Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
All my backpacking and hunting is in grizzly country... I don't let bears dictate my recreation decisions.

+1

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

BP-B2

S
S
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by Brad
All my backpacking and hunting is in grizzly country... I don't let bears dictate my recreation decisions.

+2

Be prepared for the worst. Hopefully nothing happens.
When it does, make that bear regret it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
Grizzly country is grizzly country.

Be careful and carry spray and a gun.

Travis

Rodger that, safety and be careful.... My spray and rifle are combined wink

More worried about wolves getting on a kill anymore around here, but I'm prepared both ways grin

Last edited by boomwack; 02/09/16.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
People backpack in Yellowstone all the time without problems. However, bears have learned that a gunshot means food. It draws them so hunting can be more dangerous than just hiking.
I read about a case in MT where 2 hunters were dragging a deer by the antlers. They were moving along talking when the deer hung up on something. They turned to see what the problem was and found a bear on the other end.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Having Griz around just adds to the experience --- up to a point.

One night two Griz ran off our horses (8) in the Bob Marshall. We spent most of a moonlit night collecting them. Plumb exciting.

Last edited by LarryfromBend; 02/13/16.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I am in g bears up to my neck in there every fall too. I prefer to pass on the experience, myself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
People backpack in Yellowstone all the time without problems. However, bears have learned that a gunshot means food. It draws them so hunting can be more dangerous than just hiking.

In the fall the grizz are looking to put on weight for the coming winter. They are hungry, pissed off, territorial and confrontational. DO NOT hunt alone!!! They will chew on you just to let you know that you are in their territory. Carry enough gun to get one off of you. That means your fav 270 or 30-06 is not going to work. My elk hunting days w/ a 6.5-06 are over, now I use a 358 Norma. Carrying a big sidearm is a plus as you can get separated from your rifle easily. Ti/Scandium 44 with 320gr cast is the way to go. I would avoid shooting at the dirt in front of them - waste of ammo that you might need to save your life - doesn't always deter them.

I have not hunted in the areas that you point out. I generally hunt in my backyard on the east side of Yellowstone. I don't go into "my woods" alone, during any part of the year. During the spring and fall I don't go out of my house unarmed.

The problem bears (IMO All of them) in my area are trapped and sent over to the hunt areas you are looking at. Problem bears from Jackson and the Tetons and sent over to my area. Some how this is suppose to solve a problem crazy. The only solution to the problem is to shoot them. However if you get caught shooting one w/o having flesh, muscle and blood removed from you - expect a $10,000 fine, possible jail time and a lengthy court battle.

Medicine Bow and the Big Horn mtns do not have griz yet. If you can get a tag there, you will be safer.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Do any states besides Alaska allow grizzly hunting?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by postoak
Do any states besides Alaska allow grizzly hunting?
No. All the populations in the lower 48 are still classified as "endangered", although the interagency recovery team is working to get some populations reclassified as "recovered".

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Don't think we will see Grizz hunting in Montana as long as Malloy is still judge.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I read about a case in MT where 2 hunters were dragging a deer by the antlers. They were moving along talking when the deer hung up on something. They turned to see what the problem was and found a bear on the other end.

Now that would be a pretty interesting deer hunt...

Hunted mule deer near Cody a couple of years. Second year, very few mulies were down low. Went up higher, closer to Yellowstone, with my buddy. We had gone with typical open country deer rifles. I had a .25-06 and he had a .270 Win.

We came across grizzly sow and cub tracks on the ONLY trail into that canyon. Got two mulies out of there. Far enough back in that we de-boned them and packed them out on our backs. One buck we had to leave overnight after gutting it and skinning it... Going back in to retrieve it was an interesting experience.

We did NOT run into mama grizz, or any other grizzly, but we were certainly concerned. I decided to never hunt in grizzly country without a buddy, and with nothing less than a .30-06 and 180 grain Partitions.

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From our local paper. Our county sent 12 griz to Teton county.

http://powelltribune.com/news/item/14491-trading-bears

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
So what happens if you shoot a grizzly in self defense?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not much if it is truly self defense. You have to report it. There will be an investigation.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Can you keep any of the bear? I could see someone killing an elk and using the carcass as bait to get a grizzly as a bonus animal.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
No you can't keep any of the bear. But there's a chance the bear will keep you!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I pack in and hunt with 2 buddies on the Jackson side of Togwotee PASS. We are always seeing Grizzlies. We hunt alone. Each going their own way after we set up camp. They hunt on foot and cover the country. I usually ride my mule up to the top and walk from there. I have stood on top of the ridges and watched them go through the timber and watched grizzlies move out the other side of the trees. One was warned not to come any closer to a sow and two cubs. Their was a male grizz trying to get close to her. Not a good situation to be in. My buddy walked across the meadow to get a lot of distance from her. We have not had a grizz on any carcass or come to any kill site, yet. Lots of stories of them trying to beat you to the animal after they hear the shot. I have been packing in and had fresh tracks in the snow right ahead of me. The sound of the mules hooves hitting the ground has moved them off the trail. I have cane out of my tent and had a sow and two cubs about 50 ft from me, coming right toward me. I had my gun up and the sow took across the creek by the tent, went about 70 yards and stopped to see if the cubs were by her. She then stood up and looked at us over a little tree. She stood there for a while weaving back and forth. I shouted at her to get her a$$ moving and she just stood up taller to see what the hollering was about. Then she lowered and went on up the trail. I know we had seen their tracks around our food tree the night before. One of the cubs had tried to climb the tree and get to our Horse feed. Could not reach it. It does make you pay attention when hunting and around camp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is my neighbor, he lives about 2 miles from me and was attacked about 3 miles from my house. With the exception of the scars he has made a near full recovery. Had he not had police training for 20+ yrs, he may not be among the living. I know that I couldn't deliver 5 out of 6 shots from a 41 mag into a fist sized group. All while losing blood and having your lower jaw swing and only held on by some skin.
I think the cubs went to zoos in Memphis, TN and Columbus or Cleveland, OH.
Yes, there was an investigation and he was cleared of any wrong doing. However, for the 6-8 months of investigation I'm sure he didn't sleep well!!

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...1bfd2c6-78b7-11de-aaaf-001cc4c002e0.html

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by postoak
So what happens if you shoot a grizzly in self defense?

Postoak,

Even when it is very clear what happened, the investigation can drag out for a long time and you can remain in limbo with a pending federal charge for an uncomfortable period. Penalties are very stiff with jail time and fines if you are found guilty of anything except self defense. A friend had a very clear-cut case of an incoming bear, shot at something like 25 feet - with a very lucky shot I might add. There were clear tracks in the snow of exactly what happened. He waited 2 years to learn his fate. They did find him justified. 2 years is a long time to wait. Once it goes to the Federal Prosecutor, it is just in the system until it comes out the other side.

As far as keeping any bear parts as souvenir, that will certainly get you arrested if you try it. There was a self defense killing one year that involved a mother and cubs. The killing was reported as required, but the carcass was left in place unchaperoned until investigators got to it. When they arrived the claws were missing. The investigators were hot on finding out who took the claws. I never heard if they found who had them, but there was going to be a serious federal charge on that action. No one gets to keep any grizzly bear parts outside of those taken in AK and Canada.

We all hope we will never face the need to shoot, and really don't want to have a federal investigation because we did. With grizzlies still listed as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act, it is just not worth getting involved with them if it can be avoided.

W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Jaguar,
Can you provide a reference for the last time someone received jail time out of a reported self defense killing of a grizzly bear in Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
803 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 12308300, 79 invisible), 3,108 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.