Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Has anyone Denver ever used a horse shipping company?
Typical rates and experiences?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Find a private local going to a horse show in an area near where you want to turn over the horse, who has a double trailer or more and could use a bit of cash

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yea locate a stranger that has a double trailer and needs some cash.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't be silly, they would have references and contacts as this trip would mot be their first rodeo.

People do this all the time.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I should mention I'm not really trying to be a jerk but come on. Obviously a individual going that way would be best but I bet they thought of that. Secondly running across a stranger that just so happenes to be going that way?.....really? The man asked about expierences shipping a horse not ideas from people that don't know much about the topic.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You've got to figure out a way to keep it frozen. Maybe dry ice or liquid nitrogen, depending on how far? If it's a big horse maybe you'd be better off just renting a refer truck.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
Don't be silly, they would have references and contacts as this trip would mot be their first rodeo.

People do this all the time.

So no you have no expierence with the mans question but you do have a hypothetical example of something that would work? Not what he asked about but a real nice theory....lol

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
big box, LOT of tape

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
I want to buy a mule and have it shipped. I am not sending one myself.

NRA Benefactor Member

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When you find one,be very careful. Of late there have been a lot of mules shipped and the end results have not been pretty.Mules especially can be traumatized very severely by rough handing.
You might get on Faceboook and look at Mules of Arizona group and find some references there. Other groups like The Mule and Mules of Texas too ( Paul Garrison III on there would be a big help). Stay away from Mules of New Mexico. A big clique with some people who have no clue of what goes on in mule's mind.

Ty Evans in Utah might be able to help too.He deals in a lot of mules and is OK. Steve Edwards of Queen Valley ranch would be of help too and he is in Arizona.

In you post, you mentioned Denver.If you are shipping out of Denver.You also might talk to Merideth Hodges, Lucky Three Ranch.Google Lucky Three Ranch for contact.

All that I mentioned should know of a reputable mule shipper.

Myself,I would spend the money and go get the mule myself.I have bought mules in NW New Mexico,Iowa, and eastern Kansas, besides Colorado and that is what I did

Unsolictied advice.Don't buy the mule unless you personally go look at it and ride it.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/14/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Unless you really really know what you're doing?...I strongly advise against mail order stock. The fact we're discussing this on a forum would make me think you don't have lots of expierence? If that's the case I'd find a mentor type person to help you get a sound sturdy safe mount.

A good deal on a mail order mule/horse whichever is a great place for a disaster to happen.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've hauled ass before, but never a mule.

I apologize in advance, I could help myself...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Unless you really really know what you're doing?...I strongly advise against mail order stock. The fact we're discussing this on a forum would make me think you don't have lots of expierence? If that's the case I'd find a mentor type person to help you get a sound sturdy safe mount.

A good deal on a mail order mule/horse whichever is a great place for a disaster to happen.

I have raised and ridden mules most of my adult life. The problem is that mules in Arizona are very expensive compared to quite a few other places. A $1500 mule in Tennessee will easily bring $3000 in Arizona. Shipping might eat up some of that savings. There is a much better selection by going nationwide. I have been looking at mules here in Arizona. I am going to look at another one on Wednesday in Southern AZ.

I haven't had a mule of my own for about 15 years and decided I want to have my own and not always exercising someone else's for them.
I can figure out whether I want a particular mule or not, just trying to get advice on SHIPPING them.

NRA Benefactor Member

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Disregard saddlesore at your peril.

Initial cost is not nearly as important as making sure you get what you want on the first try...but you know that I am sure.

Best wishes.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I can't stress enough how important finding a good shipper is for a mule.Two days in a truck or trailer with the wrong shipper can screw up a great mule so bad it can't be fixed.

There are a lot of rescue mules out of kill pens in Texas it seems. $400-$500.

Of course I see a lot of 1st time mule buyers get them thinking they can save the little darlings and then ask " why is my mule doing this" or "I just bought this mule and now I can't catch it"

Ty Evans in Utah brings quite few of those Tennessee mules back and tunes them up then resells them. He seems to be one of the more reputable mule seller/trainers. http://tsmules.com/

$3k isn't bad. That is sort of a base price for a decent mule, but not a great mule. I paid $2800 for a 15 year old 13&1/2 hd mule two years ago and he is worth every penny.I wouldn't sell him for $4k right now.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/16/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I know some people real well that sell mules but not good ones for 1500. You can get trail riding stock for 15 but not nice pretty well trained animals. Big difference between a broke trail horse/mule and a trained pleasure horse/mule.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
I've hauled ass before, but never a mule.

I apologize in advance, I could help myself...

Buy this one ^ ....(you know you'll get a smart one....ass, that is. laugh )

wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Has anyone Denver ever used a horse shipping company?
Typical rates and experiences?

There are probably insured haulers in various horse mags. Like anything ask for references and check them.

Best bet I think and what folks up here do, have someone you know haul, or use someone that a friend has used.

About all I know about mules is that they are too smart for me, and I'm referring to horse hauling.

And as mentioned above, and I would tell clients, purchase is usually the cheapest part of horse ownership, so make sure you have a critter that you can get along with and will do what you need it to do.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by ironbender

.... purchase is usually the cheapest part of horse ownership, so make sure you have a critter that you can get along with and will do what you need it to do.

TRUTH

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kingston
You've got to figure out a way to keep it frozen. Maybe dry ice or liquid nitrogen, depending on how far? If it's a big horse maybe you'd be better off just renting a refer truck.

You can get away with a much smaller container if you quarter it.....

Ill get my coat.

In all seriousness, my drywall guy ships horses from Honduras to Dubai. Its pretty incredible to see pics of how that happens.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

233 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 29 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.