Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Burned two pits (slow learner)in a model 70 bolt face with WLR primers a couple years ago. 2 rounds in a hundred or so primers that I know of(DFL722 G). They were the best performing primer with one powder combination.

I had decapped and saved primers from three rounds and saved them for some reason. Had quit using the WLR primers but often tempted to try another 2 lots I had.

As a result of this thread I called winchester. Emailed a photo of bolt face and primer with pinhole and cracked side.

Sounds like they want the fired primers. Asked if I had Any Loaded cartridges. It also sounds like they want all three lots back.

I am not sure the know the extent of any problem.

Thanks for the heads up.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
For those of you sending primers back, are you sticking with the replacement primers or switching brands?

P

I'm going to give the replacements a shot. They seem to be trying to work this out. It would be foolish of them to go to all this trouble only to send out more bad ones.

Like someone said earlier, I like to keep a few different types around so I can follow book data as close as possible, at least to start. Some combos, like Varget in the .308 are not too fussy; others can go South (maybe North?) pretty quick when you start substituting stuff.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
For those of you sending primers back, are you sticking with the replacement primers or switching brands?

I'm going to take the replacement primers - but will keep a close eye on them.

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Update:

On a whim, I called the number above and got Sharon, live. I gave her the lot numbers I had on hand and she is sending out packaging for returning them. I've got to say that I'm impressed with her and with the company's response. Stuff happens; what matters is how it's handled. This is much better than Plan B.

+1.

I left a message for Sharon who called me back within a day. I gave her the lot # of the WLR primers (GML424G; quantity of 1,000). She asked if I had experienced any problems and I told her that I had not used them yet. She indicated that, though there were no reported issues with this Lot # of WLRs, she would be sending a package in which I could return them just to be sure. I also gave her Lot #s for WSP & WSPM primers I had on-hand but those are apparently ok, since she she did not indicate a need to return these. Sharon was very pleasant and responsive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got my call back today and there have been no reported issues with lot XKL. Sharon asked if I was reporting issues with it. I have no pitting on any of the bolt faces the primers have been used in and have never noticed any evidence of a leaky primer. I was simply calling to verify if that lot had reported to be problematic. She repeated that it is not a lot that is known to have issues but to call her back and let her know if I experience some.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

P

I will use up my old Staynless Winchester primers and may use new ones from Winchester if they send me some, otherwise I will be buying Federal , CCI or Remingtons dependent upon availability.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I reported the 5 lot numbers I have on hand and Sharon called today wanting all of them back. 5 unopened bricks and 1 with only 2 1/2 boxes left in it.
BDL
DHL
CFL
EFL
DFL
I have 2 bolts that are damaged, just not sure it's enough to worry with till they get rebarreled.
Guess I'll have to order a collet puller to break down the loaded ammo I have on the shelf.

Last edited by Ole_270; 02/04/16.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Are there any reported problems with wlr white box primers purchased in the early 90's ?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
Are there any reported problems with wlr white box primers purchased in the early 90's ?

Not that I've heard, but call her anyway.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I called Sharon and it seems my WLR supply is among the lots they want back. I'm giving her exact counts today.

So - what primer to switch to? I've used Winchester because they were a bit warmer than the others plus I shoot alot of loads in the 55-60 grain range in my 06 based cartridges. I've always liked a slightly hotter primer. I know CCI 200 are pretty mild.

What are you guys switching to?

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've gotten good results with F210 and 210M, as well as CCI BR2. They're all good, just some may be better than others in your loads. If you're going to switch, pick up a pack or two of whatever you find available, test them, and then buy a bunch of the ones you like best.

When I get them, I'm going to use the new Winchesters for the same stuff I always have. Getting good replacments straight from Winchester should let me avoid the Russian Roulette of buying new ones off the shelf.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/04/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I made the switch to all winchester a while back. I only have a couple thousand WLR so a direct switch only gets through a year of less. I've been using up various other primers in non-hunting loads and am down to a thousand or so there as well. I've looking at stocking up again but am not sure at this point. I've always liked Federals but getting has been as issue in my neck of the woods.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Called Kristen. The lot I got while not finding any others (usually go CCI 1st, then Feds) is one that she said isn't on the list but quite close (within a couple of months of manufacturing) to some that have been a problem and so she's sending me the box for return. IMO they're handling this very well.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bwinters
I called Sharon and it seems my WLR supply is among the lots they want back. I'm giving her exact counts today.

So - what primer to switch to? I've used Winchester because they were a bit warmer than the others plus I shoot alot of loads in the 55-60 grain range in my 06 based cartridges. I've always liked a slightly hotter primer. I know CCI 200 are pretty mild.

What are you guys switching to?

Why switch? Just get new WW primers?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm doing that as well as trying Fed 210. When they say they aren't doing anything different but just had a few bad lots - and are doing a rather large recovery operation - I'm a bit leery.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Is this what we're talking about:

[Linked Image]

?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Is this what we're talking about:

[Linked Image]

?

Pretty much, as well as a face full of gas in my case. My first one had a wee bit of smoke coming from the rear of the bolt is how I was tipped off then 3 or 4 shots later the gas in the face and lost primer.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ok gotcha.

Interesting. That happened to me a couple summers ago and I thought it very strange. I think I may have even posted that pic here before asking what da dileo.

It was a WLRM which I always use under Ramshot powders, in this case Hunter in a 257 Roberts.

The bolt smoked, but I didn't feel anything in my face. I always wear eye protection when working up loads but not always in the field. I know that omission on my part is generally frowned upon.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I had a similar experience about 15 years ago when, following the oft-advised practice of using a magnum primer for spherical powder, I substituted a CCI 250 primer for whatever the manual called for in my .257 load. Never got to the book max, as a primer fell out a couple grains under that. No indication whatever that anything was wrong until I opened the FN bolt and saw the case. No more such silliness for me.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Are the WLR primer leaks happening only with 55-60K PSI cartridges? Are they happening in like 30-30 pressure rounds also?

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.