Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Tarbe Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My brother-in-law's father brought an old Kerner & Son drilling back to the U.S. from Germany, after WWII.

The rifle has sat in the closet all these years, waiting.

Last Christmas, I brought it back to Texas from Virginia. Cleaned it up, slugged the barrel, got some ammo.

Shot it at 50 and the sights were close enough I did not touch anything!

BIL sat opening morning in MO with the Kerner, and had this young 5pt walk past his stand at about 30 yards.

DRT with the 196gr from S&B.

It was a good morning!

Attached Images
2015 Kerner 2.jpg (71.4 KB, 366 downloads)
2015 Kerner 1.jpg (60.84 KB, 274 downloads)
Last edited by Tarbe; 11/28/15.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
BP-B2

Tarbe Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dang, the pics were right-side up on my 'puter.

My kids are right...I am technologically challenged!

USMC 0351

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To get a close up of a Kerner I found this picture on gunbroker.

[Linked Image]

Is yours a 8x57JR?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lucky thing my eyes are O/U, not SxS!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Tarbe Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes, 8x57JR under a 16ga.

Tim

USMC 0351

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Emil Kerner produced some very fine hunting weapons. Even his base models were done very well.

You have an excellent drilling. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Savage_99

[Linked Image]

Is yours a 8x57JR?

How many times do I have to tell you ......no goats on the furniture!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Grand
Originally Posted by Savage_99

[Linked Image]

Is yours a 8x57JR?

How many times do I have to tell you ......no goats on the furniture!

LMAO!!

...and, he looks like he's ready to take a dump on the carpet. eek

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tarbe

Many thanks for the great photo's and the story that goes with them. Most of the people I know who have drillings and combo guns around the greater Atlanta area are all collectors and the guns are never used. When I see these absolutely outrageous drillings, with the exhibition grade wood, perfect checkering done in extra fancy patterns, hand carved designs very tastefully worked into the stock, with gold encrusted engraving, they are usually at one end of "the billiards room" in a $30,000 dollar beautifully hand carved, exotic wood gun cabinet and the guns are shown off over brandy and Cuban cigars after the billiards game. Many of them have never been, and they will never be taken out hunting and that is a shame. But at least people who do that have good taste and they have invested their money wisely because those guns are not going to depreciate in value. And an "investment" is exactly how they are viewed by their owners.

Those guns were INTENDED to be used for hunting and they are very well, indeed, IDEALLY SUITED for hunting. It is good to see that you are doing that and doing it successfully. May the red gods of the hunt look favorably on you and grant you continued success.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are exactly right about those drillings & combos being intended for hunting. It's a shame to see them sitting in safes. I bring in quite a few reasonably priced ones from Germany, and the reports I get back from the owners bear that out.
One guy in AK bought one and loved it. Hunted geese (16 ga/7x65) moose and everything in between with the 22 mag insert barrel. He came home early from work and found his wife... not with his best friend,... but out hunting with his drilling. So he bought her a nice Luxus Sauer in 16/6.5X57R with an insert barrel, so she would leave his alone.. :o)
Peace in the family again.. smile
I hunt with a number of combos & drillings and always think about the guy who made them; looking down from the big gun shop in the sky and smiling at his handiwork being used for what he intended. My wife has a Kerner 20 ga over 6.5X58R Sauer, that is a fine drilling and as well made as any I've examined in 40 plus years working on them and using them. there's a pic on my web site of it.
Greg
Originally Posted by Ragnar73
Tarbe

Many thanks for the great photo's and the story that goes with them. Most of the people I know who have drillings and combo guns around the greater Atlanta area are all collectors and the guns are never used. When I see these absolutely outrageous drillings, with the exhibition grade wood, perfect checkering done in extra fancy patterns, hand carved designs very tastefully worked into the stock, with gold encrusted engraving, they are usually at one end of "the billiards room" in a $30,000 dollar beautifully hand carved, exotic wood gun cabinet and the guns are shown off over brandy and Cuban cigars after the billiards game. Many of them have never been, and they will never be taken out hunting and that is a shame. But at least people who do that have good taste and they have invested their money wisely because those guns are not going to depreciate in value. And an "investment" is exactly how they are viewed by their owners.

Those guns were INTENDED to be used for hunting and they are very well, indeed, IDEALLY SUITED for hunting. It is good to see that you are doing that and doing it successfully. May the red gods of the hunt look favorably on you and grant you continued success.

Last edited by brayhaven; 02/19/16.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
755 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 75 invisible), 2,946 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.