Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
We need to get a small grinder to grind our frozen meat into hamburg The meat must be in very small pieces so I can swallow it.
What advice will you offer to us to help make this selection.
There is only most of an elk and a deer to reprocess into burger.
We are thinking that we will grind up enough meat for the week each weekend.
Hopefully, there will not be any need for the grinder after this project is over.

GB2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd take it to a custom cutting shop or willing grocery store and ask them to grind it and package it for you.

They will change you so many cents a pound. It will be cheap and easy.

Small grinders come with a degree of PITA. I'd want one with at least a 32 plate & corresponding HP, and that is expensive.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you won't find a grocery store around here that would allow deer meat in the store. most hunters that only kill a few deer a year will do fine with a smaller grinder like the #5 size.with sharp blades it will grind anything you need .i ran 175lb of pork thru mine a few weeks ago in about an 1 1/2 hours.it never even slowed down.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wouldn't clean a grinder every weekend for it!! once or twice a year is bad enough!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cleaning is simple.run a slice or 2 of bread thru it after grinding meat. then a few crackers. lot of people mess up putting the blades in hot water while full of meat.all that does is half cook the meat and swell it up making it harder to clean.i soak in cold water first to loosen things up.then use the sprayer to knock it all loose.clean up in hot soapy water.i have a lem so the head comes right off to clean. i also have a food control so i never have to touch the motor part and get it all cruddy.brush kit from lem helps if you get some hard to clean stuff.i have one but hardly ever need it.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Do you possibly have a Kitchen Aid Mixer.If so,you can buy an attachment for it that will do the job for about $50. I had an old bull elk that was too tough to chew ,but didn't know that until I processed it. I would take 1-2 pounds of meat out at a time and thaw it ,but still have it firm, then grind it.

They are easy to clean .I have bigger grinder,but this one did that particular job very well.

If the meat is frozen solid,you will have a tough time even cutting it into chunks to grind it and it will take a more powerful grinder to do it.

If not, buy a cheap on for $100-$120 from Northern Tool.

Another option is that most rental stores rents grinders.Rent one and grind it all at one time.

BTW, You won't spoil any meat if you thaw it enough to grind, then repackage and freeze it. A lot of wild game gets frozen in the field before its processed and then thawed out to do so.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/09/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Picked up this small meat grinder at a thrift store for $15

[Linked Image]

Wouldn't want to use it to process an entire animal, but for 5-10# batches it's perfect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Do you possibly have a Kitchen Aid Mixer.If so,you can buy an attachment for it that will do the job for about $50. I had an old bull elk that was too tough to chew ,but didn't know that until I processed it. I would take 1-2 pounds of meat out at a time and thaw it ,but still have it firm, then grind it.

They are easy to clean .I have bigger grinder,but this one did that particular job very well.

If the meat is frozen solid,you will have a tough time even cutting it into chunks to grind it and it will take a more powerful grinder to do it.

Another option is that most rental stores rents grinders.Rent one and grind it all at one time.

BTW, You won't spoil any meat if you thaw it enough to grind, then repackage and freeze it. A lot of wild game gets frozen in the field before its processed and then thawed out to do so.

if you buy the kitchenaid attachment grinder get the metal one because the plastic one won't last long.one of my friends had one that didn't last a season.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I suggest this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

It's a very popular grinder with sportsmen. It's $99 and works like a CHAMP!

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Originally Posted by saddlesore

if you buy the kitchenaid attachment grinder get the metal one because the plastic one won't last long.one of my friends had one that didn't last a season.

OP stated he only wanted a one time grinder operation.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by duck911
I suggest this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

It's a very popular grinder with sportsmen. It's $99 and works like a CHAMP!

Ditto.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Up dated info.
I was told this week that the food will be a long term problem. I am going to order the one from Northern Tool
Thank you all for all the ideas and help.
Phil

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was wondering what brand sake the meat grinder was drinking.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mohick
I wouldn't clean a grinder every weekend for it!! once or twice a year is bad enough!!
...yup, cleaning no fun!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An unusual and funny grinder... Posted by DigitalDan here on the 'Fire in another thread. grin

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/em...&showinfo=0&start=82&end=321[/video]

John
PS: Just click the link, no preview

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Sake might be good right now but I couldn't handle it.
Currently the drinks enjoyed in front of the wood stove are Ensure, Whey Protein and another new one that will provide a 1000 calories pr drink.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
656 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 71 invisible), 2,890 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.