full) choke and got excellent patterns with the federal turkey loads. The older ones with flight control wads worked great. For the op's shotgun, this is probably how I'd roll:

1. Super full turkey choke
2. Federal copper plated turkey loads: #4 or #5 shot with flight control wad.
3. Synthetic camo stock:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BTDT a time or 2..

Federal premium turkey load

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I use an 870 with a 28" barrel as well and have never had a problem out to 45 yards with 2 3/4" shells. One is a tight modified (measures closer to improved modified) choke. It's an older gun and only chambered for 2 3/4" shells. When I used screw in chokes in my express (cheap 870 with matte finish), I still used 2 3/4" shells and 3" on occasion. The 2 3/4" turkey loads still performed just fine. I used the undertaker turkey (super full) choke and got excellent patterns with the federal turkey loads. The older ones with flight control wads worked great. For the op's shotgun, this is probably how I'd roll:

3. Synthetic camo stock:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BTDT a time or 2..

Those lefty 870 hard to come by..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

3. Synthetic camo stock:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BTDT a time or 2..

Those lefty 870 hard to come by..

They are John. I found another one (wingmaster) today and almost bought it. Its a 20 gauge though and pretty damn nice...It has screw in chokes too...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've killed turks with ordinary #6 12 gauge Remington Express loads through a plain old full choke at 35-45 yards too many times to count. You guys with your magnum 12's, whiz bang tighter than a rats azz chokes and super duper magic turkey loads crack me the fugg up. You don't have to make a turks head look like a window screen to kill it.

My sentiment as well. Just use a regular hunting load. Although I would never begrudge anybody trying to get it down to a science and as much of a certainty as can be done for success.

I just grab a gun, get out there, plunk down and start calling.

If i have a hole in my pattern, or misjudge the distance,the Dinosaurs win that day.
One time, I didnt pull the trigger on a bachelor group of three strutting gobblers I called in cause I just wasnt sure how far they were. My barrel blotted all three out, so I let them walk. Got a kick out of foolin them with my calling though.

Some days hurt more than others when nothing is seen or heard, and theres no shooting. But somehow, it never kept me from going back out.

I just like the competition, guessing game, and intensity.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Blackheart, over gunned!!! I have killed a couple with trap loads of 7 1/2's at 45 yards from an IC!!!

Molon Labe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WillARights
Originally Posted by Blackheart

My sentiment as well. Just use a regular hunting load. Although I would never begrudge anybody trying to get it down to a science and as much of a certainty as can be done for success.

I just grab a gun, get out there, plunk down and start calling.

If i have a hole in my pattern, or misjudge the distance,the Dinosaurs win that day.
One time, I didnt pull the trigger on a bachelor group of three strutting gobblers I called in cause I just wasnt sure how far they were. My barrel blotted all three out, so I let them walk. Got a kick out of foolin them with my calling though.

Some days hurt more than others when nothing is seen or heard, and theres no shooting. But somehow, it never kept me from going back out.

I just like the competition, guessing game, and intensity.

Great post. A lot of guys go to extremes, when some of it isn't necessary. Learning to call them in close enough and keeping yourself concealed well enough makes all the difference in the world. I remember calling birds in to within 75 yards and having them say fu ck you, this is all the further I'm coming in. No amount of choke or load will help you out in this instance. I remember killing a big tom with a heavy trap load once, but he was within 25 yards of me. I've also taken one out that flew right above my head when a friend uphill scared a flock toward me. I was using grand dad's old 30" sterlingworth that time and it worked just fine. I've also spotted and stalked and ambushed the sob's too. Learn to hunt them and you got it made... wink

BSA MAGA
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
It is worth pointing out that those who feel light loads and loose chokes work to forty yards and beyond are speaking from a narrow band of experience. If you want to get it done every time, in all conditions, approaching the exercise from such a direction is setting yourself up for heartache. If birds are easy to come by, that might be alright. I miss lots of doves and so what. Gobblers are different. It took me three seasons to get my public land Osceola on my terms. No way would I consider taking anything but a tuned up turkey gun on such a hunt.

I started with a factory choke and a not-so-heavy load of #5s. I never patterned it until I watched a bird run off that should have been an easy kill. Patterning that combination told me I had been running the ragged edge the whole time. It was only consistently useful to about thirty yards. I was killing up to forty and probably could have further if I were willing to gamble on a magic pellet. This is why some of the older birds I kill will have a few different types of pellets already in them. People shoot at these public land birds too far and with crap patterns all the time. They whang away and shrug their shoulders when the bird runs off. Those of us who regularly take our limit are apt to do differently.

Measure your distances accurately and test your set-ups on paper before shooting at birds. Don't just shoot at a small turkey target. That pattern needs to kill that bird all over the pattern, not just in the center. Test in conditions similar to when you will hunt. Test at the maximum distance you intend to shoot and don't shoot further. It is astounding to shoot a nice pattern at one distance and see it fall apart when tested just five yards further. Same thing in different weather.

Personally, I like a combo that will kill to fifty yards, so I know it will do to forty regardless of conditions. I like a combo that is not too tight, just tight enough. The Flite Control wads and Longbeard loads can be amazing, but are not entirely consistent. I'm using the FliteControl in my 20ga, but I bought a choke that pretty much defeats the wad to get it to act normally. It'll dump them lights out at forty. If they're in close, I either let them walk back out or just put the bead lower on the bird.

An example of a combination that would work in all conditions would be an 835 with factory extra-full and Winchester Supreme 3.5" 2oz #6s. I have seen several guns using that combo that were utterly reliable to forty in all conditions. A rig like that, you can be all twisted up with the bird at forty and still get him if your head is down on the stock and the bead is near the middle of his neck.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i will add one more thought to all this and yes i understand everyone has their own idea or preference on what they think works best. i remodeled our house a bit this past fall and replaced all the doors. i took the old ones out to my buddies place where i hunt as we will use them in a bond fire one night. well i patterned a couple different loads at about 40 yrds and besides the size of the pattern the other interesting item was the penetration of various types of shells. i can say will absolute faith that the #6 heavi shot penetrated better than the #5 copper loads did. just a thought.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
i will add one more thought to all this and yes i understand everyone has their own idea or preference on what they think works best. i remodeled our house a bit this past fall and replaced all the doors. i took the old ones out to my buddies place where i hunt as we will use them in a bond fire one night. well i patterned a couple different loads at about 40 yrds and besides the size of the pattern the other interesting item was the penetration of various types of shells. i can say will absolute faith that the #6 heavi shot penetrated better than the #5 copper loads did. just a thought.

That isn't a big secret.

In fact, a big draw of the hevi shot #7 is the fact that it penetrates like #5 lead, but gives a bunch more pellets in the same loading

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
may not be a big secret to most turkey hunters but for any of the new guys i thought i would just mention it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
if you dont wanna pay $10 per shell, Winchester longbeards are the best thing going. If money and time are no object, handload some tungsten super shot!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
It is worth pointing out that those who feel light loads and loose chokes work to forty yards and beyond are speaking from a narrow band of experience. If you want to get it done every time, in all conditions, approaching the exercise from such a direction is setting yourself up for heartache. If birds are easy to come by, that might be alright. I miss lots of doves and so what. Gobblers are different. It took me three seasons to get my public land Osceola on my terms. No way would I consider taking anything but a tuned up turkey gun on such a hunt.

I started with a factory choke and a not-so-heavy load of #5s. I never patterned it until I watched a bird run off that should have been an easy kill. Patterning that combination told me I had been running the ragged edge the whole time. It was only consistently useful to about thirty yards. I was killing up to forty and probably could have further if I were willing to gamble on a magic pellet. This is why some of the older birds I kill will have a few different types of pellets already in them. People shoot at these public land birds too far and with crap patterns all the time. They whang away and shrug their shoulders when the bird runs off. Those of us who regularly take our limit are apt to do differently.

Measure your distances accurately and test your set-ups on paper before shooting at birds. Don't just shoot at a small turkey target. That pattern needs to kill that bird all over the pattern, not just in the center. Test in conditions similar to when you will hunt. Test at the maximum distance you intend to shoot and don't shoot further. It is astounding to shoot a nice pattern at one distance and see it fall apart when tested just five yards further. Same thing in different weather.

Personally, I like a combo that will kill to fifty yards, so I know it will do to forty regardless of conditions. I like a combo that is not too tight, just tight enough. The Flite Control wads and Longbeard loads can be amazing, but are not entirely consistent. I'm using the FliteControl in my 20ga, but I bought a choke that pretty much defeats the wad to get it to act normally. It'll dump them lights out at forty. If they're in close, I either let them walk back out or just put the bead lower on the bird.

An example of a combination that would work in all conditions would be an 835 with factory extra-full and Winchester Supreme 3.5" 2oz #6s. I have seen several guns using that combo that were utterly reliable to forty in all conditions. A rig like that, you can be all twisted up with the bird at forty and still get him if your head is down on the stock and the bead is near the middle of his neck.

Good post. To the OP and others that are new to the sport. It is beyond important to make sure you pattern your shotguns, regardless of what loads and chokes you are using. Know your poi at 40 yards and the density of the pattern. Fine tune it with choke and load over time if you have to, but get it right. I've tried many things and found the Federals work the best in my shotgun with the choke I was running. My buddies have settled on the Winhcester super duper turkey loads and they work great. Remember, every shotgun is different and one may like one type of load over another.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
It is worth pointing out that those who feel light loads and loose chokes work to forty yards and beyond are speaking from a narrow band of experience.

Those of us who regularly take our limit are apt to do differently.

Can't say I agree with that. I took my limit more than a little regularly before I moved to a place without any turkeys. Some springs I go back home to Montana to hunt them and often jump the border into Idaho to kill two more. I did the whole super tight pattern/high dollar equipment thing, but after 4-5 toms I realized it simply wasn't necessary, unless you're wanting to test the extremes of your equipment. Like others have said, too tight of a pattern will bite you at some point.

I have no idea how many turkeys I have killed over the years...probably 50+ in 4 states including fall hens, and I don't believe I have never NOT killed one because I was using the same shotgun/choke/load I use for pheasants/grouse/chucker. Like WyoCoyoteHntr, I've killed them with light #7.5 trap loads, though I wouldn't go out specifically after them loaded like that.

The OP has drawn a rare tag, and to him it may be worth it to go crazy and buy all kinds of new equipment. If that's the case, then good for him. It will absolutely work out for him.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Another simple option that will kill birds near and far is to use Hevi/Heavyweight/Tungsten type shot, waterfowl loads with #2 pellets, and body shoot them.

In other words, use goose guns/loads. It may not be pretty, but it works.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Another simple option that will kill birds near and far is to use Hevi/Heavyweight/Tungsten type shot, waterfowl loads with #2 pellets, and body shoot them.

DD, we'll let you clean those ones out for us.... sick

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

but not here in Missouri. #4 max in the show me state.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Same in Tennessee. #4 is the largest allowed.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 1,962 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,368
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.